An Apprehensive Recent 'woodie' Owner

jezhickling

Hi there all, Maria and I have just become the new custodians for 'Nipper', sadly during the last year she has been a little neglected having spent last winter in the water facing the elements of the winter. 

Although limited knowledge of how to look after wooden boats we want to give Nipper a loving new home and ensure she is repaired and returned to the high standard she was in just 12 months ago.

I am fortunate  that I have been passed the details of the previous owners at look forward to meeting them.(owners pre 2021)

We were hoping to be on the River this weekend but unfortunately managed to catch Covid so scuppered that plan.

At least we managed to spend a bit of time giving her a good clean during this past week.

I have found this forum to be very helpful and full of useful tips.

Many thanks for accepting our membership and hoping to share our new journey with you.

Regards

Jeremy and Maria

• Like 12

Clean her and use her as much as you can this season, then consider what you would like to do/have done to her over the winter. 

When it comes to wooden boats, it can depend on how “hands on” you wish or can be. There is a lot to be said about over winter undercover storage at somewhere like Martham Boats in their DIY shed if you’re considering doing some or all the work yourself, if not and you require assistance, the folks there know a thing or two about wooden boats, could also be a mix of their services and your own work depending on what’s required, they are darn helpful along with offering guidance too, something to consider? 

Looking back, with last year being the exception, we have spent the last 36 years helping to fettle and trim a boat or boats in the shed at Martham. 

Thats where I would start, there will of course be others with more or different alternatives for you to ponder upon. The most important thing we were ever told, was ventilation and plenty of it, open draws, cupboards, lift floors and make sure windows are opened no matter what you end up doing. 

I know Nipper will at least know the inside of the Martham DIY shed quite well 😉

Best regards 

Paul 

• Like 4

Welcome to the world of wooden boat custodianship, the joys, perils, and pitfalls await you in equal measure. There are a good few wooden boat custodians around, the previous owners of Nipper (pre-2021) have a wealth of knowledge, hope you make contact with them and enjoy the boat as much as they did. Look forward to seeing you on the rivers.

• Like 4

thank you all for your welcoming comments, we are planning to use her as much as we can over the next few weeks, I have already contacted Martham Boat yard regarding booking her in for the winter month in the 'DIY shed'.

I currently operate a plumbing and heating business so quite practical and hope that in time will learn correct methods and techniques of how to look after these craft.

During this week we cleaned her throughout even lifted carpet and a few of the loose boards to wipe the bilge down. There was about an inch of water in the bilge so I vacuumed it all out, a few days later I looked under the floor again and there was some water back in the bilge, is this normal for a wooden boat or will one of the first jobs in the winter re-calking/ checking the planks and re-antifouling.

I not afraid hard work just of making sure I do it correctly.

Regards

Jez

• Like 4

a little water in the bilge of a wooden boat is quite normal, make sure you have the bilge pump set to auto and also make sure the battery doesnt go flat. most wooden boats will see the auto bilge pump activate at least a couple of times a day, the level they operate at will be dependent upon the level the float is set to.

when you do take them out of the water, after they go back in the wood has to swell again so the pump will operate a lot more frequently

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jezhickling said:

thank you all for your welcoming comments, we are planning to use her as much as we can over the next few weeks, I have already contacted Martham Boat yard regarding booking her in for the winter month in the 'DIY shed'.

I currently operate a plumbing and heating business so quite practical and hope that in time will learn correct methods and techniques of how to look after these craft.

During this week we cleaned her throughout even lifted carpet and a few of the loose boards to wipe the bilge down. There was about an inch of water in the bilge so I vacuumed it all out, a few days later I looked under the floor again and there was some water back in the bilge, is this normal for a wooden boat or will one of the first jobs in the winter re-calking/ checking the planks and re-antifouling.

I not afraid hard work just of making sure I do it correctly.

Regards

Jez

Hi and welcome to the forum and well done on your approach to owning a woodie I’d love one but know I don’t have the skills. 

