The State Of Footpaths

kpnut

On 25/07/2022 at 10:50, YnysMon said:

I was surprised at the state of the path and am not sure what’s happened this year in comparison to previous years, when the path along the dyke bank was well maintained and cut back. This year it was really overgrown.

I meant to comment on this the other day when you posted. 
I too would like to know what’s happened with the riverbank footpaths this year. Many are virtually impassable, even though marked on the OS map as public footpaths. 
on my ‘springers retreat holiday blog’ I’ve also highlighted if a few times. 
It’s taken away a measurable part of my enjoyment of the Broads this year. 
Id love someone to be able to tell me who is responsible for the paths (the ones that tend to run along the tops of the banks eg round Upton marshes, Ludham marshes, up from Ludham Bridge to How Hill, from Thurne dyke to Potter Heigham start of the chalets etc, from Acle Bridge to Upton Dyke etc), so I can write a letter of enquiry as to why they are in the overgrown state they are. 
Sorry to hijack your thread Helen. 
Hope the family is all on the mend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, kpnut said:

I too would like to know what’s happened with the riverbank footpaths this year.

As an avid explorer myself, walking, running, cycling, and of course boating :default_wink: I have found that footpaths have become a little untended to all around the country.

I am not educated enough to know who or why it is so but I do hope it is sorted very soon as like yourself it is spoiling my enjoyment of venturing off of the beaten track

All councils have embraced cost cutting, sorry re-wilding, our local council have it to perfection, do less charge more. Pay themselves more for embracing nature, and making life better for all.

The latest thing is to charge for everthing taken to the refuge site (dump) unless they can resell it.

Me a cynic, I don't believe it.

paul

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Doing a bit of a search, it seems right that it’s Norfolk County Council which is in charge. Their website states that there is a statutory responsibility by themselves and landowners to keep public footpaths open and it is important for tourism etc There is an interactive map marking all the footpaths, with their numbers, that they are responsible for. There is the facility to report problems. So I will make it my mission for the rest of this year to do just that. And to write a letter on behalf of users of the paths, to suggest they carry out their responsibilities. As an ecologist, I am well aware that there is a balance to be had between peoples needs and wildlife needs, but some paths on the Broads are very strategic for purposes of tourism. 

Moderators - if this topic continues to be commented on in Moonlight Shadows thread, is it possible to put it in one of its own? I maybe shouldn’t haven’t hijacked the thread. Sorry. 

• Like 2

I have split it to a thread of its own for you, 

in my experience if footpaths are not used they can disappear, when walking the local woods i have been known to carry gloves and a pair of secateurs to clear the paths (particularly where there are brambles and other prickly vegetation), there are still some marked paths that are impossible to traverse.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, grendel said:

when walking the local woods i have been known to carry gloves and a pair of secateurs to clear the paths (particularly where there are brambles and other prickly vegetation), there are still some marked paths that are impossible to traverse.

Interesting idea, I think I will take this thought on and cut back the vegetation in future.

I assume that if a footpath is denoted as a public footpath there can be no silly comeback from cutting some hedges aside for the good of maintaining public access routes?

I might take my Gtec battery strimmer for a walk too :default_norty:

I must say i was a bit frustrated with the state of the paths at Fleet Dyke and in particular at Womack Dyke going towards Potter  (a favourite walk). It was too hot to wear jeans to protect my legs from spikey and bitey things and Desmond is at grass height level and got fed up pushing his way through. I certainly don’t remember it being like this in other years.  

• Sad 1

I was wondering about taking the strimmer for a walk too!!

And I also wondered if ‘no mow May’ had something to do with it. Trouble is, let it get long then and it soon gets out of hand. Doesn’t necessarily do the area any good either, as the dominant ‘weeds’ just take hold more strongly and the weaker species get shaded/outcompeted, so biodiversity actually decreases  over time. 
Fleet Dyke was a real disappointment last month. One of the best walks on the Broads. And I also love the one round from Womack towards Potter, Lulu. Well, in fact I love most of the walks (or did). 

Although designated footpaths are usually the responsibility of the County Council, some paths we use are down to local authorities. A few years back, I found the path at the end of the boardwalk from Brundall Church Fen BA moorings to the village to be almost impassable. I raised a query to Brundall Parish council, who very quickly had it cleared. Who is responsible for what isn't easily established, leading to nobody being responsible for anything!

• Thanks 1

Gosh! I have been inattentive today haven’t I. My thread got hijacked and then not without my knowing anything about it! Actually, I’m flattered, and wouldn’t have minded…if I’d noticed.

