A Week On Pacific Star

tim

3 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Blimey NeilB

Langford would be so pleased you chose one of his finest for your own.:default_biggrin:

Put that docking system on it and surprise a few on Ranworth Staithe in a strong wind while you could be out mopping the decks or supping tea.

Kindest Regards

Marge and Parge

Yours for £850K..  Ludham Bridge, and several others may be an issue!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NeilB said:

The boat I was testing and calibrating the assisted docking system on was one of these, we don’t have any involvement in anything much over 120ft on the leisure side.  Only problem was it wasn’t very windy for a good test but I have access to the boat for another week or so.

image.thumb.jpeg.69015cf2c7ce97b688b6912b12d40f85.jpeg

And very nice too :default_trophy:

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

Not sure how I missed your holiday tale until last night Tim. Very entertaining, thanks very much. Your dog, cocker spaniel I presume, seems to have a character all of her own! She’s gorgeous. 

Thanks Kate, we got her from the RSPCA when about 6 months old, we were told she was a cocker, but I think there might be a little bit of something else in there, but we dont care we love her. She has issues with strangers but once she gets to know new people she loves them. We dont know her history, only that she didn't have the best start to life

Unlike Finley and Purdey, she'd never leap from the boat, she too much of a coward. She loves being in water but only if she can walk in like a beach, even a 4 inch drop has her worried, she loved a paddle at Salhouse!

My family has strong links with the RSPCA, granddad was chairman of the Maidstone branch for years, and my mum used to collect stray dogs on holiday and take them back to their owners or to the police, that's why she would never go abroad because in her words 'I wouldn't know where to take a stray dog to' 

As kids we used to door to door tin rattling for them, I cant tell you on here some of the words I learnt from people who didn't want to give to animals  :default_icon_e_surprised:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tim said:

Thanks Kate, we got her from the RSPCA when about 6 months old, we were told she was a cocker, but I think there might be a little bit of something else in there, but we dont care we love her. She has issues with strangers but once she gets to know new people she loves them. We dont know her history, only that she didn't have the best start to life

Unlike Finley and Purdey, she'd never leap from the boat, she too much of a coward. She loves being in water but only if she can walk in like a beach, even a 4 inch drop has her worried, she loved a paddle at Salhouse!

My family has strong links with the RSPCA, granddad was chairman of the Maidstone branch for years, and my mum used to collect stray dogs on holiday and take them back to their owners or to the police, that's why she would never go abroad because in her words 'I wouldn't know where to take a stray dog to' 

As kids we used to door to door tin rattling for them, I cant tell you on here some of the words I learnt from people who didn't want to give to animals  :default_icon_e_surprised:

And a beautiful looking dog he is too 

1 hour ago, tim said:

She sorry 

• Like 1

Monday 4th July

Woke up about 7am, got up about 7.30 and put the kettle on and made the tea, this appears to be my first job of the day, but to be fair it’s the same at home, I’m not into lying in bed!

Canopy was pulled back, it was a lovely day, I sat outside at one of the tables near the boat in the dyke, Lottie seemed contented so no hurry to get her out for a walk, plus I wasn’t going to take her too far after the incident with her leg the previous day.

The plan today was to get to Wroxham, get through the bridge then have a walk round Wroxham into The Kings Head, couple of drinks and then up to Coltishall, a walk down to Belaugh around the church and back, dinner at The Rising Sun

Well, that was the plan, it was just a certain bridge didn’t see it that way!

Anyway, Mandy was going to start breakfast at 8.30am, so Susie and I decided to take Lottie to the park, Horning isn’t best blessed for walks but opposite the Chinese there is a path that takes you up to a nice park. Lottie was disappointed because when we go for a walk in a park we normally take balls and frisbees. However, as we weren’t sure how good her leg was, it was just a walk!

