Somewhere For A Family Meal Near Stalham

ExSurveyor

Interesting suggestions. But if it’s a family meal with younger family members for a birthday then why not go to Bridgestone’s at PH if it’s during the day. I’m sure they would reserve you an area maybe in the back with enough room. You’d definitely have a great choice of birthday cake 🎂 🥳

• Like 2

I like the way that you could (potentially) moor up at the Norfolk Mead and enjoy a meal there rather than continue up to Coltishall Locks.However… a. we would probably need to be more affluent, b. I wouldn’t have anything suitable to wear with me on a Broads holiday anyway and c. seems against the grain of the relaxed Broads vibe.

• 2 weeks later...

Went last night and had a table in the old stable block fronting onto the courtyard.

The food was good and a reasonable price.

The service was stretched at times but the staff kept smiling, staff shortages are an issue everywhere and something we have to accept at the moment, even people like me who are not renowned for patience. 😁

I would happily visit again..

Sad to see the Mermaids Slipper shut as it looked an interesting venue with a good catchment area.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

• Like 3

On 05/08/2022 at 22:26, YnysMon said:

I like the way that you could (potentially) moor up at the Norfolk Mead and enjoy a meal there rather than continue up to Coltishall Locks.However… a. we would probably need to be more affluent, b. I wouldn’t have anything suitable to wear with me on a Broads holiday anyway and c. seems against the grain of the relaxed Broads vibe.

Having done exactly that a few times I can tell you that it is at the upper end in terms of cost however the food is excellent. Dress code is casual and you don't feel out of place in jeans and a shirt, or polo shirt. As for out of place for a Broads holiday, I would say no different to dining at The Ingham Swan, Wroxham Hotel, The Recruiting Sargent, or The Mermaids Slipper when it was open. We like to try one such place during a weeks holiday.

However my biggest tip is if you have Gourmet Society membership you get 25% of the total bill, yes drinks as well. People often get Gourmet Society membership as a perk of their current account or other such offers. However even if you don't you would probably cover the cost of annual membership with 2 visits in a year. The 25% offer doesn't cover Fri, Sat or Sun, so choose your day carefully. For those who just want to try it the once, The Gourmet Society do offer a free 60 day trial membership which converts to a monthly membership if you forget to cancel the trial. So for that one off special occasion you could take out a free trial membership, receive your 25% off at The Norfolk Mead and then cancel your membership, however the chances are once you've been the once you'll want to go back again. 

A similar offer is also available at The Rushcutters Arms Thorpe Mon thru Fri 25% off the total bill. You do normally need to book ahead and inform them at the time of booking that you are a member of the Gourmet Society. 

At The Mead we normally moor up mid afternoon, walk up and have a drink at the bar and book a table for the evening and let them know then and also that we are on their mooring. As an aside, we have always got the discount, but never had to show the card, but always have it with us just in case.

• Like 2

I've only had Sunday lunch at the Norfolk Mead but saw nothing to justify the cost difference - around double that of the Recruiting Sergeant. The food also arrived piled in the centre of the plate, one of my absolute pet hates. We were wearing chinos and casual short-sleeved shirts and felt quite comfortable but I don't think I would have been happy in jeans or polos but that is just us maybe, but certainly not a dress-up place as such. Not been in the evening so cannot comment on dinner.

• Like 1