Tri Icicle Race 23rd Oct 2023

TheQ

· 

It's warning time again, it's coming up to the Snowflake Sailing club Tri- Icycle race.. 23rd of October on the Northern rivers.

Entries are still available here.. https://www.sfsc.co.uk/pages/tri-icicle/

30 to 50 Dinghies, Halfdeckers and Broads sailing cruisers should Start At Horning Sailing club in groups every 5 minutes , proceeding to a buoy between Acle and Upton Dyke, another buoy Between Womack Dyke and Potter Heigham, then back to the club. the race takes about 6 hours.

The start time may be from 10:00 at the club or as late as 11:00 if the boats have to be towed down to the water works due to light winds.

If the wind is light the buoys may be moved closer to Thurne mouth , and the start / finish moved further down river the water works is often used..

Viewing points, the pubs in Horning, the end of the Lion Dyke in Thurne, on the river anywhere you can find a mooring St Benets straight is an obvious place..

Advice on Avoiding the fleet..

Keep right close to the bank, unless there are NO boats tacking across the river, if they are all going down one side then it's safe to go across to the other side.

If you are overtaking Tacking boats always pass behind one that has just left the right hand bank, don't worry if the next one is heading towards your side, they don't want to break their boat by hitting you.

If boats are tacking towards you, Keep right, slow down, let them tack around you, please don't weave about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be around that area at that time. We are going to the boat next Sunday for a couple of weeks, so look forward to seeing the event. I have such fond memories of the 3 Rivers Race in my Fireball, I think it was 1970 or close to that. Such incredible fun, I remember sailing across Hickling Broad on a broad reach with Spinnaker up and crew out on the wire at 2am, aiming towards an orange flashing light on a floating dustbin to deposit our card to prove our arrival there.

Happy Daze!