Hm Queen Elizabeth.

ExSurveyor

We're beyond sad and feel cast adrift. I remember the day she became our queen very well. I was a very small child and  recall being seen across the road by a neighbour with whom I  had been with the instruction to "tell your mummy the king has died". I thionk in Charles we will have a good king if they just give him a chance and also Camilla will do a first rate job as consort I have no doubt.

Carole

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I sit here this morning feeling as though my batteries have just gone flat.  The Queen has given meaning to so much of my life.

I was born on the day She married Prince Philip and was 4 years old when I stood on the Mall, in the rain, and watched her coronation procession.  So I can honestly say I remember the whole of her reign, from start to finish.

At school I wore the Queen's uniform, as a cadet RNR.  Later, I earned her commission as an Army officer, and still have it framed at home.  As Griff so rightly says, she was The Boss.  All servicemen know what "Queen and Country" really means. Later I wore her uniform again, as a special constable.

The Navy, the Army and the Air Force will be "bulling their boots" right now.  They are going to have a lot of work to do in the next few days.  They will give her the sort of send - off that will be respected the world over.

Yes we are all very sad - I am quite stunned - but we must be proud as well.  Rejoice that we have known her!  We all have the enormous privilege of having lived in the safety, protection and continuity of, surely, the greatest Monarch the World has ever known.

Very well put indeed Vaughan.

My late father did his National Service overseas in the RAF, as did an uncle in the Army. I too wore the Queen's uniform in the cadets at school (CCF, RAF section) and I remember how we proudly provided Her Majesty a Guard of Honour when she once visited our school.

The Queen was not just Defender of the Faith in respect of the CofE, but has enabled all faiths in this country to worship openly, freely and safely. 

Without doubt her send-off will be an event like no other.

Your phrase "the greatest Monarch the World has ever known." sums up the Queen perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Truly sad .Still trying to come to terms with the news.

Having met her quite a few times. Formally and not so formally

All I can say is we have lost the most dignified person, when on duty. And the most wonderful profounder of wit, repartee and banter I have ever come across when not on duty.

God Save the Queen. Long live the King

That seems so weird. She has been on the throne every day, but one of my life. She had been queen 5 months when I was born.

• Like 3

It would be nice if they can  bring her home by train so every body along the route has a chance to stand track side to pay there respects. I remember as a boy standing by the track side as this huge gleaming Black steam train decked out passed by taking her father from Sandringham back to London. This Memory has never left me. There where many pictures in the papers or every crossing along the route of people standing showing there respects for him as he went by.John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We may have our 'issues' with France, but that is certainly a very moving and proper tribute - differences set aside and genuine feelings expressed on behalf of the French people.

It is clear HM The Queen was seen by the world to be above petty politics - I note the even the Russians and Putin have risen above and made positive statements. 

Tributes indeed from every corner of the globe to make us all proud of our late Monarch.

• Like 5

I have a horrible feeling she is the Bishop of London!

A wonderful lament on the pipes.  I wonder if that was the Queen's piper, from Balmoral?  They didn't tell us.

And the wonderful words of the Nunc Dimittis.

Lord now lettest thou Thy servant depart in peace, according to Thy word.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turnoar said:

My littlest one finished off the drawings last nite after I’d posted them yesterday. Very fitting for a Prince and now King who I explained once graced my great aunt & uncles Pleasure Boat Inn.

B08C149D-7810-41A7-B258-BBB4317402BA.jpeg

DF2A9750-B4A0-45A8-9678-8581D73E1F69.jpeg

Cherry Brandy I believe 🙂

• Like 1

I am not a Royalist but she was an astonishing woman in every sense.

As the Queen, her sense of public duty was impeccable. It was a rare, beautiful and inspiring thing in this world where anything goes and so many feel no obligation to any other than themselves, living for their own selfish pleasure.

In her personal life it seems to me that she had many troubles dealing with the peronal attributes and behaviour of her children, grandchildren and their partners. Nontheless, despite living in the glare of the public eye and viewed through tabloid culture, throughout it all, she kept her silent dignity as a loyal mother and grandmother.

In her spiritual life she, was a humble beacon of Faith and a true inspiration to Christians everywhere. I'm quite sure it was in her religious beliefs that she found her strength of character, guidance and peace through her long and challenging life.

She is with God now and in my mind's eye I can see Him welcoming her as His "good and faithful servant".

• Like 7

Piper perfectly timed too, although I expect he ‘modified the music’ as he neared then end to time it just right. The UK is just the best at pomp and circumstance. No other country has choral singing that can match. A real spectacle and as you say, a moving day. 

• Like 1

as i watched it i found myself considering that he must have known how many steps it would take, and adjusted his start position accordingly, all in all considering they probably had less than 24 hours notice to organise and set up the whole service, i think they did a fantastic job, i observed the red coated ladies and gents that were quietly guiding people to be in their correct place for their part in the service, fantastic organisation.

granted they must have plans set up for these things, but this will be the first time the plan has been dusted off in 70 years.

