Lionesse Football

Andrewcook

11 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Wonder if Sarina Wiegman fancies managing the England Man’s team?  Two things were immediately apparent watching the ladies (not that I know a fat lot about football):

The general direction the England ladies were heading was towards their opponent’s goal and not continually passing back to their goalkeeper.

Not play acting, falling over and rolling about on the ground after a challenge.  Get up and get on with it - as Chloe Kelly, the scorer of the ladies second goal, proved.

Whilst a lot of folk are fans of Southgate, his pedigree as a manager prior to taking over the England team was questionable.  He’s clearly a politically correct yes man.  He’s tried all sorts of combinations of players and still doesn’t seem to have found the right one!

But is still one of our most successful managers. We are constantly finishing in the top four of major tournaments. We have just been through a transitional period. Its fair to say the men's team results haven't been great of late. But hey no one wins any silverware playing friendly. Be patient we have a good group of players. 

9 hours ago, FlyingFortress said:

I agree with you Andy.

We have a group of talented players who have almost got there in the last 2 tournaments 

Criticism of the manager is silly.

He has delivered more than any England manager has since Alf Ramsey.

Just needs to go that one step further  

Don’t think that criticism is silly at all.  Yes, we have done well in the last two tournaments, but recent results haven’t been encouraging.  Aside from wins over Andorra and San Marino, who aren’t known to be testing opponents, they’ve been very poor and being beaten twice by Hungary is frankly embarrassing.  They won’t get away with playing like that against teams in the World Cup, although the draw has been kind to them.

We’ll see what happens, but I’m not holding my breath.