The Sunken Boat On Haddiscoe New Cut Should Be Removed Tomorrow

Dear all,

Please be aware that there is an ongoing incident regarding a sunken vessel on the Haddiscoe New Cut (St Olaves end).

The hazard has been marked and lit up by Broads Authority Rangers, and is planned to be removed tomorrow Saturday 17 September.

The navigation remains open but please proceed with care and caution if you are passing through the area.

Best,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Senior Communications Officer

Direct dial 01603 756034

Broads Authority 

Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road, Norwich NR1 1RY

Please note that my normal working hours are 8.00am – 4.45pm Monday to Friday, with alternate Mondays as non-working days.

If I am out of the office I will deal with your email on my return, alternatively please contact another member of the Communications team.

• Thanks 1

Here is a copy of the Hemsby lifeboat facebook post.

Hemsby Broads Rescue was paged yesterday afternoon at about 14:53 to reports of a vessel at St Olaves taking on water with five persons on board; Hemsby was tasked to assist Lowestoft and Gorleston Coastguard teams with the evacuation of the people trapped on board the vessel.

While in transit to the launch point, it became apparent that the vessel had sunk and that at least one other private vessel had come to their assistance but, in so doing, had become fouled.

As Hemsby Broads Rescue prepared to launch, we were updated, and it was confirmed that all persons on board the casualty vessel were now safe and under the supervision of the Coastguard. Humber requested that we still launch and check on the other boat that may have been in difficulty.

On arrival on the scene, the crew could confirm that the private vessel that had come to the aid of the casualty vessel was also safe and, with assistance from a third vessel, was out of danger and underway.

Hemsby Broads Rescue was then stood down and returned to the station to prepare for the next call for assistance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Here is a copy of the Hemsby lifeboat facebook post.

Thank you for that factual report, which I hope will allay the usual trial by forum which follows such incidents.

"whose boatyard was it?"

"Did they get a proper trial run?"

"Was the boat properly serviced?"

"Were they shown the video?"

It seems to be acceptable on facebook but please, not here.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Thank you for that factual report, which I hope will allay the usual trial by forum which follows such incidents.

"whose boatyard was it?"

"Did they get a proper trial run?"

"Was the boat properly serviced?"

"Were they shown the video?"

It seems to be acceptable on facebook but please, not here.

I’m sorry… You saying we can we not ask what boat and what yard it’s from???

I can not see the problem with that Question at all.

But What makes you judge and jury on this subject. So others can not ask a simple question ?? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

I’m sorry… You saying we can we not ask what boat and what yard it’s from???

I can not see the problem with that Question at all.

But What makes you judge and jury on this subject. So others can not ask a simple question ?? 

Maybe there’s no issue with knowing the boat and the yard.  The trouble is it doesn’t usually end there (especially on FB).  A ‘social media’ trial generally follows, with all blame attributable to the hirers who’ve obviously had inadequate tuition and assumed to be stupid, that then degenerates into a debate about hirers taking a compulsory boat handling course and gaining a licence.  All that without knowing the circumstances behind the incident.  The same applies to craft running aground on Breydon (or even elsewhere).

I that respect, I agree with Vaughan.  We don’t know what happened, or why.  There is photographic evidence of a sunken cruiser.  That is, I hope, the end of it on here.  No speculation as to the cause is necessary.  The crew will have suffered enough already, without social media turning them into villains.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Well it's just come up on my Google news feed, the Yarmouth Mercury are reporting it struck an underwater object at high tide. Its been widely reported what yard the boats from so no secret there. So a simple accident, everyone safe the boat will be recovered and repaired. End of story....

I believe you'll find this was ultimately caused by the current, and sadly still ongoing, bilge pump strike. It appears that there is dissent within the bilge pumpers and empties union over pay and conditions. It also seems that the majority of pumps, or 'bilge content extraction engineers' as they now wish to be known by, have not been receiving adequate tuition during handovers nor given the opportunity to view the relevant videos. 

To be honest, it seems that most of the effected pumps feel that they are being kept in the dark :facepalm:

:default_hiding:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Rogue fish have been spotted on that stretch with battery drills.

