A Land Based Holiday

Gracie

I thought I'd use this thread to mention the pubs we visited in August, they seem to get such a bad rap for opening hours, staffing issues etc but we had good experiences all round to be honest

We had Sunday lunch in the Wayford Bridge, the service was excellent as was the food (and wine)

We went in all the pubs in Horning except Flavours which I wish I had after Meantime's post. The Swan was the most expensive but once again the service and food was good (and the wine) good job my Mum was driving :default_biggrin: 

The Ferry was good although we only had coffee and a sandwich outside, it's a great people/boat watching place. We saw a day boat moor up with the help of the mooring assistant whose occupants proceeded to have their packed lunches, wine and beer which I thought was a tad off as they didn't go in the pub at all. Each to their own of course but if you're going to take a mooring, I feel you should use the facilities and not just the mooring space

The New Inn again very good, staff very attentive and as you all know fantastic garden for a glass of something nice and watching the people on the river. We used the pubs at lunch times so no worry of getting turfed out early

The Bridge Inn, Acle, I can't praise this place enough, fantastic location, service excellent as was the food and wine, I've always had a soft spot for this place, it always brings back memories of sitting in the garden with my parents, glass of shandy and a packet of crisps 

The Kings Head Wroxham, again first class and very welcome after visiting Roy's Toy's to spend not very well earned pocket money :default_biggrin: Another thing I did as a child too, I know the excitement that shop brings to children and how they always pick something they haven't quite got enough money for :facepalm:

All round good experiences with, it appeared to me, pubs and their staff doing the best they can in rough times 

Cheers :default_drink_2: x

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, Ray said:

Well said Gracie, we always find all the Broads pubs are doing their best, often under difficult circumstances 👍

Difficult customers sometimes too Ray. I'm not sure if you know but I'm a bit of a people watcher and sometimes can't help over hearing other peoples conversations, I think people would liken it to being nosy :default_biggrin: Anyway, I did witness people complaining over the silliest things. I'm all for complaining when something is blatantly wrong but having to wait 5 minutes to be served at the bar isn't one of them. I couldn't do the job, I'd end up pouring pints of beer over peoples heads :default_biggrin:  x

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, Gracie said:

Difficult customers sometimes too Ray. I'm not sure if you know but I'm a bit of a people watcher and sometimes can't help over hearing other peoples conversations, I think people would liken it to being nosy :default_biggrin: Anyway, I did witness people complaining over the silliest things. I'm all for complaining when something is blatantly wrong but having to wait 5 minutes to be served at the bar isn't one of them. I couldn't do the job, I'd end up pouring pints of beer over peoples heads :default_biggrin:  x

:default_beerchug:My son and his partner have a great village pub that also serves food. They won Shepherd and Neames tenented pub of the year this August.  They get the very occassional 'odd' customer.  I certainly would NOT go behind behind the bar to serve!  I sometimes wonder how they put up with it!

• Like 5

Thank you Simon, I did find it a tad off and to be honest was waiting for them to be moved off. You're right about opposite or Cockshoot, would have been my preferred spots too if I wasn't using the pub which would be highly unlikely :default_biggrin:

Love your holiday tale, apparently the weather is going to be rough later on today, take care and stay safe x

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Blimey Monica, I know I can be nosy but not to the point of following people into the ruddy toilets :default_biggrin:

I didn't see anyone get off the boat to be honest, not that I was watching or anything :default_icon_liar: x

That does seem strange and I suppose I am speaking from personal experience as getting on , loos are more important than anything and being on a day boat without facilities I would have thought practical stop at the pub for lunch and you can imagine the rest.

• Like 1