I would say regarding the water in the bilge is normal even fibreglass boats have water in the bilges. But I may be wrong as I don’t know nipper that well I have admired her many a time though. 

Happy boating 

• Like 1

I would check the stern gland first and see if it is dripping.  Also look at the water and see if is a bit cloudy, like river water. If it is clear water, suspect a leak in your fresh water system.

As you say that the boat has been in the water all this last winter, and knowing what immaculate condition her last but one owners kept her in, I would not expect a problem with leaks in the hull at the moment!

• Like 4

I was asked to check her over for another prospective buyer and I noticed how neglected she was so I would not be surprised if the stern gland had not been greased, she was repacked about 3 years ago so maybe just turn the greaser a turn or two, there was a tub of white grease on board to top it up if needed. I did notice a slight seeping  from a seam on the port aft corner so this will be looked at when she comes out.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, jezhickling said:

I currently operate a plumbing and heating business so quite practical

Well that will be useful for rigging up a system to keep warm whilst you're also rigging up a system to get all the water out of the bilges in the middle of the river :default_biggrin:

All the best to you with your new boat, just remember to enjoy it as well as all of that hard work :default_smile:

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2022 at 18:58, jezhickling said:

Hi there all, Maria and I have just become the new custodians for 'Nipper', sadly during the last year she has been a little neglected having spent last winter in the water facing the elements of the winter. 

Although limited knowledge of how to look after wooden boats we want to give Nipper a loving new home and ensure she is repaired and returned to the high standard she was in just 12 months ago.

I am fortunate  that I have been passed the details of the previous owners at look forward to meeting them.(owners pre 2021)

We were hoping to be on the River this weekend but unfortunately managed to catch Covid so scuppered that plan.

At least we managed to spend a bit of time giving her a good clean during this past week.

I have found this forum to be very helpful and full of useful tips.

Many thanks for accepting our membership and hoping to share our new journey with you.

Regards

Jeremy and Maria

Hi, I've only just stumbled on this site.  My wife and I owned Nipper for 24 years before we sadly had to let her go but was delighted that Doug & Hele bought and improved her.  We always wintered out of the water at Greenway Marine at Lodden.  Jonathan Greenway is brilliant with wooden boats and every spring we were delighted with the work he did for us.  He knows every inch of Nipper and I cannot recommend him highly enough. Jonathan also made Nipper's Nipper. Happy cruising.

• Like 12

• 7 months later...

Update on Nipper,

Having spent many hours at the boat yard in recent weeks with Nipper building up those coats she is coming on nicely . I'm looking forward to having her back in the water early June all being well and have accepted an invitation to attend The Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show in August with her.

IMG_0802.jpeg

• Like 23
  • Love 1

WOW That will put a smile on many faces. She looks beautiful. Well done you. 

We don't have a Woodie as the upkeep would be to much for us but love to see and admire them as we appreciate the effort needed to keep them in good condition.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge  

1 hour ago, MargeandParge said:

WOW That will put a smile on many faces. She looks beautiful. Well done you. 

We don't have a Woodie as the upkeep would be to much for us but love to see and admire them as we appreciate the effort needed to keep them in good condition.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge  

I have never done anything like this before, I have enjoyed the time working on her and just in this short time learn't many things. Was a little apprehensive at the start but have met several interesting people at the boat yard all sharing good advise. Sadly a very interesting and knowledgeable gentleman from the boat yard (Gorden Curtis) is no longer with us.

I throughly recommend Martham Boats for your winter storage.

• Like 4

On 03/05/2023 at 21:05, jezhickling said:

Update on Nipper,

Having spent many hours at the boat yard in recent weeks with Nipper building up those coats she is coming on nicely . I'm looking forward to having her back in the water early June all being well and have accepted an invitation to attend The Beccles Wooden Broads Cruiser Show in August with her.

IMG_0802.jpeg

I can see there is going to be some stiff competition at Beccles this year. 

She looks fantastic Jez. Well done. 

• Like 1