Well someone has to start the rumours. 

Sure they are not Krakens escaped from Breydon?

Horrible place to have an accident like this glad to see they got off OK.

Been a bit windy just recently so I wonder if that was a factor along with the strong tides.

Just a few days ago I pulled a boat out of the reeds near Somerlayton that had been blown there.

54 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

Maybe there’s no issue with knowing the boat and the yard.  The trouble is it doesn’t usually end there (especially on FB).  A ‘social media’ trial generally follows, with all blame attributable to the hirers who’ve obviously had inadequate tuition and assumed to be stupid, that then degenerates into a debate about hirers taking a compulsory boat handling course and gaining a licence.  All that without knowing the circumstances behind the incident.  The same applies to craft running aground on Breydon (or even elsewhere).

I that respect, I agree with Vaughan.  We don’t know what happened, or why.  There is photographic evidence of a sunken cruiser.  That is, I hope, the end of it on here.  No speculation as to the cause is necessary.  The crew will have suffered enough already, without social media turning them into villains.

I’m not asking how and what happened... 

All I said was .... Why can I not ask a simple question, of Which yard and boat.. Thankfully Hylander and FF have confirmed the answer I only wanted to know...

And secondly reading a comment telling us not to ask Questions by a member who is not Even Admin...

Well if that’s the case why bother posting the story on in the first place.. if questions can not be asked pointless putting them on. Isn’t it ????.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

I believe you'll find this was ultimately caused by the current, and sadly still ongoing, bilge pump strike. It appears that there is dissent within the bilge pumpers and empties union over pay and conditions. It also seems that the majority of pumps, or 'bilge content extraction engineers' as they now wish to be known by, have not been receiving adequate tuition during handovers nor given the opportunity to view the relevant videos. 

To be honest, it seems that most of the effected pumps feel that they are being kept in the dark :facepalm:

:default_hiding:

Very comical post JA 🤣👍

On a more serious note I stand to be corrected but the average Bilge Pump on a Broads Boat would struggle to cope with anything more than a very minor Hull Breach. I am sure mine would not. They are not fitted with Emergency Bilge Injection Systems (strange term IMHO) that larger vessels have whereby with some valve turning and blank removal the largest pump in the engine room, usually a water cooling pump for The Main Engine(s) can be deployed to counter flooding in the Engine Room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

And secondly reading a comment telling us not to ask Questions by a member who is not Even Admin...

I have always understood it to be a rule here that we do not "name and shame" boats which have found themselves in trouble.  Perhaps it is a simple matter of courtesy, or maybe a thought that "it could have been me".

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

On a more serious note I stand to be corrected but the average Bilge Pump on a Broads Boat would struggle to cope with anything more than a very minor Hull Breach. I am sure mine would not. They are not fitted with Emergency Bilge Injection Systems (strange term IMHO) that larger vessels have whereby with some valve turning and blank removal the largest pump in the engine room, usually a water cooling pump for The Main Engine(s) can be deployed to counter flooding in the Engine Room.

And this sort of wild and totally irrelevant speculation is exactly why.

Imagine what the hirer might say about this :

I was not told on the trial run that with some valve turning and and blank removal the largest pump in the engine room, usually a  water cooling pump . . . .  can be deployed to counter flooding in the engine room.

For Goodness' sake!

• Like 1

Enough bickering, it is tedious and does not reflect well on the forum.

The picture does not identify the individual boat.

Information about what is on commercial craft is informative but not related to hire craft as stated in the relevant post.

All take a breathe or posts will be hidden or the thread locked.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I have always understood it to be a rule here that we do not "name and shame" boats which have found themselves in trouble

your understanding is quite correct, however you can say a boat from XXX yard, as long as any pictures dont show the boat name or registration, and they are not named in the post.

on another note i do know you can get an 1100 gallon per hour bilge pump - though here (https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice/expert-advice-archive/2014/december/bilge-pump-capacity-do-the-math) they recommend a 4000 gallon per hour capacity for a 45 foot boat