News On Pozzick and Seren

YnysMon

3 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Maybe it's the cage, not something I've ever considered using, we always let dogs have the run of downstairs at least and once we are happy with that upstairs is fair game as well, Tina rarely comes upstairs at night just stays on her bed or the sofa, Winston my last dog used to sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed most nights.

It might be. Seren took to the cage really well, but as Pozzick doesn't seem used to it, maybe it will take him some time to adjust. If he's been in a crate in the Dog Pound it might have negative connotations I guess. 

Desmond has a double duvet and a huge fleece blanket which he digs to make a nest plus his beloved toy rabbit. I cover the cage with a sheet to make it cosy and dark but not over the door . The routine is he gets into bed then gets his late night bonio to eat in bed.  

0A66A2D2-0A29-4F03-88D2-B7A86F8C9133.jpeg

• Like 3

Finlay doesn’t have a crate in the house either, just his bed that he’s more than happy to stay in all night. The kitchen door to the rest of the house is shut and doesn’t scratch at the door. He doubt he even wanders round the kitchen. 
But Charlie, his older brother who is my daughter’s fog has a crate. They tried closing the door at night when he was a pup, I’ve never heard such a din!! Now he’s happy in his crate as a substitute fit a normal bed as it’s like a little den that he hides in, but won’t put up with the door being shut. He lets Finlay in there as well, separately or tightened if he’s feeling very kind, so I suspect when they both sleep in the kitchen at her house, they take turns with that and the armchair. 
I expect the extra crying is due to him getting settled in and attached to you. 

• Like 1

We aren't keen on the idea of just leaving him out of a crate at night as he has a tendency to rear up on his hind legs to scratch at the door and the door handle whenever Graham goes out of the room. He can easily open a door anyway. He's quickly catching on to the idea that we don't want him to do that, but I'm not sure what he would do at night. He has quite a long body, so if he rears up on his hind legs he's almost as tall as me!

I am also not a lover of the Crate.

Having said that I have heard from people that it has been used with great success. I guess some dogs see it as their "safe space" or even a den.

Have never had one for my previous dogs but the hooligan had one when we got him. We kept it until very recently when we returned from our long trip on the boat in September.

We did initially put him in the crate when we left him in the house alone but we soon realised he was OK left out of it. He did I think just once go in there of his own accord very early on when we got him.

We had decided to get rid of it when we came back from the boat and we have without any issues. On the boat he of course has the biggest cabin all to himself, just like our previous dogs.

Edit to add we do have to lock the back door as he has found out how to open it on his own as we found out at Oulton one night when someone knocked on our door as he was running around on the pontoon.🤔

We haven't (so far) put our dogs in a crate during the day. We try to ensure that someone is with them during the day. Seren if okay by herself, but even she doesn't get left alone for long. I guess the time will come when we'll have to leave our two together at home for a short time, but hopefully they'll be well settled together by then. At least during the winter we can take one or both of them in the car if we go out. That's not so easy during the summer unless there's a multistorey near where you are going. 

Sorry for all the typos in my last post. Had to send it in a hurry as I had just been called to be allowed out for half hour exercise. Perhaps I know what a dog needing a walk feels like!!!

Desmond’s den looks pretty much like Charlie’s, all dark and cosy. 
It’ll be interesting reading this back in a few months, Helen, to put all the progress you make into perspective. You’re doing a great job. Todays trip off lead sounds like it went really well.  

I’m so looking forward to seeing him out on the Broads sometime. 

• Like 2

A cage was essential when we had Raffles an English setter who lived up to his name,an elegant impeccably bred gentleman thief! Being long legged, little was inaccessible to him and he once consumed a  China elephant that he had helped himself to from the mantelpiece. A small corner of the ear was all that remained. He once had to have surgery to remove a foreign body from his stomach, I am sure he thought he was a goat.

Carole

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, addicted said:

Being long legged, little was inaccessible to him

That's partly what I'm worried about with Pozzick - he can reach loads of things that Seren can't, and she's never shown the least inclination to open doors.

We used Raffles's cage as part of "his"world putting his bed, toys etc inside so that  he went in and out of it all the time at his own volition. It was never an issue for him and he was never anxious about it. Without the cage he would probably have done himself a serious harm as he ate his way through the house!

Carole

• Like 1

1 hour ago, addicted said:

Without the cage he would probably have done himself a serious harm as he ate his way through the house

Finlay ate a pop dock when he was a pup. I was really worried it’d block him up and cost me a trip to the vet, but it came out a couple of days later, ‘ready bagged’ if you know what I mean. 

1 hour ago, kpnut said:

Finlay ate a pop dock when he was a pup. I was really worried it’d block him up and cost me a trip to the vet, but it came out a couple of days later, ‘ready bagged’ if you know what I mean. 

Sorry. What's a pop dock? :default_dunce:

(Oh, hang on I'm not supposed to say the sorry word am I.) :default_rofl:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Love his tail.   Is he getting used to his new name? 

Yes he is I think. He seems to be very quick picking up new things. The first day he didn’t seem to understand the command ‘sit’ at all, now he’s quite responsive. He also seems to have picked up on our disapproval of his trying to open doors. A few occasions of pulling him away with a firm ‘No’ seems to have improved things.

The tail is very thick. I brushed one side (port side) yesterday evening and ended up with handfuls of hair. Graham did the starboard side today. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Sorry. What's a pop dock? :default_dunce:

It’s me who should say sorry, if we are allowed!!!!

I meant pop sock, but realised too late to edit it. Lots of typos today, must be because I’m cooped up in this clinic and starting to climb the walls!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kpnut said:

It’s me who should say sorry, if we are allowed!!!!

I meant pop sock, but realised too late to edit it. Lots of typos today, must be because I’m cooped up in this clinic and starting to climb the walls!!

Hope you are getting on okay. 

It’s a completely new dimension in her life Helen. Doing what she’s bred for, hopefully doing it to a willing participant!

I love the photos. He looks like he’s been wearing ski goggles and has the tan marks to show where they were!

I thought there’d be lots of fur to brush. My friend has an Alaskan malamute with a double coat like his. Looks really cosy in the winter. 

• Love 2