Wanderings On Water Rail

YnysMon

10 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

That's good news, Helen, I'm pleased for you. Is Pozzick a Norfolk pronunciation of Postwick?

Yes, that's my understanding. I'm sure that's what the guy who answered my call to Norfolk Constabulary called it - if course, I had said 'Post-wick'.  Someone tell me quick if Pozzick isn't correct!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If you get a big waggy tail when you collect that will be a good sign.

Yep and a dog biscuit or two helps a lot

Do not do what my sister did once with a new rescue dog on its first day home. She collected it on a Sunday and for its first meal she treated it to the scraps of the Sunday roast, not much, just little bits of meat, peas and gravy.

Well, it had been fed dry dog food for a couple of months whilst being behind bars and promptly threw up all over the kitchen floor!  :default_rofl:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Update - got a call this morning from the Norfolk Dog Warden service. Graham is going to collect the dog on Monday. We've decided to call him Pozzick, given he was found near the Postwick Viaduct. 

wow, congratulations. what a lovely thing to do for this dog. I think Pozzick has just won the 'doggy lottery' (if there is such a thing!).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Well, it had been fed dry dog food for a couple of months whilst being behind bars and promptly threw up all over the kitchen floor!

Pozzick will be getting the same high protien dried food as Seren, though a version for large breeds. It's called Yora and is made from insect grubs. She loves it.

2 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Should it be outside?

As OBB says, outside and on neutral territory, so not your garden and nowhere that Seren is so familiar with that she thinks of it as her own.

Do you have one of those fields you can hire for half hour near you? Round here they cost £5 or so for half hour exclusive use. You’d then be able to let them off lead for a few mins at the end if they are unfazed by the initial meet and lead walk together. 

You are right to be nervous, it’ll help to keep you attuned to their body language. Don’t show the dogs your nervousness though!

But what an awesome thing to offer him, Helen. 

27 minutes ago, kpnut said:

As OBB says, outside and on neutral territory, so not your garden and nowhere that Seren is so familiar with that she thinks of it as her own.

Do you have one of those fields you can hire for half hour near you? Round here they cost £5 or so for half hour exclusive use. You’d then be able to let them off lead for a few mins at the end if they are unfazed by the initial meet and lead walk together. 

You are right to be nervous, it’ll help to keep you attuned to their body language. Don’t show the dogs your nervousness though!

But what an awesome thing to offer him, Helen. 

Thanks Kate. I'm not sure the field idea is feasible, not least because we only have one car at present. But we have lots of parkland nearby, so that's probably the best we can do.

37 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Pozzick will be getting the same high protien dried food as Seren, though a version for large breeds. It's called Yora and is made from insect grubs. She loves it.

Just a thought Helen.  If Pozzick is a cross between a Husky and a GSD and depending how dominant the GSD strain is, most GSD's are NOT protein tolerant.  All of our GSD's had/have a low protein diet.  It might not be a problem in Pozzick's case but thought I'd mention it.

Chris

6 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

All of our GSD's had/have a low protein diet.  It might not be a problem in Pozzick's case but thought I'd mention it

Thanks Chris. That's something to ask our vet about. Graham is about to make an appointment with our vet to get Pozzick checked out as soon as possible next week. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Thanks Chris. That's something to ask our vet about. Graham is about to make an appointment with our vet to get Pozzick checked out as soon as possible next week. 

No problem Helen :default_smile: I'm no expert, just 30 odd years of having a GSD's but the vet will give you all the right advice for Pozzick. (our first GSD was bought as a puppy from a recognised German breeder way back in 1989 when I was stationed in Germany.  The German vet gave us lots of useful information on how to look after him and he lived until he was 14 years old!).

• Like 1

We thought that Pozzick looks like a fairly young dog. It will be interesting to find out what our vet's view on that is.

I've just recalled that Graham gave Pozzick a bowl of Seren's food when he first got aboard Water Rail and he wolfed it down. Mind you, he was probably very hungry! Someone (maybe on my 'Live Carried Away' thread) said they'd seen a simlar dog on a day boat possibly a couple of days earlier. If that's the case, Pozzick might have been there a while. What a horrible thought!

• Like 1

People dump their pets, how anyone can do that is beyond me, such a cruel and heartless thing to do but in Pozzick's case he got lucky and found you. If he was left on purpose they've done him a favour so don't dwell on those thoughts too much Helen, bless you, he's safe now thanks to you x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Congratulations I think pozzick is a very lucky dog he’s going to a forever home now. He’s so lucky to have you find him. 

I cant understand the mentality of people to dump a animal when we have so many good animal rescue centres in Norfolk

roy 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Think the vet does it - for an admin fee of course! :default_biggrin:

The Warden Service have said they'll give us all the details when we pick up the dog and that, once we've signed the adoption paperwork, we'll be able to contact the company ourselves to update the details. 

• Like 2