Back at the boat for 8.30am, Mandy true to her word had started brekkie (just a bacon sarnie for me) and had another cuppa waiting for me

Low water Wroxham was 11.15ish, so I didn’t need to be away until about 10am, so breakfast completed we had another wander into Horning. Susie had broken her sunglasses, she had another pair at home, so she wanted to buy a pair of cheapies or get some super glue so ‘dad’ll fix it’ can get to work! The latter was achieved

Back at the boat, I was disappointed to see that although many boats had left, the two that I could really have done with leaving were still there, oh well, I got in backwards, so it’ll be a doddle going out

I had already moved the dinghy from the bow back to the stern and moved the boat forward a bit so it could be tied there, then a bit of luck, one of the boats left, although I’d rather it was the one on the starboard side as that was the one that was blocking the dyke, so I pulled the fenders that side up on to the freeboard to ensure I didn’t get them twisted together

We left about 10am in glorious weather and made the short cruise to Wroxham, on the way we picked up a passenger, who refused to leave our roof for about 25mins (photo below)

We got stuck behind several boats going very slowly, got past them but then caught up with a private boat that was constantly doing 1mph less than the speed limit, difficult to get past, but that was good enough for me we were going quick enough, and we weren’t in any rush

Mandy rang the Pilot, he said that we were to call him as we approached the bridge, and pull over to the pilot moorings, as we approached we could see another boat already on the mooring waiting for him, so I held station just outside Barnes, it was probably only 10mins before I could get on the mooring, it just seemed longer as the traffic is rather busy there and the day boats were a bit of an issue!

The Pilot took the boat waiting on the mooring through, so I came in and moored in that space, I should have said earlier I did lower the fenders again soon after leaving The New Inn.

The Pilot soon came back to where we were moored, he was a more mature pilot than the ones I seem to remember in the past, as he walked towards us he said ‘she’s a bit high isn’t she’ I told him the air draft, he looked at the boat then the bridge, the marker was showing 7’3’’, ‘the thing is’  he said, ‘I can probably get you through, but if it rains you may not get back’

It was at this point I remembered the old saying (albeit different type of pilot)

There are old pilots

There are bold pilots

There are no old bold pilots   :default_wink:

So, there was the conundrum, do we risk going through and being caught, there was no significant rain forecast, or do we thank him for his honesty and go find somewhere else to go

As much as I love the stretch from Wroxham to Coltishall, I didn’t particularly want to go up and down it for several days, so after a quick crew consultation we opted for thank you for your honesty and left

What now then?

Plans ruined, since covid we have been more organised where we go, where possible we’ve tried to book tables and moorings, as shortly after the first lock down we had big trouble booking restaurants when we were in Cornwall, so do we try and move our bookings back a day and go back south earlier, or find something else to go today?

We needed to discuss the options (or as it turned out I needed to come up with another plan) so into Barnes Brinkscraft, we went past the big willow tree and found a mooring opposite Beasty Bikes (I still harbour the dream of getting another bike) and moored up

As we finished mooring a very striking boat came into the marina and moored opposite us, the helmsman got out and tied his ropes. He looked like he worked for Barnes, so I called out to him ‘is it ok to moor here for an hour or so’ the reply came back ‘I don’t know but I’m hoping to do the same’ it was only then I noticed the name of the boat, Ranworth Breeze!

I don’t know if the person on it that week reads this but if you do, sorry to confuse you with Barnes staff, lovely boat though, but that height would make me nervous!

The girls wanted to go shopping, I certainly didn’t, so Mandy, after 36 years marriage she knows me too well, suggested I go to the pub with Lottie while they go to Roys

We all went to the pub, Mandy bought me two pints settled me down with a nice view of the river and bridge that I was denied access to earlier, told me they would be far less than an hour and left me to look at maps etc and come up with a plan!

As you can see from the picture below Lottie was keeping a look out for their return

Yeah right, far less than an hour, 1hr 10mins to be exact, Susie told me later that she tried to get mum out of the shops she told her, dads happy he’s got beer and is watching boats, yes, I was watching boats, but the beer ran out long before they returned!

Anyway, plan was hatched, run past the crew, and accepted, it was to be lunch on the boat while travelling to Acle, then a walk up past Upton Dyke and dinner at The White Horse, somewhere I had never been before

We left Barnes at about 1pm, reaching Acle about 3.30pm, moored up on what used to be Horizon craft’s moorings, we then took a stroll to The Bridge Inn.  :default_beerchug:

Whilst at the Bridge Inn, Mandy announced that she had forgotten to get something from Roys she needed, it was so important I can’t remember what it was!  :default_wink:

Not a problem, Lottie needed a walk, so along the river up past Acle Dyke, and up the footpath alongside the A1064 and into Acle, picked up the all-important item and returned the same route, lovely day, warm walking in the sun, so only right we should finish the walk how we stated with a trip to The Bridge Inn, then back to the boat

Soon it was time to start the walk to the White Horse, there is a screen shot of my footpath app below, don’t be alarmed, even though it looks like I walked down the middle of the Bure, I didn’t!

As Kate has said in her blogs about the footpaths, part of this footpath was quite overgrown, mainly the last bit that comes out on the dyke. It was a good job it was early evening and dry, had I attempted that on a wet day or early morning I think we’d have got very wet, on the way back we cut that bit out of the walk.

It was the first time we had seen Upton Dyke, and yes as all reports I’ve read have stated it’s rather narrow, glad I didn’t get tempted to go down there on a 40-footer!

I have heard good reports about the White Horse, but as I’ve already said I’ve never made it there in the past, well I’m glad we did, it did not disappoint, really nice meal, good beer, service and don’t remember going ‘ouch’ when I paid the bill  :default_biggrin:

Walked back the less overgrown way, with the canopy open enjoyed a couple of glasses of red before going to bed 10ish

IMG_2223 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2224 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2225 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2226 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2227 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2228 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2229 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2230 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2231 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2232 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2233 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2234 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2235 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2235 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2236 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2237 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2238 - Copy.JPG

acle upton.png

IMG_2240 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2239 - Copy.JPG

• Like 7

11 hours ago, tim said:

we were told she was a cocker, but I think there might be a little bit of something else in there

Your first photo had me wondering as her face isn’t quite a cocker. Maybe lurcher in there somewhere!

I’m enjoying your tale and photos. I think that duck had taken to having rides on boats. I saw someone a few days later heading past Salhouse with a passenger on the roof. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, tim said:

We all went to the pub, Mandy bought me two pints

Now that is lovely. My lady hasn't ever bought me a drink yet :default_biggrin:

9 hours ago, tim said:

Yeah right, far less than an hour, 1hr 10mins to be exact

I feel your pain tim, us men all know that when our lady says an hour we can plan to have a good afternoon session.....

9 hours ago, tim said:

yes, I was watching boats, but the beer ran out long before they returned!

.......this however is a tad worrying tim :default_biggrin:

Enjoying your tale, Tim.  I’ve baulked at taking a boat down Upton Dyke for years, but eventually ventured down in May, when we were onboard Moonlight Shadow.  Most of EW’s boats were in, but with the aid of the girlie button (bow thruster), managed to turn round at the end of the dyke and reverse into a mooring.  We visited The White Horse for the first time that night and had a very enjoyable meal.  It is now on our list of favoured pubs on the northern rivers.

We moored at Upton in July on Norfolk Lady, but with no girlie button, opted to turn her on the ropes.  It’s a lovely mooring, but I fear that a recent YouTube video may encourage too many people to try to go there.  I hope not.

4B2FB4CC-DA7D-4A3F-A7CA-78320AD7A107.jpeg

5BEC220C-019D-491E-849B-3E6FCBAEBEBA.jpeg

• Like 3

Upton Dyke is pretty narrow but I'd say any Broads cruiser is fine navigating down it. I've taken an AF38 and a Crystal 37 down there in recent years and width is certainly no issue.

Where it does get complicated is in turning round outside Eastwood Whelpton (the only place you can turn). I opted not to take the Diamond 43 down there when I had the syndicate share as I knew it would be tough if the fleet were in.

I think if the hirefleet is out, the BA moorings are relatively empty and there isn't a boat moored on the left by the widest point then any Broads cruiser could be turned there, however if everything is full then turning a boat above 40ft isn't going to be the nicest of experiences.

It would be worse if there is no girly button. Neither of the boats I've taken down there recently had one, but they were Aquafibre hulls so obviously handled a lot better than Alphas etc.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BroadsLady said:

What's wrong with a girlie button? Helped me out more times than I care to admit when mooring :default_hiding:  :default_biggrin:

But you're a girlie, so it is perfectly ok for you to admit to using one.

How could any self respecting man admit to such a thing, it would be a crime against machismo :default_biggrin:

10 minutes ago, BroadsLady said:

What's wrong with a girlie button? Helped me out more times than I care to admit when mooring :default_hiding:  :default_biggrin:

Nothing, but I do find it amusing when I see (or hear) folk using bow thrusters to turn when they’re progressing along a river, or when mooring and not using the engine and rudder.  We were moored at Loddon in May and I watched someone in a Broom hireboat enter the basin and moor stern on without using the steering wheel at all, just manoeuvred using his bow thruster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Nothing, but I do find it amusing when I see (or hear) folk using bow thrusters to turn when they’re progressing along a river, or when mooring and not using the engine and rudder.  We were moored at Loddon in May and I watched someone in a Broom hireboat enter the basin and moor stern on without using the steering wheel at all, just manoeuvred using his bow thruster.

Ooops, didn't know I was being watched :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mouldy said:

We visited The White Horse for the first time that night and had a very enjoyable meal.  It is now on our list of favoured pubs on the northern rivers.

Found it at last. This is the card the iandlord gave us the first time we went there - an evening in the 80s I think. I asked if they served food, and without speaking he reached for the card and handed it to me with a glint in his eye. Been in since.... and have had food. I think it's a community run pub now. 

Upton.jpg

Tuesday 5th July

Ok, back on track with the plan, bit of a lay in today, woke about 7.30am, got up about 8am, kettle on tea made, after about 10mins Lottie and I went for a short walk along the bank, mainly just so she could do what dogs that haven’t been out for 9 hours must do, mission accomplished it was back to the boat to make more tea!

The weather was far more overcast, not cold, but a bit of a breeze

As the kettle boiled for the second time that morning, both Mandy and Susie joined me in the lounge, breakfast for me today was to be a couple of eggs on toast, I was conscious that after our week on the boat we had 7 days B&B in a pub in North Devon, therefore I was tying not overdo the eating before we went there, I obviously failed, but I tried!

Breakfast completed, we were on our way about 9am, but where to?

Well, It was back the way we came yesterday nearly to Wroxham but into Salhouse, walk and paddle for Lottie, a trip to The Fur & Feather for my favourite Woodfords beer Bure Gold, then back down the Bure to Ranworth, and a pizza from the den at The Malsters for dinner

Just before St Benet’s Abbey moorings and the turning for South Walsham, there is an area with large green posts and from memory signs that say danger submerged rocks (or similar) so I was somewhat surprised to see two hire boats moored between them, cant help thinking they are asking for trouble (picture below)

It was a gentle cruise along the Bure, destination Salhouse and through Horning again, we arrived at Salhouse before midday.

As I was praising myself on my superb boating skills at the New Inn, it’s only right that I come clean on stern mooring at Salhouse!

Mandy moved the dinghy to the front, this time we were back to normal, no problems at all, just as I started to turn, a day boat which was obviously oblivious to my intentions to moor, cut up the back off me and moored side on the quay, he was soon moved by the Ranger/quay attendant. Unfortunately, the wind had got me, and I had to go round again to line up.

