A Venture To The Dark Side

Speleologist

Anybody who knows me will be aware that I have always been a rag and stick type. So much so that these daysd that is how I earn my living. However I find myself back in the UK next month and despite a busy schedule I have a few days to relax. So I have taken the plunge and hired a boat without a sail! It seems like the right thing to do as I am looking for a quiet few days afloat singlehanded and the previous week in the UK is extremely busy. Besides which, sailing most days for work it's nice to have a break. And if I did want to sail, only Hunters boats have self tacking jibs suitable for singlehanding and their boats are already ashore.

So I have booked Moorhen from Eastwood Whelpton. For those that don't know her, she's a small, 3 berth motor cruiser from 1953. That makes her slightly older than me! The plan is a gentle cruise from Upton, departing on the morning of Monday 10th October with three full days afloat. No plans to go too far, but if any members are about on the northern side and fancy meeting up, let's see what we can do.

An account of the trip will appear once it's under way.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Speleologist said:

Anybody who knows me will be aware that I have always been a rag and stick type. So much so that these daysd that is how I earn my living. However I find myself back in the UK next month and despite a busy schedule I have a few days to relax. So I have taken the plunge and hired a boat without a sail! It seems like the right thing to do as I am looking for a quiet few days afloat singlehanded and the previous week in the UK is extremely busy. Besides which, sailing most days for work it's nice to have a break. And if I did want to sail, only Hunters boats have self tacking jibs suitable for singlehanding and their boats are already ashore.

So I have booked Moorhen from Eastwood Whelpton. For those that don't know her, she's a small, 3 berth motor cruiser from 1953. That makes her slightly older than me! The plan is a gentle cruise from Upton, departing on the morning of Monday 10th October with three full days afloat. No plans to go too far, but if any members are about on the northern side and fancy meeting up, let's see what we can do.

An account of the trip will appear once it's under way.

No shame in cruising in a stink pot when you normally go afloat with rag and sticks! I'm sure you will have a great time.

Like many others that I have met on the broads, I now have a broads motor cruiser to enjoy my retirement life. Having decided I may no longer be strong enough to be on deck sorting out a bit of a problem in a big blow at sea, I decided to make the change. I've sailed a few thousand sea miles and hundreds of races, but equally enjoy my Broads cruising.

One thing I don't understand is why the broads rag and stick brigade (with a few exceptions) evade eye contact with motor boaters as so many Broads Snotty Yachties do in their tiny boats. They should wave to any fellow marinor like we do at sea.

Have a great time and I look forward to you reports.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Broads01 said:

No shame in being a stinky! I'll be interested to see how you get on with Moorhen. Information and photos on the Eastwood Whelpton website are sparse but it looks to be an intriguing prospect.

Agree. We enjoy both sailies and stinkies and see no problem in switching between the two. I must admit we are fair weather sailors though. I do enjoy being on a boat with heating and a bit more space to move around during the colder months, especially if we stay on our home mooring when the weather isn't behaving nicely.