Fatal Accident In Stalham

Hylander

Judging by the age of the driver I would imagine he has been doing this for years.         I used to work for a lady boss who daily went out boozing and drove back to work p####d as a fart.  It wasn't until after I had left that I heard she had been at long last caught by the police , her licence taken away and to boot was sacked because being a very good actress she could portray that she was the bees knees at her job and any faults were never hers because she blamed everyone else but new bosses soon got the measure of her.    There is a God after all...      

• Like 3

I suspect a fair few couldn't pay... But we could lock them up if they default. We could call it Debtor's Prison and put their families in special hostels, we could call them Workhouses 😁

Joking aside, there's nothing that hasn't been tried and nothing (as far as I know) has made a difference. Thread drift anyone? 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This remains an unutterably sad and avoidable event which should never have happened.  And I still have no words that could accurately represent the sadness that must be felt by the family other than that it will be felt forever.

Judging by the media thread the drunk driver was probably not heading home but in the complete opposite direction. Can’t blame the road itself but it has made me even more wary about riding that stretch on my bike in future, being hit at 50 mph as opposed to say 30 mph, on the back lanes, could have the same outcome but I hear the vehicles approaching singularly on country lanes behind me whereas not so on a main road with the foreground noise of vehicles approaching like an aircraft taking off drowning out anything to the rear.

I hope the other pedestrian has recovered as far as possible, living with that experience will be challenging I expect.

The deceased will never be forgotten as indeed I have never forgotten friends deceased albeit sadly sometimes in circumstances similar to this.

Breathalysers in pubs a great idea as are the diy kits you can buy, the latter could have made a difference, I suspect this guy didn’t come from a pub as any staff or customers would surely have prevented such a tragedy, from the police footage I doubt it would have taken much to intervene and snatch his keys or otherwise prevent him driving off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This has made it onto the forum as it took place in an area often mentioned in Broads matters. Sadly, it seems this is more common than we may be aware; last month a car driven by a drunk, mounted a kerb and hit two 14 year old girls in Leicester, killing one and injuring the other.

Trying to find reference to the above I googled "drunk driver car crash - Leicester". Sadly, there have been a few similar incidents in this area. 

• Sad 4

I have no problems with this being “brought to the forum”, with the obvious proviso that it doesn’t develop into a witch hunt .

The public need to be aware that drink driving , even a couple of pints , is not acceptable in any way .

This tragedy highlights how irresponsible , criminal and reckless it can be not only taking an innocent life but affecting the lives of many others , family’s and friends.

I also hope it makes people aware that the helming of a boat whilst intoxicated is also irresponsible and can also lead to tragic circumstances.

Like many , I enjoy a drink , however the drinks cupboard remains shut until we are moored for the evening.

In conclusion, may I offer my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Fenella .

• Like 3