Lionesse Football

Andrewcook

49 minutes ago, twowrights said:

The regular England team that for the past 15 years have donated their match fees to charity, benefitting charities to the tune of several million pounds? :default_smile: 

should it not be an honour to play for your country rather than a payed chore,  :default_eusa_naughty:

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Don't think for one minute a payed chore. Yes they are very well paid,but sports men and women will always want to play and succeed for there country. 

As much as the overpaid great big kids that are professional footballers deserve a lot of the stick they receive, I think it is important that, like in your post, we also acknowledge the good things that they do too.

A very few of the players at the very top level are actually a very very positive role model, it just gets lost because of the massive amount of absolute tools there are alongside them :default_biggrin:

8 hours ago, twowrights said:

Yes if you're a amateur, there's clue in their job title, professional footballer. :default_smile:

their day job is professional, playing for your country should be an honour

I think I just committed a cardinal sin…I served up dinner just after England scored their second goal, but before the end of the match. Graham and Harry currently watching the end on catch up.

Its a good thing they aren’t normally mad about football…otherwise…ouch! 

• Haha 1

I normally only watch football when England men or Leicester are involved, and it's free to air TV, but I won't be doing anything different for women's football in the future.

After what we were saying about how the women's game was better, they immediately became guilty of the same faults as the men. Within the first few minutes they were arguing with the ref then surprise surprise, a yellow for dissent. Waiting on the ground for the ref's whistle after a fair collision. It was all there. They were on thin ice and another yellow and a red would have been a different story. They said the Germans were trying to provoke, to break down dicipline, well the ref is only human too and that could have helped her have a bad game. Refs are expected to be above all that, but not the players who get the big money. I remember Beckham letting us all down with his famous trip.

Anyway, that said, great result for England, great result for women's sport, and women. Shame they aren't the role models they could have been.

Floyd 

I think you needed to watch more of the Germany games.

It is obviously a part of their game plan and has led to them being one of the top team.

They were just as cynical in the semi against France and where did that get them. Oh yeah the final.

I watched all the England games and didn't see any of this sort of behaviour.

Well done the girls for winning against such tactics and let's face it a hopeless referee.

Let's also give some credit to the manager for trusting Georgia Stanway to stay on when she was on thin ice after the early yellow.

I felt she would have been subbed at half time.

Well done girls :default_trophy:

• Like 1

On 28/07/2022 at 21:48, BroadsExplorer said:

As much as the overpaid great big kids that are professional footballers deserve a lot of the stick they receive, I think it is important that, like in your post, we also acknowledge the good things that they do too.

I always have a slight chuckle to myself when people start to go on about overpaid footballers, I wonder if the same person would make similar comments about Andy Murray, Tiger Woods, and Tyson Fury, all of who have earned far more from their sport than the vast majority of footballers

• Like 2

I don't need to watch any german football thank you.

I just wonder what would anyone prefer: Your daughter/grandaughter - the most experienced player in the team - to be seen telling another player to f-off on live television causing the commentator to apologise, or would you prefer the Raheem Sterling approach, to turn away and put themselves above provocation.

The Germans DID get at the English girls, it just didn't quite work this time. 

Let's celebrate, but keep our feet on the ground too.

Wonder if Sarina Wiegman fancies managing the England Man’s team?  Two things were immediately apparent watching the ladies (not that I know a fat lot about football):

The general direction the England ladies were heading was towards their opponent’s goal and not continually passing back to their goalkeeper.

Not play acting, falling over and rolling about on the ground after a challenge.  Get up and get on with it - as Chloe Kelly, the scorer of the ladies second goal, proved.

Whilst a lot of folk are fans of Southgate, his pedigree as a manager prior to taking over the England team was questionable.  He’s clearly a politically correct yes man.  He’s tried all sorts of combinations of players and still doesn’t seem to have found the right one!

28 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Whilst a lot of folk are fans of Southgate, his pedigree as a manager prior to taking over the England team was questionable.  He’s clearly a politically correct yes man.  He’s tried all sorts of combinations of players and still doesn’t seem to have found the right one!

True, however remember where the mens team was back then and nobody wanted to be the Englands manager as it was a poisoned chalice thanks to the papers and TV pundits.

All this talk of the womens game now turning the corner, that happened around 2009 with the professional contracts being awarded so ending doing a days work then travelling to training afterwards or asking for days off work

Unfortunately I was around for the World Cup win against Germany and enjoyed this match,made better for us Laura Hemp was a local girl and was coached and played at our Town football club Well done on all of you on your win :default_beerchug: