News On Pozzick and Seren

YnysMon

Slow but sure, you're doing great with him. The wee in the kitchen could just be stress, he's been through a lot and he's still learning that he has a lovely new safe home with you πŸ‘

Also it's possible he doesn't know yet how to ask you to let him out, bless him πŸ™‚

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

The only snag is that he's wee'd in the kitchen a few times. I wonder if he's been house trained?

Graham or Pozzick? :default_huh:

We were lucky with Tina, for a dog that had never been in a house and had no idea of even the most basic commands (in english or romanian) she has always asked to go outside right from the start, the only accidents were clearly an ill dog and had been up to hassle us in bed, it was us that didn't catch on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lulu said:

It also could be hes putting down his scent. Desmond did this for a couple of days. Has he been castrated?Β 

Err...don't know.

Β 

24 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

Thiers a bit of a teething problem at this time with a PozzickΒ  I am sure that will be sorted out when Pozzick let you when he wants to go out. How did Pozzick get at the Vet check-up this morning I believe?Β 

Β 

The first appointment we were able to get was this afternoon - so the 'has he been done' question is something for Graham to ask the vet this afternoon.

A few more photos. His new collar arrived today. Vet confirms he hasn't been 'done'. Vet also confirmed the microchip so Graham has been able to contact the company to get the details updated at a cost of Β£12. Cheaper than a new chip.Β 

IMG-20221005-WA0003.thumb.jpg.cb9a7d0c320001c12a1930db66845da2.jpg

IMG-20221005-WA0004.thumb.jpg.4137d02c3ad893c1815ff3a937ef052d.jpg

IMG-20221005-WA0005.thumb.jpg.1c508a7b29824ea4508a577324c8279d.jpg

IMG-20221005-WA0002.thumb.jpg.da95396c1d7228611a51a34084fe7924.jpg

So, one of Seren.Β 

IMG-20221005-WA0006.thumb.jpg.45ec63f7fe56b58f52249913531f1187.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

Eh? Β A quick visual check should provide the necessary answer, Helen!! Β πŸ˜‰πŸ˜

That vet is a braver man than me.

Hello Mr Wolf with the big teeth, now you dont know me but would you mind awfully if I had a rumage around err, underneath, to see if you have had the snip?

:default_rofl:

• Haha 3

My advice is don’t get him β€˜done’ as Malcolm so politely put it, unless there is an actual medical need. It rarely sorts out any behavioural issues, much against what people with badly behaved dogs think.Β 
Is Seren coping with the change ok? I know you said she’s barking a bit, just communicating in her way and if you don’t take too much notice (ie giving her attention for it) it should dwindle. I bet she’s a bit tired as it takes a lot of emotional energy. Give her a cwtch from me.Β 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, kpnut said:

My advice is don’t get him β€˜done’ as Malcolm so politely put it, unless there is an actual medical need. It rarely sorts out any behavioural issues, much against what people with badly behaved dogs think.Β 

It's true that it's unlikely to modify behaviour as you say but there are other benefits such as protection against some conditions/illnesses and although not relevent in this case, it can save unwanted litters. All in all I think I'd discuss it with the vet before deciding.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Sorry Kate. Β That C word makes me (and probably quite a few other blokes) tremble!! Β As for your comment about not resolving behavioural issues, I can vouch for that. Β Our son’s stupid mutt was prone to attempting to have his wicked way with anything on four legs . . . . . . . . . . . . male, female, non-binary, he wasn’t bothered and being 35kgs of muscle, he wasn’t to be stopped!! Β He was taken to have that cruel operation performed in an effort to temper his ardour but he’s still rampant, still chasing anything and if unsuccessful, someone’s leg will do.

He’s a lovely dog, gentle with our grandkids and loves people, just on occasion, just a little too much!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

That vet is a braver man than me.

Hello Mr Wolf with the big teeth, now you dont know me but would you mind awfully if I had a rumage around err, underneath, to see if you have had the snip?

:default_rofl:

Never know, Kev - he might have enjoyed it!! Β πŸ˜‰

Im not sure Helen will want Seren and Pozzick pups? There really wont be room in the car and boat!Β 

I was advised that there was a risk of cancer in the future and as Desmond was not going to be a daddy again, Β plus him being around my brother’s female whippet who is his aunt we took the decision to β€˜have him done’. He’s also stopped marking in other people’s houses which was incredibly embarrassing!Β 

• Like 2

My previous dog had a huge pair and was a complete wimp but got aggro from other full dogs, once done he had a much easier time and walked easier,Β  they made his back legs splay.

He should have been done before we picked him up but had signs of kennel cough so they preferred us to take him away from the other dogs and go back once the cough cleared.Β 

• Like 2

Seren was β€˜done’ as soon as she reached the advised minimum age, so we don’t need to worry about that.

Pozzick is currently lying on my feet, Graham having gone out to take Harry to band practise and has taken Seren with him. Pozzick was not a happy dog when Graham went out and cried for a while. I distracted him with some snacks and general fuss, including brushing him a bit, which he loves, and he has now settled. Seren wasn’t happy this afternoon either when Graham put Pozzick in the car for the visit to the vets. They’ll each have to learn that we can’t always take both of them with us.Β 

• Like 3

Graham certainly seems to be β€˜top of the tree’ with both of them.
Your report of them both crying is having the desired effect on me. It’s so difficult for them to understand when their person disappears off the face of the earth, even if only for a while. And poor Pozzick has had that happen more poignantly lately.Β 

2 hours ago, kpnut said:

unless there is an actual medical need.

I include unwanted litters of pups a β€˜medical need’. If I had a new female springer, either Finlay or the bitch would be β€˜done’, unless both had passed their health tests for whatever springers might be prone to, and I bred a litter between them first. Just too much hassle otherwise.
And if Finlay was a wanderer, he too would be. His nose is just twigged to pheasants though-perhaps a one track mind of a different sort!
Β 

• Like 2

Good news. This morning we both took the dogs out again before I started work. This time we put them both in the car for the first time, as we wanted to go somewhere that we thought it would be relatively safe to let Pozzick off his lead for the first time. We went to the parkland near the Pagoda at North Willen Lake.Β 

a. We were worried that sharing the car space would go horribly wrong.

b. Naturally, we weren't sure how Pozzick would react off the lead.

I'm delighted to say it all went better than expected. Seren was happy to get into the car with Pozzick (we put him in first). She is always manic (completely hyped-up) when we turn off toward the lake but Pozzick didn't get phased by it. He was really good off the lead and returned to Graham when called (lots of treats reinforcement). He chased after a ball with Seren, but wasn't that interested in the ball, it was more like he just wanted to play.

Cross fingers it continues to be positive. He did cry last night more than previous nights, but hopefully he'll get used to his cage before too long.Β 

I'm kicking myself that I left my mobile at home, so no photos.Β 

• Like 4
  • Love 2

Maybe it's the cage, not something I've ever considered using, we always let dogs have the run of downstairs at least and once we are happy with that upstairs is fair game as well, Tina rarely comes upstairs at night just stays on her bed or the sofa, Winston my last dog used to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed most nights.