Traffic Jam On The Great Ouse

53 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Most of the time my rlm31 was fine once I took the horns off the roof but got stuck the other side a couple of times, it was a wet summer though.

My uncle removed the hard top on the freeman and had a full canopy fitted so he could pop the screens down for Barford bridge as that could get abit tight. Have you stil got yours on the Ouse. 

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

My uncle removed the hard top on the freeman and had a full canopy fitted so he could pop the screens down for Barford bridge as that could get abit tight. Have you stil got yours on the Ouse. 

I bought mine round to the broads via wells in 2012, since sold it and now got a princess 30DS so have no chance on the RGO now at 8'8" folded, used to get under barford ok but would use the wrong arch one way as it was easier, I think it's the downstream arch we used to avoid, luckily it was easy to see if anything is coming.

Yes we always use to go through the wrong arch the No entry 🤣🤣 one..

We use to have some great nights out around the island camp fire BBQ just before you got to Barford bridge from Bedford end... On the right it was. I got feeling there use to be an old mill or house in there with an old lock..

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I bought mine round to the broads via wells in 2012, since sold it and now got a princess 30DS so have no chance on the RGO now at 8'8" folded, used to get under barford ok but would use the wrong arch one way as it was easier, I think it's the downstream arch we used to avoid, luckily it was easy to see if anything is coming.

So where abouts did you keep yours on the Ouse ?? My uncle use to moor at the BBC Bedford boat club down the other side of Cardington Lock.. 

I do miss the Ouse would love to set off from Bedford and go to Ely like what we use to do, for many years.. I expect it has changed a lot now since 95.

13 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

There is indeed a house on the island, I thing it was the lockies cottage originally, also whats left of a lock.

I kept mine in st.neots marina as it's only a 10 minute walk from home.

Had some great stops at St Neots we always use to stay opposite the town moorings on the park side then later years my uncle was member OVRC so we use to stay in there. Do you miss boating on the Ouse ? Just dug out some of my old maps 🤣

Great ouse was also a lot more hassle getting to sea, through gt.yarmouth is a doddle and it's only a few hours from my mooring,  aim for burgh castle for the night before and it's simply just a matter of getting under haven (I don't bank on it lifting) and I get a 6 hour window at my airdraft. 

• 8 months later...
On 24/05/2023 at 17:23, mikeyboy1966 said:

Last weekend was the 1st chance we had to cruise,

river levels had been high after the heavy rains and strong stream advisory in place with st ives lock closed.so we had a bimble upstream to Hemmingsford meadows.

E67945B6-91E8-4494-A74A-8BCF129D6E90.jpeg

EE1A8BA6-E2A1-4B01-AB8D-2E8067AB1119.jpeg

A65D3BB1-928F-49A1-9420-2CB2AAF09FB8.jpeg

3B30D6F2-1619-4CF0-A5FC-39BD82F52877.jpeg

Thought I saw you in St Ives today - it was the same model of boat, but a different name when I looked closer

Wait till later in the year.....

Had to clear the props plenty of times along there, worst was a spring steel popup tent frame, luckily on outdrives as had to remove the prop to get if off, blagged a mooring in twenty pence while I did it from the dinghy.

Once picked up a 100ft length of 1" 3 strand rope on the 100' luckily the eye spliced on the end hooked over 1 blade and just trailed without wrapping so could carry on with other engine while I unhooked it and pulled it in, dumped at denver sluice skip and it had been taken in the time it took for a couple of pints, recycling at it's best.

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Wait till later in the year.....

Had to clear the props plenty of times along there, worst was a spring steel popup tent frame, luckily on outdrives as had to remove the prop to get if off, blagged a mooring in twenty pence while I did it from the dinghy.

Once picked up a 100ft length of 1" 3 strand rope on the 100' luckily the eye spliced on the end hooked over 1 blade and just trailed without wrapping so could carry on with other engine while I unhooked it and pulled it in, dumped at denver sluice skip and it had been taken in the time it took for a couple of pints, recycling at it's best.

It was Summer 1989  and we were just starting a week away on the boat  and heading for Ely from Hartford marina. We had just passed under the ramshackle bridge on the Old West when the engine cut out. Investigation revealed that the outdrive leg had kicked up because we had picked up the internal framework of a lorry seat. Fortunately Tony was able to reach it by leaning over the stern from the cockpit and managed to get it off. Luckily, no damage had been incurred and we continued our holiday with no further incident. For the 21 years we moored on RGO  I always disliked the Old West immensely particularly in the latter years, (the noughties) when the water level was always suspect and liable to be too low. It very badly needed dredging. For a good part of each day boats moored at West View marina were sitting on the bottom.

Carole

53 minutes ago, addicted said:

It was Summer 1989  and we were just starting a week away on the boat  and heading for Ely from Hartford marina. We had just passed under the ramshackle bridge on the Old West when the engine cut out. Investigation revealed that the outdrive leg had kicked up because we had picked up the internal framework of a lorry seat. Fortunately Tony was able to reach it by leaning over the stern from the cockpit and managed to get it off. Luckily, no damage had been incurred and we continued our holiday with no further incident. For the 21 years we moored on RGO  I always disliked the Old West immensely particularly in the latter years, (the noughties) when the water level was always suspect and liable to be too low. It very badly needed dredging. For a good part of each day boats moored at West View marina were sitting on the bottom.

Carole

I can’t say I’ve experienced any issues over the last year with low water levels,

despite there being very low rain fall through the last summer,

over winter and spring the opposite has been the case with high river levels and moderate flooding.

I guess the levels are better managed now at Denver complex ?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...