Dream Cruise

Well, stick me in a time machine and head back to the 1950s, any bunk on a participant in the Pavillon d’Or, a flotilla of craft from GB, Holland, Belgium, France, Finland, Germany and Ireland from 22ft to 100ft. Photo from the pages of The Yachting World Annual 1956 in Rotterdam, advance apology for poor quality, old iPad! 30 British yachts represented eleven clubs.

F43F5676-3D0E-4FAE-81DA-612CB557CBAA.thumb.jpeg.1a04d058ada1d230dbb6f53750865011.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Greece for me as well.

We were planning on a Greek sailing flotilla holiday but Covid got in the way. I’m sure we will he there one day.

I can recommend “Sailing Holidays Ltd” when you finally get round to it, a real family run company.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Davydine said:

I can recommend “Sailing Holidays Ltd” when you finally get round to it, a real family run company.

We stayed in the little resort of Nydri on the island of Lefkada some years ago. There was a big sunsail base there. I use to love sitting there watching the yachts set off on the holidays. An absolutely stunning location to start your holiday. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andyg said:

We stayed in the little resort of Nydri on the island of Lefkada some years ago. There was a big sunsail base there. I use to love sitting there watching the yachts set off on the holidays. An absolutely stunning location to start your holiday. 

This next trip will be our 4th and we will be sailing from Gouvia on Corfu, the flotilla lead crew decide where we are going but usually there will be 3 or 4 hours easy sailing each day between Corfu, Paxos and the Greek mainland. It's lovely and very well organised.

• Like 1

As a sailor and mountaineer, my ultimate trip would be to follow in the footsteps of some of my great heroes, particularly Shackleton and Tilman. My son and I have been discussing the possibility of sailing to Jan Mayen Island and greenland in 2024, but my ultimate trip, if money were no object would be to follow in Shckleton's footsteps in the Antarctic.

My ideal boat would be a Garcia Exploration 60, and to sail in it to Elephant Island, then to South Georgia. I would love to land on the south side and cross the mountains to Grytviken whilst others on the crew took the boat round and then sail back via the Falkland Islands.

However, if the money doesn't land soon I'll be too old and feeble.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Speleologist said:

As a sailor and mountaineer

And presumably a caver?
I was until prolapsed discs in my back decided me not to go down again in case I put the rescue services in a sticky situation trying to get me out. 
And your dream trip sounds epic!!!

18 hours ago, kpnut said:

And presumably a caver?

Very much so. For many years caving was my primary outdoor activity. These days I am a leader for adventure caving trips into Lower St Michael's Cave in Gibraltar. I'm also hoping over the next year or two to do a bit of cave exploration in Andalucia and Morocco.

• Love 1