Hm Queen Elizabeth.

ExSurveyor

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Certainly used the gun carriage at Winstons - I stood on Ludgate Hill. After the service taken to Waterloo by the MV Havengore.

Lasting memory is the noise made by the steel studs in their boots as they came up the hill - only sound to be heard.

I was at Waterloo Station watching as the train left to take the coffin to Bladon (or the nearest station) - my father was on the train.  It was very moving!

• Like 1

Griff - security issues I would suggest without a doubt! How do yo guard over 400 miles of track?? Not possible I would hazard a guess. I was surprised to see the train mentioned anyway - didn't see any official mention of it other than in your (? ) earlier post.

With the greatest of respect to you being a Northerner who feels affronted, there are plenty of other places and people missing out - how about everyone in the west of the country?

I seem to recall the King saying that her remains would be flown down as part of his speech.

anyway, not being one to normally wax lyrical, a short tribute came to me so I used the online book of condolences to pen it down.

The Queen

Our Queen

My Queen

Much Loved

Much Missed

Never Forgotten

Rest in Peace

4 hours ago, ExSurveyor said:

I do hope that they include the Princess Royal.

I would have thought not but I see that she was not part of the "Vigil of the Princes" for the Queen Mother..

I'm somewhat saddened that the funeral looks like taking place on Monday 19th as I'll be in the air that morning flying (as PAX) from Hamburg to Palma.  I'd have preferred the Sunday as I could have at least watched live.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, HEM said:

I would have thought not but I see that she was not part of the "Vigil of the Princes" for the Queen Mother..

I'm somewhat saddened that the funeral looks like taking place on Monday 19th as I'll be in the air that morning flying (as PAX) from Hamburg to Palma.  I'd have preferred the Sunday as I could have at least watched live.

Perhaps they will change it if you ask them?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, grendel said:

all in all considering they probably had less than 24 hours notice to organise and set up the whole service, i think they did a fantastic job,

I think the choristers, musicians etc rehearse regularly for this and other similar occasions. 
For a number of years before the death of the queen mother, I had a friend who was involved in the fabrication of false grp walls for Westminster Hall so that tv cameras etc can be hidden behind. 

It’s strange (to me, at least) that a short video, shown during the recent Platinum Jubilee celebrations, has become so iconic.  Maybe, because it showed her sense of humour, it certainly made me smile.

As the result of that, many images have emerged over the past few days, relating to that video.  I was in a waiting room yesterday and the only newspaper was The Sun (if you can actually call it that) was available to read.  Just to pass a few minutes I had a quick thumb through and came upon this.

00B27B33-90AB-4875-B29D-CBF95F48A9E7.jpeg

• Like 6

I notice that the new Royal Cypher, with CR, not ER has appeared on the tie worn by the King at his accession, as well as on the door of his car.  It seems to feature the "King's Crown" as used for K.G.VI, rather than the "Queen's crown" that we have known since 1952.

100_4162.thumb.jpg.67c61835a8a4d38cb7e4d14c21b6890b.jpg

Here on the left is my old Naval cap badge from the 1960s and on the right, my father's badge from the 40s, with the crown used by both K.G.5 and K.G.6. 

These are known as the King's and Queen's crowns but I believe it is a matter of choice as to which of the several crowns each Monarch wishes to use. This will mean all of the uniform badges, emblems and insignia are going to have be changed.

I have just realised that my passport is going to run out in about 6 weeks, so it might not only be a delay due to Brexit, but a change of sovereign as well!  I wonder when I will next see Norfolk?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have just realised that my passport is going to run out in about 6 weeks, so it might not only be a delay due to Brexit, but a change of sovereign as well!  I wonder when I will next see Norfolk?

The new passports shouldn’t take long to filter through, although they’ll probably get delayed clearing customs in the UK.  I believe that the printing company appointed to produce them, as we broke away from the EU and become an  independent trading nation, is actually French!

You couldn’t write it! 😉

• Haha 2