Somewhere For A Family Meal Near Stalham

ExSurveyor

I've also moored at the Mead before - It was one time when the moorings on the green were absolutely rammed (I think we may have hired in August, which I never normally do) and we knew they were likely to have space.

I rang them to check if they had a table and space on the staithe and they did (we were the only boat moored there) and it was quite nice just being at the end of the garden. It's a very quiet mooring.

Probably not somewhere I'd visit every time as it is a bit pricier, but I don't remember it being horrendous.

More recently we've tended to head for the lock and walk to the chippie or the King's Head (bit of a walk but not so bad in the summer months).

Dear Oldgreg from Old Wussername.

I remember the mill well before that dreadfull fire when we lost one of our most iconic mills. Several years later I used to moor at the lock. One had to go past a sign saying "No Hire Boats". I ignored all that and carried on, to one of my favourite places. I never ventured into the water meadows. Full of cows, heifers, and stuff with four legs. To be avoided. Every time I was on my own.  Mornings were special, Church bells rang across the marshland on a Sunday morning.

It was if I had been transported into a different time. A time which had not changed for many years.  It has now for several reasons. I am of an age , I doubt if I will ever visit again.

But tell me Mr Oldgregg. As you walk from the lock on your left you will pass through an avenue of trees. Hornbeam? Smooth bark. Grown for a purpose. Several of them.

What are they? 

Joyce Kilmer " a poem of tree" comes to mind. Paul Robeson sang a song about a tree. 

Some of you are starting to nod off............

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Wussername said:

But tell me Mr Oldgregg. As you walk from the lock on your left you will pass through an avenue of trees. Hornbeam? Smooth bark. Grown for a purpose. Several of them.

I'm curious now. Which set of trees are we talking about?

Would they be the ones to the right of the lock gates as seen in the third picture, or those off to starboard of the pictured Bounty bathtub as one heads back towards the car park?

A7302979-HDR.jpg

A7302984-HDR.jpg

A7302995-HDR.jpg

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

Those are the ones you go through if walking across the lock gates and towards the village?

I seem to remember my friend who is a landscaper also commenting on them last year as we all headed for the alehouse.

May I call you Gregg?  

They are the very trees. They are magnificent. But what are they. I wonder who planted them.

• Like 1