To cut a long story short, it was probably another 3 attempts, before I cracked the code and start my mooring from the correct place allowing for the wind to push me to where I needed to be, but we got in, again with liberal use of throttle and bow thruster.

The ranger / quay attendant took my ropes, Mandy stepped off the boat and secured the ropes, I went to the bow, Susie used the bow thruster to straighten the boat, I dropped the mud weight, all’s a ‘gooden’

I’ve moored at Salhouse a number of times, this was the first occasion I’d had so much trouble, probably karma for the praise I received at Horning!

Shortly after a Herbert Woods boat came in with 6 fellas aged between 40 and 70, they made me feel better, in fact we had to pull them in with the ropes from our boat as the were stuck at an impossible angle, all was good no boats were hit in either manoeuvre

I paid our short stay mooring fee, it was now time to take Lottie for a walk, around Salhouse, she enjoyed a paddle where it slopes gently into the water, as I have said before she is a bit of a coward, she loves being in the water but doesn’t like stepping down, Salhouse was perfect!

After the walk, we went back to the boat, picked a bag of rubbish to put in the bins in the car park at the top by the road. Then walk up to The Fur & Feather for lunch.

We walked up the path towards the car park, but on arriving at the Car Park, there were no bins!

When did they go, did I dream there were bins there?

I didn’t want to carry it to the pub, so I hid it round the back of the toilet block and would get it when we returned, I know there’s bin at Ranworth I’ll get rid of it there I thought!

So, after a short walk up the road, we reached the pub, the weather had improved so we found a table in the garden, I went to order the drinks and get some menu’s, The beer choice is great, but my favourite is Bure Gold, Mandy had a couple of Pimm’s Susie’s choice Rose wine.

We all ordered a baguette, had a couple of drinks each (I actually had a cheeky third) the food was very good and so was the service. We were there for about an hour, before making our way back to the boat.

Once, at the car park  I went round the back of the toilet block and picked up the bag of rubbish, as I came back round a gentleman sitting on the bench probably waiting for his lady, gave me a quizzical look!

I thought I’d better explain to him, after I did, he said ‘I’ll take it for you, we’re going home so I’ll put it in my bin’

‘Are you sure, I’m sure I can get rid of it at Ranworth’ I replied

He was having none of that, and took our rubbish from me, some people are very kind!

On the way back Susie was fascinated by the hollow tree, so we had to take some photos of her, not unusually Lottie had to be included

Back at the boat, I filled up with water and shortly after that we left for Ranworth

Now the reason we hire a dinghy (Mandy is right it can be a pain in the bum) is so we can get to pubs even if the moorings are full, plus it’s only £25 for the week, so as we approached Ranworth we had options!

Option 1 get a space on the Staithe, as we were arriving around 4 probably unlikely

Option 2 moor at the Island, done this before, downside £13 for nothing except goose poo which the dog thinks is some kind of delicacy, and a long row when the instructions from your wife is ‘you need to go that way’ without any indication which direction that way is!

Option 3 mud weight, never done this before due to the dog, but she does have good bladder control, the only downside would be getting us all into the dinghy from the boat

So down Ranworth Dam and into Malthouse Broad, binoculars at the ready, as we passed the Island there were plenty of spaces, even for me in my current form, as we approached the Staithe it looked full, however there was possibly a space on the end by the dinghy dyke, but I thought it was tight and I didn’t want to be anti-social and reduce the entrance to the dyke.

So we mud weighted near the dinghy dyke close but far enough for the boat to swing without hitting anything, Mandy made some tea, I needed to think about that space so opened a beer, soon my decision was made for me, a boat came in probably similar size to Star and took the space, however they did make a meal of it, and about a quarter of the boat was over the dyke entrance

Oh well, I could have done that, but I’d have been concerned what people might think about me blocking part of the dyke, but that’s me!

Decision made, we are mud weighting, well it you don’t try something you’ll never know if you can do it, do you?

