Dame Deborah James Rip.

Such a sad loss,but she's done so much to raise awareness of Not only bowel cancer,but cancer in general. 

She did so in a fun way and helped to bring Cancer out of the shadows. 

As someone  who's had Cancer I know it's important to keep a check on your health.DONT just think it will go away.Cancer is not nice,but I've found  lots of hope and support from it.

As Deborah said check your poo. I would add if you think something  not right,get it checked.

• Like 3

Absolutely agree with your sentiments Ian. Deborah's death is such a sad loss. I'd followed her for the last few years as probably most people who have experienced cancer in their lives will have done (my wife). She was such a positive special person and maybe had more get up and go in her following diagnosis than some people have while fit and healthy. Life is for living!

• Like 3

More to it than just checking your poo, it often  begins with mild stomach discomfort, which comes and go's, how many of us have stomach ache on and off but think it will go away eventually, back ache, is another symptom, not bad but niggly, tiredness, easy to brush off if you are a busy person. Its easy to dismiss all the symptoms as everyday niggles, the problem is that the screening is not totally reliable and blood tests can miss it, the only reliable diagnosis is a colostomy which is not the most pleasant experience.

Bowel cancer is a silent killer, most people put up with the mild ? symptoms until the cancer has spread to the liver and the lungs , even then you just feel a bit off colour.

There are a lot of effective treatments out there but they are brutal on the body, far worse than the original illness, chemo and associated treatments can hold it back, but at a price.

If you have the symptoms be insistent with your doctor, don't just settle for a blood test.

Not a colostomy as that involves surgery, it's a colonoscopy which is basically a camera where the sun don't shine, I've had it done and didn't find it that bad at all (just a dignity thing but no big deal) even got to watch the image on the screen while they did it.

Not trying to be pedantic just didn't want folk frightened off a basic test.

And RIP indeed, such a fantastic job of raising awareness, that takes some guts.

• Like 2

Everyone aged 60 to 74 should be sent a Bowel Cancer Screening Kit every 2 years and starting last year it is being rolled out to those aged 50 to 59.

I should have said everyone registered with a GP.

It is also important  to check on your health.Dont ignore possible  warning signs.If you don't feel right contact your GP.Dont worry about Covid rubbish.Your health is important. If you can't see a GP.Phone 111.They will help.They were very helpful  to me in the past.

• Like 1