Boat Damage Posts Split From Hijinks On On Hi-jinks

Mouldy

On 20/07/2022 at 20:22, CambridgeCabby said:

I too witnessed the incident at Oulton and I concur that the hirer was mortified to have caused such damage .

The reason it occurred was that he was unaware that the stern of his 40ft+ fly bridge cruiser would swing to the degree it did when making a full turn , whether this is a lack of tuition is certainly debatable but if the hire yards spent the time that would be necessary to cover every eventuality then the hire viability would be lost and the Broads as we know them would be no more .

No one was hurt , accidents do happen and the hire yard will certainly make good any damages , and it wasn’t a case of stag parties or such like just a lovely family where a mistake happened 

I wish I had your confidence that the hire yard will make good any damage. It would have been good if all you witnesses had come forward and given us details at the time. A degree of support for us (as well as the hirer in question) would not have gone a miss either. 

• Like 1

On 21/07/2022 at 09:54, grendel said:

due to the wooden boat communities nature, a temporary fix has been accomplished which has got the boat owner back on the water for the rest of this season, I do like the way that under difficult circumstances the boating community can come together and resolve problems like this, and you can be certain that other work was put to one side to get the owner back on the water. over winter a full repair will need to be done, while the boat is out for regular maintenance.

A worthy comment. However, it does not negate the stress and anger felt at the disregard for us from other people. The sympathy was with the hirer and the hope that their holiday was not ruined. What about us? There are at least two sides to every story. Thankfully, some people were absolutely wonderful, others fell considerably short. Perhaps some people will be delighted that we have now been forced to reconsider our boating future?

10 hours ago, socrates said:

I wish I had your confidence that the hire yard will make good any damage. It would have been good if all you witnesses had come forward and given us details at the time. A degree of support for us (as well as the hirer in question) would not have gone a miss either. 

I most certainly support you in this but I am 1000 miles away.  I did mention insurance for a temporary repair and this of course, will be the hire boat's insurance, not yours.  Get your own insurance to enter a claim from you to the boatyard and all it will need will be a signed statement of the accident, from the hirer, to say that they were to blame. As you were moored at the time there can't be much doubt of that!

If not, let us know here and I am sure all those members who saw it will gladly come forward with a witness statement.  The most important thing is to get a claim in at once.

I am very sorry you feel as you do, but I might suggest that owing to the forum's policy of never naming boats involved in accidents, to protect their own privacy, this probably made people appear reticent about supporting you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have yesterday spoken with an independent eye witness who with another eye witness are both willing to provide BG with statements if required. Msg sent 

The idea that anyone would be glad you are considering your boating future is just crackers. There’s no one in here that thinks like that, or there had better not be

Griff

• Like 2

Touch Wood, I have only been damaged by a hire boat once and it's quite an amazing story. It restored my faith in human nature and corroborates Vaughan's views.

We were moored at Reedham when it happened but not on board (having a beer in The Ship). When we returned the Harbour Master asked if we had suffered any damage, I didn't think so but upon inspection I found a section of rubbing starke had been ripped off (the lower aluminium one  where the fenders rub against).

The harbour master said he didn't see it happen, but apparently the hire boat left the adjacent mooring with the tide behind them, hitting us, pulling off the rubbing strake and getting it tangled in their fenders. He had found this out following a phone call from the HM at Yarmouth Yacht Station. Apparently, rather than returning to the mooring and risking more damage, they crossed Breydon and temporarily called in at Yarmouth to report the incident.

I contacted the hirers boatyard at Stalham and gave all the details and they apologised and said not to worry, they would deal with it. At the end of their holiday the hirer's handed in the rubbing strake albeit it was too bent and twisted to be of any use.

At the end of our cruise we returned to the marina where we moor at Horning, that happens to be owned by the brother of the Stalham yard owner (yes, you can guess who). When next I returned to the boat, it was all repaired to a standard that gave no clue that anything had happened. What lovely people these hirer's were, I've no idea who, but thank them if they ever read this, as well as the two boat yards concerned. :default_smile:

• Like 9

13 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

Matches my experience with the above Yard.

There are some good people out there :default_trophy:

A few years ago Ranworth Breeze was hit by a boat from the same yard causing damage to the rubber around the bathing platform, because we could not allow time for the boat to be out of service the said yard would do the work but we made the mistake to have it done locally whilst the winter service work was being done. The local work done was so bad that I advised the yard to not settle the bill, we would not make the same mistake again.

• Sad 1

What a shame that poor Addicted's lovely updates of their travels has become innundated with everybody's damage reports. Ok, so here is mine :default_biggrin:

I was struck quite badly by a boat from that same yard whilst I was moored up one summers afternoon. I contacted the boatyard with all relevant details and they quickly and efficiently repaired all the damage to a high standard with no fuss at all :default_smile: