Wanderings On Water Rail

YnysMon

Thank you Hellen for your blog I must say looked like you had a good time on the broads this year. 

Thanks for finding my long johns 🤣by the way 

I hope the dog gets a loving home he looks a beauty. 

Look forward to your next holiday tales 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Roy said:

I must say looked like you had a good time on the broads this year. 

Yes, we’ve been exceptionally lucky this year with our MS allocations, the Beccles Show and this trip on Water Rail. Next trip is 30th December. 

Harry has pointed out that our rescue looked like a Tamaskan dog breed. We had been thinking Northern Inuit Dog, but seems more similar to photos of Tamaskans. Both breeds sound similar in temperament…too friendly to be guard dogs, despite their wolf like appearance.

Tamaskan.

image.jpeg.aa2b14357b4a32b1d402d6503950f94a.jpeg

His owner hasn’t yet been traced, and I had an email today to say he should be available for adoption soon. However, we might be outside their adoption area as they generally like to visit an adoption home, as do most responsible rescue centres. 

can they get an adoption centre near you to do the home visit on their behalf?

we once had a new to us cat who escaped out of an almost closed window, he was wearing a collar when he escaped, and was spotted locally a few times, we did report him as lost, and were amazed 2 years later, when we were told he had been found, a lady had spent 6 months coaxing him to her, when she asked if she could keep him, we said yes, as we had only known him for about a week before he went awol, and we had rescued another 2 cats in the intervening years. we were just happy he had found a home where he was loved.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Harry has pointed out that our rescue looked like a Tamaskan dog breed. We had been thinking Northern Inuit Dog, but seems more similar to photos of Tamaskans. Both breeds sound similar in temperament…too friendly to be guard dogs, despite their wolf like appearance.

Tamaskan.

image.jpeg.aa2b14357b4a32b1d402d6503950f94a.jpeg

His owner hasn’t yet been traced, and I had an email today to say he should be available for adoption soon. However, we might be outside their adoption area as they generally like to visit an adoption home, as do most responsible rescue centres. 

Send them a walk round video showing relevant garden fences etc with Seren in the shots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Send them a walk round video showing relevant garden fences etc with Seren in the shots.

Not sure that would be a good idea. We used to have a thick hedge at the back, but that was massacred in the summer by contractors employed by our insurance company. The trees were causing subsidence. So we currently have a temporary chicken wire fence that doesn’t look at all convincing. Seren is fine with it, and treats it like a proper boundary, but if we do adopt another dog we’ll have to take care.

We do have plans for a proper fence! 

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Ooh, good luck Helen. He does look a most beautiful dog. Can you cope with all the shed hair?

No idea…Seren sheds quite a lot herself. 

I find it hard to believe a dog like that goes awol and someone is not pulling out all the stops to track it down, I'd be onto every dog rescue place going if my hound disappeared, makes a mockery of the microchip system.

My beast has 2 chips, thought something amiss at first with 2 numbers on her pet passport (romanian rescue) so we got the vet to give a good scan, sure enough they found both but the original had migrated to nearer an armpit, I guess they scanned and assumed a failure so fitted another.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

I find it hard to believe a dog like that goes awol and someone is not pulling out all the stops to track it down, I'd be onto every dog rescue place going if my hound disappeared, makes a mockery of the microchip system.

My beast has 2 chips, thought something amiss at first with 2 numbers on her pet passport (romanian rescue) so we got the vet to give a good scan, sure enough they found both but the original had migrated to nearer an armpit, I guess they scanned and assumed a failure so fitted another.

A microchip certainly worked for our elderly cat before he died. People kept picking him up and taking him to various vets thinking he was a stray - he was just very old and looked scrawny. Luckily, we were contacted very quickly whenever he ended up in a vets. 

As far as this dog is concerned, maybe the owner failed to get their contact details updated, or alternatively they have sadly passed away and someone else inherited the dog. I'm still convinced from the location that the dog was found that he somehow entered the river. The place he was found is completely inaccessible from land. 

42 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

A microchip certainly worked for our elderly cat before he died. People kept picking him up and taking him to various vets thinking he was a stray - he was just very old and looked scrawny. Luckily, we were contacted very quickly whenever he ended up in a vets. 

As far as this dog is concerned, maybe the owner failed to get their contact details updated, or alternatively they have sadly passed away and someone else inherited the dog. I'm still convinced from the location that the dog was found that he somehow entered the river. The place he was found is completely inaccessible from land. 

Do you think he may have been dropped of there from a boat it’s a horrible thought but the rising cost may have prompted it’s owners to abandon him ? 

Why they couldn’t have taken him to a rescue centre if that is what’s happened? 

7 minutes ago, Roy said:

Do you think he may have been dropped of there from a boat it’s a horrible thought but the rising cost may have prompted it’s owners to abandon him ? 

Why they couldn’t have taken him to a rescue centre if that is what’s happened? 

Well, the fact he didn't have a collar is suggestive of that. Goodness knows why someone wouldn't take a dog to a rescue centre in those circumstances, but we know that it does happen.

I had another reply to the email that I sent yesterday to say that they had asked an officer to contact us once the dog is released for re-homing.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Feel a bit like crying myself, but also quite nervous. The dog warden service normally don't do direct homing and they stressed on me that it's at our risk, as normally a dog is transferred to a rehoming centre and properly assessed before being offered up for adoption.

We've had a trip to Pets at Home and Aldi this morning to buy an extra large crate, harness and dog bed, as we we won't have much time for shopping this weekend. Moonlight Shadow AGM is tomorrow and on Sunday youngest son Alec is arriving back from the US. 

1 minute ago, CeePee1952 said:

That's brilliant news Helen! I'm sure Pozzick will be well integrated into the family home very quickly :default_biggrin: (Have you determined what breed he is yet?).

Chris

We are thinking maybe Tamaskan or Northern Inuit Dog, or he might just be a mut - a German Shepherd/Husky cross. The Dog Warden service listed him first as a 'Wolf Dog' (both Tamaskans and Northern Inuit's are descibed as that) but they later changed it to Husky X. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks guys. Feel a bit like crying myself, but also quite nervous. The dog warden service normally don't do direct homing and they stressed on me that it's at our risk, as normally a dog is transferred to a rehoming centre and properly assessed before being offered up for adoption.

We've had a trip to Pets at Home and Aldi this morning to buy an extra large crate, harness and dog bed, as we we won't have much time for shopping this weekend. Moonlight Shadow AGM is tomorrow and on Sunday youngest son Alec is arriving back from the US. 

We are thinking maybe Tamaskan or Northern Inuit Dog, or he might just be a mut - a German Shepherd/Husky cross. The Dog Warden service listed him first as a 'Wolf Dog' (both Tamaskans and Northern Inuit's are descibed as that) but they later changed it to Husky X. 

We've had 4 GSD's over the last 32 years (the last 3, including our current GSD, were/is very loyal and sociable and also very good deterrents if needed :default_smile: If Pozzick is a Husky/GSD cross then he'll be a fine companion!  I have heard that the Husky breed does have a tendency sometimes to wander off on it's own for a spot of exploring when not on a lead! Nevertheless - as I've said before, Pozzick is a cracking looking dog!

Chris

• Like 1

Just now, Andrewcook said:

Hi, all the best on the rehoming of this beautiful Dog in the picture that will be cared for and may be taken on a Boat around the Broads later on.

Unless the whole adoption goes pear-shaped, he certainly will be taken on a boat! :default_biggrin: We are next due to be on Moonlight Shadow at the end of December.

Just now, CeePee1952 said:

I have heard that the Husky breed does have a tendency sometimes to wander off on it's own for a spot of exploring when not on a lead!

Yes, we've read that. They like to chase rabbits and such like. Dog training classes are probably on the cards!!

• Like 1

Loving the name, with that face shape I wouldn't be surprised if he was a romanian rescue at some stage as there is a common look in all sorts of sizes of dog from there, they tend to be mixes of mixes of mixes which keeps the vet bills down.

I hope Seren is as tollerant when sharing the house as well as the boat and mum and dads attention.

You've already done half the checks a rehoming centre does, good natured with people and dogs is the main thing they look at.

My last dog was a husky/gsd/lab mix up and once he had got the idea we were home we could let him off anywhere and he would always keep us in view or come looking for us but that was maybe because he was rehomed by his previous dad and didn't want it happening again.

• Like 2