Heaters On Boats

40 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

I fitted one to my last boat, never was 100% happy with it as it always seemed to have a mind of its own regardless of what the thermostat was set to.  They decided to give me a free upgrade to a digital controller as the basic one was not available and I think this was where the problem lay. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Andrew Hot air is easier to install but can be difficult to control temperature if heating more than one airier also if left running at night can make the atmosphere dry, also it can be audible. Hot water ie radiators are easily controlled and can reach further along the boat, But radiators or scerting radiators can be more difficult to fit on a boat, but they dont dry the air if left on all night as do air blown. The most reliable heater is a Hurricane hot water heater oridgely designed for log cabins in Canada they can be cycled on and of like a house hold heater, they are much cheaper to service and repair than Webasto, Ebspacher as each item is separate and can be exchanged/removed as necessary, unlike webasto and Ebspacher the down side is they take up more space and need to be fitted on a flat surface, i have used all the heaters and The Hurricane one i have now beats all the others, but if you need a air blown one the Russian looks the best bet BUT i have no personal experience of them. Another advantage to water heating is it can be run from the engine cooling system as you sail with a cost saving. John

I do have a fan/matrix powered from my port engine so I can blow a bit of heat through the boat while running, it doesn't pump out as much heat as the eber but it does the job, it seemded daft to chuck heat out the exhaust when the starboard engine does the calorifier.

I also added a cable controlled valve so I can duct my eber up to the screen for demisting which works well, the screen duct was the hardest to fit in and had to be flattened down in places.

Valve was self made as the plastic ones are crap, one closes as the other opens.

20190629_124818.thumb.jpg.a824ec567eba0a3af36b2223ef600e74.jpg

One of the other mods I did was run a duct to each side of the front berth so we can slip a spare length of duct over the outlets and run them under the duvet so the bed gets warmed and aired while we finish the last beer, just call the heater when ordering the last pint and it runs for an hour so we get back to a toasty boat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, grendel said:

surely the issue with gas heating is the fact that  it is gas, with associated hazards, maintaining ventilation etc, getting gas installations approved for use and through the BSS, must also be considered I suppose.

Sorry Grendel missed this post.

Maintaining ventilation cannot be a problem.

Can it?

1 hour ago, FlyingFortress said:

Sorry Grendel missed this post.

Maintaining ventilation cannot be a problem.

Can it?

after some of the reports following carbon monoxide poisonings, where vents were blocked because of draughts, i believe so, this is why all hire craft have notices over certain windows saying not to block them. this is why some yards are headed towards gas free boats i guess.