Newbie Saying Hello.

RogF

You might be pleased to hear that modern outboard engines are reasonably good at charging your batteries. They are not as good as the diesel inboard engines but not bad all the same. Make sure you set your fridge correctly so that it keeps everything cool but doesn't flog itself to death when there is no need. Get an additional length of shorepower cable because you often get moored too far from an available electric post for one cable. It's all good fun.

On 10/07/2022 at 12:50, RogF said:

How long that will take depends on finding the 16 Virgins that apparently are needed in any renaming ceremony..  :default_dry:

So many jokes there... I'll have to set my alarm for 3am to get past the moderators. :594c04f07a501_default_AnimatedGifCats(124):

Welcome Roger and Margaret.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troyboy said:

You might be pleased to hear that modern outboard engines are reasonably good at charging your batteries. They are not as good as the diesel inboard engines but not bad all the same. Make sure you set your fridge correctly so that it keeps everything cool but doesn't flog itself to death when there is no need. Get an additional length of shorepower cable because you often get moored too far from an available electric post for one cable. It's all good fun.

Ah ha, good thought.  So basically an extension cable, How many metres do you think, silly question as I do not know how many metres I have onboard..  I will don my dunces hat and go into the naughty corner.

So you can all have a bit of a chuckle, or maybe remembering your first visit to you new boat. We have a medium size SUV. It is full to the gunnels with stuff, there is a small carry on case in the corner with our clothes in... My comment is, there is no way we are going to find room for all that toot... but the female is what they are.. Not sure where the dog is going??  :55c8f94984577_default_AnimatedGifDogs(127):

The Broads Authority website has a couple of pages that you might find helpful. One is a list of their free BA moorings, here

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/moorings

and there’s a page on electric hook ups and where you can buy the cards to top up the electric posts, here

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

If you are on a private boat you should be able to access areas that are marked ‘no hire boats’. e.g. Grendel went under Bishop’s Bridge in Norwich (just past the Yacht Station) a while back on Water Rail and went to the head of navigation.

Hi Rodger I would forget wind turbines get a solar panel this will charge 18/7 is your fridge 240v ac  12v dc  gas ? do you have a battery charger/inverta ? you need to find out about these before you rush into buying things. You could well find that you will want to upgrade to a bigger boat so dont go mad and buy stuff that you wont want long term. A user hand book on the broads, a boat hook, is a good start along with checking that your ropes are long enough 1 1/2 boat lengths long, you will need 4.  ref extra petrol cans remember you might have to walk some way to refill it, and only use super 5 grade not 10 grade. if you want advice on your boat suggest you make a inventory of what you already have on board,you will then get correct advice, just take your time and enjoy the new experience its very easy,  just think before you jump. John

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RogF said:

Ah ha, good thought.  So basically an extension cable, How many metres do you think, silly question as I do not know how many metres I have onboard..  I will don my dunces hat and go into the naughty corner.

Just get a second cable. How long is a piece of string is the answer to how many metres.

46 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

I don't know, you give someone 2.54 cm and they take 1.609344 Km

It just doesn't scan the same. :default_biggrin:

Ah but now its really 2.54000508cm but! Up until 1959 it was 2.5399956cms. Until the International Yard & Pound agreement upped it

Dear peeps.

Just back from a few days on our new boat..  

First thing we had to get was an extension lead for the hook up...  Thanks above...  :default_arms:

Wednesday, decided to take all down and before we travelled to our new mooring in S Walsham to take a trip to Coltishal. Under the Wroxham bridge. She says are you sure, me F that go for it.  Lined it up.. perfect.. then I put it into neutral to let it drift through.  I will let your imagination run riot as to what happened next... We reversed and got out quick and went the other way  to Ranworth.  All education.  Thankfully no damage..  Not that I am admitting to anyway...  

We are looking forward to mooring at S Walsham, Wroxham is just busy,  However we met a lot of good helpful people..

Life is good..

R & M

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A couple of things regarding power / hookups:

First I recall (but it's been 2 years) that the Ferry House at Surlingham had it's own proprietary system. Cards purchased at the bar 

In terms of how much cable - as much as possible but I know experts will caution about overloading - the longer the cable the greater the resistance ... it's also worth getting / making a 32A to 16A converter as you are likely to come across posts where both 16A sockets are taken but the larger 32A one is not. 

Enjoy the learning experience!

Helian

• Like 2

On 16/07/2022 at 22:04, Helian said:

In terms of how much cable - as much as possible but I know experts will caution about overloading - the longer the cable the greater the resistance

more important is not to leave it tightly coiled, a 13A cable coiled is derated to 5A as the coil makes it act like a big electromagnet, as well as trapping the heat. 

if you are going to coil, use large loose coils, with plenty of air gaps around the cables, and it should be fine.

cable current carrying capacities are generally for a cable in free air, where it can dissapate the heat, when tightly coiled this heat goes into neighbouring coils and a hot spot forms (the hotter it gets the higher resistance - a standard 25m extension will dissapate about 85 watts as heat at full load), and a fire can occur, loose spaced coils avoid this

• Like 2