We didn’t need to book a table at The Malsters, there are plenty of tables inside and out so we decided that the plan would be row over about 6ish, go for a walk then eat, then take Lottie for another walk before rowing back to the boat!

Time arrived to leave the boat, so life jackets on, we’re going into new territory now, batting order was Mandy Lottie Susie then me. Mandy was always going to be the problem, she’s not as mobile as she used to be, but no problem sat on back of boat, I held the side of the dinghy she slid down and as instructed made herself low and sat in the middle seat, once the dinghy settled, she moved to the back seat, Lottie was simple, a handle on her LJ meant I could lift her straight to Mandy’s arms although she didn’t enjoy the experience, Susie next same procedure, slide in keep low and sit on middle seat, me next, told Susie to move to far side of dinghy to give some balance as obviously I couldn’t hold the dinghy firm and get into it, would be some trick if I could!

All 4 of us in the dinghy, Susie then moved to the front, and off we go, no problem getting out, so we headed for the Malsters for a drink.

A nice little circular walk (photo below) took us back to the Malsters for around 7pm, it was a nice evening so we got a table outside, I got the drinks Mandy got the pizza order forms, I do like the pizzas from the Malsters, not expensive and include a choice of toppings, more than I’d usually have and no extra charge

The girls couldn’t eat all theirs, so we left them in the box and put them in the dinghy, we then took Lottie for a walk up to St Helens Church and back down the footpath adjacent the road, this was the last chance until the morning for her to do the necessary, clearly there were appropriate smells on the walk so bladder now empty!

Into the dinghy and a short row to the boat, which had hardly moved, the water was quite still, getting out of the dinghy, would be reverse batting order, i.e. me first so I could hold the dinghy steady. I have some boat steps which hang off the boat, I always have a wide plank so I can spread the load and not damage the boat, these came in handy getting Mandy out, but we did it without anyone falling in, so big tick for us!

It was about 9pm, and the light was fading, so as per the previous night, we pulled the canopy back and I enjoyed some red wine, Mandy’s preferred tipple is tea, Susie had a coke

It had been a good day!

IMG_2241 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2242 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2244 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2245 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2246 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2249 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2248 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2250 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2253 - Copy.JPG

ranworth walk.jpg

VNQT5376.JPG

IMG_2257 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2258 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2259 - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

7 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Upton Dyke is pretty narrow but I'd say any Broads cruiser is fine navigating down it. I've taken an AF38 and a Crystal 37 down there in recent years and width is certainly no issue.

Where it does get complicated is in turning round outside Eastwood Whelpton (the only place you can turn). I opted not to take the Diamond 43 down there when I had the syndicate share as I knew it would be tough if the fleet were in.

I think if the hirefleet is out, the BA moorings are relatively empty and there isn't a boat moored on the left by the widest point then any Broads cruiser could be turned there, however if everything is full then turning a boat above 40ft isn't going to be the nicest of experiences.

It would be worse if there is no girly button. Neither of the boats I've taken down there recently had one, but they were Aquafibre hulls so obviously handled a lot better than Alphas etc.

We ventured down there a few weeks ago. A hie boat was just coming out and we asked if there was space to which the reply was “Loads”. So down we went EW had most of the yachts in and 4 cruisers moored on the parish staithe with 2 yachts double moored   We did manage to turn round but it required a small push with a foot to fend off a bowsprit   We had quite an audience I feel the hire boat was “Aving a laugh”. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Enjoying the tale Tim. Sorry I'm  slow catching up. I seem to have got the knack of selecting moorings without signal most evenings this week. 

So you should Helen, I’m only writing it because of you!  😉

No seriously I’ve enjoyed writing another one and reminiscing on good times

Just hope I’m not rambling too much

But I’m afraid I’m going to have to take another short break, as I’m off to Seville tomorrow for a short break with Mandy Susie Nick and their partners 

Nick has booked us kayaking any tips for someone who’s never been in one on how not to drown!  🤣

• Haha 1