Kate, You sound like you are on a mission. Let us know how we can contribute. I agree with the comments that suggest that if the paths aren’t cared for they could become impassible and then abandoned. It’s a real threat to access. 

• Like 1

Anyone is welcome to give me details of paths they’ve found so overgrown that it has been really difficult to walk along eg grass/reeds that has to be parted to get through, nettles/brambles across the path etc. Starting point and direction of travel. 

eg River Bure, opposite St Benets, from Fleet Dyke travelling downstream.

Or River Thurne from Womack dyke entrance towards Potter Heigham etc.

No grid reference required if description is obvious. 

I can then look up the footpath number to report. 

Yes, your thread is now intact again, I just ‘borrowed’ it!!!!!

• Thanks 1

The problem with No Mow May is that it gives councils the excuse not to cut the grass! Then when they do it leaves a terrible matted mess

A better solution is LOW MOW which means yes it does get mown but not so often but its important to take away the cuttings - this then gradually reduces the fertility, stops the grass growing rampantly (in a normal summer) and allows the nectar sources to prosper

I always feel that on a public  footpath - cut a width that allows two people to pass without having to step into the stinging nettles or brambles

The problem is that leaving the grass uncut - often gives the public perception of an eye sore - if there are notices explaining why it is uncut then the general public start to understand that it for nature!

A lot of verges and parks are being cut this year in our area because of the fire risk

Liz

9 hours ago, kpnut said:

I was wondering about taking the strimmer for a walk too!!

I have done similar a couple of times and taken my chainsaw to the boat and sorted a couple of fallen trees across the permissive path from surlingham ferryhouse to the rspb bit, probably classed as criminal damage as it's private land but it made it useable again and it's such a good dog walk when moored at the pub.

On the playing field behind my house they cut half and leave the rest to grow with a few wandering paths cut through it (it was used for football years ago), I spoke to a mate who used to work for the town council and he told me it was due to a lot of local folk wanting to see more habitat left to grow so I have no problem with that, it's still well used with short cut areas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grendel said:

in my experience if footpaths are not used they can disappear, when walking the local woods i have been known to carry gloves and a pair of secateurs to clear the paths (particularly where there are brambles and other prickly vegetation), there are still some marked paths that are impossible to traverse.

I hear there are Bison now in your local woods, think I`d carry a cattle prod when out walking if I was you.

1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

I hear there are Bison now in your local woods, think I`d carry a cattle prod when out walking if I was you.

If you were expecting "Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain" To quote Basil. Sorry but two of them are in an enclosure in either Blean or Thorndene woods, at Wildwood country park between Canterbury and Whitstable in Kent.

• Like 1

I love this phrase 're-wilding' I have seen it used to justify a number of what are, obviously, cost cutting measures, but more worryingly, like many other maintenance tasks, have often been placed out to subcontractors - at a higher cost... well that is if you do everything the local authorities were doing before - solution - do less - save money.

I am not sure this is lost on the Broads also - I am just waiting for a financial justification for things such as 'coloured pig/cow/insert random painted fibreglass animal here' trails which I am sure will be coming to our riverbanks soon!

As far as the Broads Authority are concerned, I can already vouch that I have seen the Pink Elephant! I win!

59 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Since they changed many Byways to Restricted Byways near where I live if they are not used by farm machinery most are now overgrown, the odd vehicle passing along used to keep them clear.

Good old Richand Benyon MP... stop those wretched people using them... Bring on the 'Trespass Act July 2022' criminalise everyone with a camper van or a tent!

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I have done similar a couple of times and taken my chainsaw to the boat and sorted a couple of fallen trees across the permissive path from surlingham ferryhouse to the rspb bit, probably classed as criminal damage as it's private land but it made it useable again and it's such a good dog walk when moored at the pub.

On the playing field behind my house they cut half and leave the rest to grow with a few wandering paths cut through it (it was used for football years ago), I spoke to a mate who used to work for the town council and he told me it was due to a lot of local folk wanting to see more habitat left to grow so I have no problem with that, it's still well used with short cut areas.

And such a very important area - although the charitable trust do an excellent job with the study area, it seems Ted Ellis would be turning in his grave if he thought that access to it was being restricted!

1 hour ago, FairTmiddlin said:

If you were expecting "Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain" To quote Basil. Sorry but two of them are in an enclosure in either Blean or Thorndene woods, at Wildwood country park between Canterbury and Whitstable in Kent.

It all sounds better in the newspaper :default_biggrin:

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/history-made-as-bison-released-into-kent-woodland-270348/