Westward 38 For Sale.

One of my favourite inland boats, in this, the saloon style. I borrowed one on the RGO. Great accommodation, proper forward island bed. Very safe rear well.

Could be a bit high for boarding for the less agile. I think it could make someone a really nice boat.

20221011_081942.thumb.jpg.80aa2cc57426fe4d6f5294dadc1bcba1.jpg20221011_082012.thumb.jpg.309a055120f7479b71dd8dfdb2a4e3b9.jpg

• Like 2

I agree with Chris B's appraisal.

They were built by John Williams (who used to own Jack Powles and built the Star Supreme class)  and we had a lot of them on hire in France.  They handle very well and there is a large sunroof over the saloon which allows you to stand up when coming in to a mooring.

Beware that they tend to leak badly around the windows.

• Like 3

I've always quite liked the Westward 38. Sadly I never got to hire one.

And yes, brokers frequently confuse Westward (built on the Ellough Industrial Estate) with Westwood (built in Northern Ireland). I've even seen a well-known Norfolk broker do it.

The matter is probably confused by the fact that the Westwood hulls were moulded by Aquafibre, then the people who were working out of part of the old Aquafibre site and finally Richardsons when they were building in-house. Quite a Norfolk connection with them.

Most of the Westwood  boats were built in Doncaster using the Aquafibre hulls. It's only in the last 10 years production was set up in Northern Ireland when i belive someone bought the name as the guys at Doncaster were stopping production mainly as they couldn't get some of the moulds any more and it wasn't a good time to sell boats around 2010, they are very well built boats. 

John 

• Like 1