To Cook Or Eat Out Or Takeaway

Andrewcook

Our usual pattern is to moor up somewhere where we can eat out at lunchtime. And then move to a quieter location overnight. Our habit of taking short breaks means we can afford to do this. If we were out for longer we would probably cook on board for a couple of days, but only something simple. 

If anyone happens to be moored up and see the Monzu pizza van, their pizzas are amazing, best I’ve ever had. If you check their Facebook page you can always see where they’re going to be. 

• Like 4

We always stock up on something to cook incase we can not get anywhere to moor. Our oven serves us well and I can cook almost anything but tend to cook something very plain to help with my diet, but will spice things up for the crew.

If we can we will go to a pub for lunch or in the evening. Regarding takeaways they are far too expensive for what you get and you can cook these on the boat or very similar for the fraction of the price.

Regards

Alan

We usually bring a frozen quiche and a pre-prepared meal such as chilli, bolognaise sauce, stew or curry and this covers us for 2 days and keeps our cool box cold whilst in transit. We supplement this with salad  on board if it is warm, and use the boat oven to cook if less warm. There's usually a Chinese takeaway and possibly fish and chips on the menu too.  We tend to eat out no more than once or twice in a week due to the ridiculous cost and unreliability of most of the broadland pubs.

4 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks for the tip, I think I read somewhere that they are occasionally at Ludham caravan site. 

Also often at the Hoveton Village Hall on a Friday, about a ten minute walk from the moorings. 

I think they are in talks with whoever is running the shop at Womack Staithe to see whether they can go back there this summer. 

• 2 weeks later...

As there was a question about the Monzu pizza van, and as we are entering the main holiday season, I hope that it is ok to post this here. They have updated on their FB page that they have a new pitch that may be of interest to boaters.

We’re very excited to be at our New Pitch on Wednesday in the Car park of Broads Tours in Wroxham .

We’ll be here from 5-8 pm serving our freshly cooked Wood Fired Pizza .Preorder in advance (by texting/calling :07895403744 ) -or walk up ( might be subject to wait )

In the interests of supporting other local businesses too, if you walk to the business park opposite Hoveton and Wroxham station you will find Dolly's bakery hidden down to one side, they do have a sign out by the road. Everything I have had from there has been delicious - bread, cakes, scones, pastries ....

Also on that site is Fizz and Fromage, a restuarant that opened last year. I read recently that they have also opened up a deli within their premises, so this might be a nice alternative for picking up a few things. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

1 minute ago, ZimbiIV said:

Eat in or out, depends on a good menu like this example,

paul

DSC00362 (2).JPG

Judging by the prices you’ve pulled that one out of the archives, or are they keeping their prices low by not over complicating their menu?

:default_hiding:

• 2 weeks later...

At 29 degrees in our galley , we decided against cooking this evening and marched on to the New Inn, Horning. Mrs O had scampi, I had a fish cake salad and our cabin boy had a bacon and cheese burger. The food was delicious and not badly priced as these things go. Only snag was that the place was infested with wasps and there were no sunshades over the tables. There were plenty of spaces vacant on their moorings for any latecomers willing to spend a non-refundable £10 on an overnight stop.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to go against my rules of not posting pictures of food on social media.  I have never quite understood why folk post pictures of the breakfast / dinner or tea tbh.

Before digital camera and phones with cameras, I can't ever remember using up film, dashing off to the developers then showing family friends of photo's of what we had to eat! Really?

Anyroadup, our annual Lads week approaches (Tomorrow through to the 15th)  We have a rule that each and every crew member must provide an evening meal for thier respective crew.  That can be prepared onboard, a takeaway or a pub dinner.

Cooking for me is a necessary evil and although I am capable, I do my best to avoid it although I sometimes enjoy doing a FCE

Anyroadup, I always cook onboard for my crew.  So my turn for tea will be rabbit casserole.  It is presently in the slow cooker and will be served up on Saturday. The rabbits were shot by a mate a couple of days ago

Griff

BA NBN 1207.jpg

BA NBN 1208.jpg

• Like 2

Looks super. Good thing you’re cooking it at home Griff. It’d stink the boat out. Love the taste, hate the smell!!

Or maybe in the slow cooker with a tight fitting lid it doesn’t smell?

I’m looking forward to my first pheasant of the season. 

Mostly cook on board but I've only fresh ingredients for one more meal on board, so I'm booked in at Sutton Staithe hotel at 7pm tonight.  Not been for a few months so looking forward to it.

Cupboards will be pretty bare as lift out day, (at last), is Monday so I've been running tings down.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gracie said:

According to my children it's much better if we eat out or takeaway, even when we're at home  :facepalm: x

You remind me of the lady in Butterflies.    Does anyone else remember this series.     I can still see her dishing our the so called gravy.   It was solid.

• Haha 3

On 07/10/2022 at 00:34, twowrights said:

How odd, I had rabbit for tea earlier, done that same way save for the celery. Another difference is mine cost £8-60 (for one!) from our local butcher! Delicious though. 

I didnt even know you could still buy rabbit.     I think I would have to go to a Butchers.     Years ago in Kent Sainsburys used to sell cubed rabbit on a tray.   I used to slow cook that at Christmas time with Brandy and chestnuts to make it festive.   Always delicious.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hylander said:

I didnt even know you could still buy rabbit.     I think I would have to go to a Butchers.     Years ago in Kent Sainsburys used to sell cubed rabbit on a tray.   I used to slow cook that at Christmas time with Brandy and chestnuts to make it festive.   Always delicious.

Can we have the vegetarian option please. Brandy and chestnuts will do nicely thank you:default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

You remind me of the lady in Butterflies.    Does anyone else remember this series.     I can still see her dishing our the so called gravy.   It was solid.

Never heard of Butterflies but done that with the gravy :facepalm:There is no hope, even our resident Chef Ian couldn't save me :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1