Copied n pasted

——————————-

What happens now

Once Her Majesty’s eyes were closed, Charles immediately became king. His siblings will have kissed his hands in honour.
The Queen’s body will lie at rest in Balmoral Castle then will be moved to her smallest palace, Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, where she is traditionally guarded by the Royal Company of Archers, who wear eagle feathers in their bonnets.
Then the coffin will be carried up the Royal Mile to St Giles’s cathedral for a service of reception, before being put on board the Royal Train at Waverley station for a sad progress down the east coast mainline. 
Crowds are expected at level crossings and on station platforms the length of the country – from Musselburgh and Thirsk in the north, to Peterborough and Hatfield in the south – to throw flowers on the passing train. (Another locomotive will follow behind, to clear debris from the tracks.)
The Queen’s body then returns to the throne room in Buckingham Palace, which overlooks the north-west corner of the Quadrangle, its interior courtyard.
There will be an altar, the pall, the royal standard, and four Grenadier Guards, their bearskin hats inclined, their rifles pointing to the floor, standing watch.
The government’s team – coordinating the police, security, transport and armed forces – will assemble at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. Someone will have the job of printing around 10,000 tickets for invited guests, the first of which will be required for the proclamation of King Charles III tomorrow.
Books of condolence – loose leaf, so inappropriate messages can be removed – will be placed in town halls, libraries and museums.
Mayors will mask their decorations (maces will be shrouded with black bags).
In provincial cities, big screens will be erected so crowds can follow events taking place in London.
Flags of all possible descriptions, including beach flags (but not red danger flags), will be flown at half mast.
European royal families arriving to attend the funeral will be put up at Buckingham Palace; the rest will stay at Claridge’s hotel.
Parliament will gather. Both houses will sit tomorrow.
On D+1, the day after the Queen’s death, the flags will go back up and at 11am Charles will be officially proclaimed King Charles III. His namesakes were Charles II who died in 1685 and Charles I, executed in 1649.
King Charles is expected to introduce Queen Camilla at his Accession Council on D+1.
There will be a thousand final preparations in the nine days before the funeral. Soldiers will walk the processional routes. Prayers will be rehearsed and television cameras mounted on the roads. 
Her Majesty’s funeral service will be held in Westminster Abbey. Prior to that her body will repose in Westminster Hall.
On D+1, Westminster Hall will be locked, cleaned and its stone floor covered with 1,500 metres of carpet. Candles, their wicks already burnt in, will be brought over from the Abbey. 
The bollards on the Mall will be removed and rails put up to protect the hedges. There is space for 7,000 seats on Horse Guards Parade and 1,345 on Carlton House Terrace.
The Queen’s 10 pallbearers will be chosen and practise carrying their burden out of sight in a barracks somewhere. British royals are buried in lead-lined coffins weighing a quarter of a ton.
On D+4, the coffin will move to Westminster Hall, to lie in state for four full days. The procession from Buckingham Palace will be the first great military parade of Operation London Bridge - the Queen's funeral plan - down the Mall, through Horse Guards, and past the Cenotaph.
Inside the hall, there will be psalms as the coffin is placed on a catafalque draped in purple.
The orb, the sceptre and the Imperial Crown will be fixed in place, soldiers will stand guard and then the doors opened to the multitude that will have formed outside and will now stream past the Queen for 23 hours a day. A million people are expected.
The queue will be long – with canteens, police, portable toilets and strangers talking cautiously to one another – stretching down to Vauxhall Bridge and then over the river and back along the Albert Embankment. MPs will skip to the front.
Four soldiers will stand silent vigil for 20 minutes at a time, with two ready in reserve. The RAF, the Army, the Royal Navy, the Beefeaters and the Gurkhas will take part. The most senior officer of the four will stand at the foot of the coffin, the most junior at the head.
The wreaths on the coffin will be renewed every day.
Before dawn on D+9, the day of the funeral, in the silent hall, the jewels will be taken off the coffin and cleaned.
Shops will close or go to bank holiday hours. Many will display pictures of the Queen in their windows. The stock market will not open. The night before, there will have been church services in towns across the UK. There are plans to open football stadiums for memorial services if necessary.
At 9am, Big Ben will strike. The bell’s hammer will then be covered with a leather pad seven-sixteenths of an inch thick and it will ring out in muffled tones. The distance from Westminster Hall to the Abbey is only a few hundred metres.
When the coffin reaches the abbey doors, at 11 o’clock, the country will fall silent. The clatter will still. Train stations will cease announcements. Buses will stop and drivers will get out at the side of the road.
Inside the Abbey, the archbishop will speak. During prayers, the broadcasters will refrain from showing royal faces. When the coffin emerges again, the pallbearers will place it on the green gun carriage that was used for the Queen’s father, and his father and his father’s father, and 138 junior sailors will drop their heads to their chests and pull.
The procession will swing on to the Mall. The crowds will be deep for the Queen. From Hyde Park Corner, the hearse will go 23 miles by road to Windsor Castle, which claims the bodies of British sovereigns. Crowds will line the route in mourning.
The royal household will be waiting for her, standing on the grass. Then the cloister gates will be closed and cameras will stop broadcasting. Inside the chapel, the lift to the royal vault will descend and King Charles will drop a handful of red earth from a silver bowl.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5