Old Hirer Saying "hi"

Davecc

Hello,

My Dad first visited the Broads in the early '50's with a friend. A few years later he went back with his wife(my Mum) aboard an engine-less Gay Lady, which promptly got stuck in the reeds north of Potter Heigham bridge.

My first, and being the youngest of four kids, my family's first visit was in '64 aboard the stationary MTB Grey Malkin at Brundall. I was in a carrycot being only a few months old. The houseboat came with a nice dinghy(Y137) with a Seagull outboard.

Our American cousins visited in '69, who occupied the newly built Discovery Bay houseboat in Horning. We hired the soon to be condemned Botany Bay.

Dates get a little sketchy now;

Queen of Hearts(Y408) was '72 approximately.

Waterway V(D482) the following year, possibly.

Tidecrest from Stalham was definitely '75.

Bermuda(E479) from FB Wilds in '76.

A houseboat on a snowy Oulton Broad followed by Star Glory in '77.

Dad took me and my brother on his own sailing boat in '78.

Anson Bay houseboat in Horning was around this time.

Glen Eagle on the Thames in the late '70's

Treasure Ranger(G799) 1980.

Not me, but my brother and father attempted to sail Sandstar(M3) sometime in the early '80's.

It gets very hazy now..

80's+90's – Roncado(P192), Royal Siesta, Tidecrest(again, but a different boat maybe?), Compass Prince 3(J625), Loch Loyal, Lady of the Lake(Topcraft - a Bermuda style with a rooftop steering option), Connoisseur, New Generation

Bahama Major '04

Fair Duchess '09

Brink's Duet (me solo) '16

Radiant Light (Connoisseur) '22

There is probably stuff I've forgotten, and I'm trying to piece it all together with photos and brochures.

I'll try and put up some photos., or should I use Broadland Memories?

Cheers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Davecc said:

Hello,

My Dad first visited the Broads in the early '50's with a friend. A few years later he went back with his wife(my Mum) aboard an engine-less Gay Lady, which promptly got stuck in the reeds north of Potter Heigham bridge.

My first, and being the youngest of four kids, my family's first visit was in '64 aboard the stationary MTB Grey Malkin at Brundall. I was in a carrycot being only a few months old. The houseboat came with a nice dinghy(Y137) with a Seagull outboard.

Our American cousins visited in '69, who occupied the newly built Discovery Bay houseboat in Horning. We hired the soon to be condemned Botany Bay.

Dates get a little sketchy now;

Queen of Hearts(Y408) was '72 approximately.

Waterway V(D482) the following year, possibly.

Tidecrest from Stalham was definitely '75.

Bermuda(E479) from FB Wilds in '76.

A houseboat on a snowy Oulton Broad followed by Star Glory in '77.

Dad took me and my brother on his own sailing boat in '78.

Anson Bay houseboat in Horning was around this time.

Glen Eagle on the Thames in the late '70's

Treasure Ranger(G799) 1980.

Not me, but my brother and father attempted to sail Sandstar(M3) sometime in the early '80's.

It gets very hazy now..

80's+90's – Roncado(P192), Royal Siesta, Tidecrest(again, but a different boat maybe?), Compass Prince 3(J625), Loch Loyal, Lady of the Lake(Topcraft - a Bermuda style with a rooftop steering option), Connoisseur, New Generation

Bahama Major '04

Fair Duchess '09

Brink's Duet (me solo) '16

Radiant Light (Connoisseur) '22

There is probably stuff I've forgotten, and I'm trying to piece it all together with photos and brochures.

I'll try and put up some photos., or should I use Broadland Memories?

Cheers.

Hi and welcome.  My first trip was in 1947, also in a carry cot apparently on a sailing boat.  As far as I know despite

going to the Broads many, many times - it was the first and only sailing boat hire.

• Like 1