Haven't Done One Of These For A While

Meantime

8 hours ago, Tobster said:

Oulton Broad is in Suffolk

Yes but Oulton Broad is a Norfolk Broad that happens to be in Suffolk. I'm sure there must be a European Directive on this. You can have Cheddar chees, Melton Mowbray pork pies and in Lowestoft there's probably a Pecking duck, but Broads are Norfolk. Must be, otherwise we in Leicestershire would have pinched them; we've had Richard lll and Space so if the Broads aren't nailed down we'll have them too!  :default_trophy:

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Yes but Oulton Broad is a Norfolk Broad that happens to be in Suffolk. I'm sure there must be a European Directive on this. You can have Cheddar chees, Melton Mowbray pork pies and in Lowestoft there's probably a Pecking duck, but Broads are Norfolk. Must be, otherwise we in Leicestershire would have pinched them; we've had Richard lll and Space so if the Broads aren't nailed down we'll have them too!  :default_trophy:

No, Oulton Broad, Beccles & Somerleyton are all in Suffolk & are connected to the Norfolk Broads.

all that said I still think the Broads should be called the Norfolk Broads & not as suggested in some corners to re-name the  waterways to Norfolk & Suffolk Broads.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Sorry everyone, it seems my sense of humour is misplaced. I'll stay away.

Not at all. I found it amusing. We should remember that The Thin White Duke himself referred to them as The Norfolk Broads. A point if anyone knows who I'm referring to!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meantime said:

We should remember that The Thin White Duke himself referred to them as The Norfolk Broads.

For that matter so did Cliff Richard, who was a great lover of the Broads and had his own cruiser built for him in Thorpe.

I think the history of this unique wetland basin goes back a lot further than pop stars of the 60s.

And does it matter? I think we all know what we are talking about, don't we?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

The Thin White Duke did refer to The Norfolk Broads but wasnt it under the aka of Ziggy Stardust.

I guess. It was released as a single during his Ziggy Stardust era, but the origins of the song date back to 1968. He was asked to write a song for Claude Francois and after the lyrics were rejected Paul Anka rewrote it into Frank Sinatra's My Way. Bowie annoyed at the success of My Way, used it a s a template and wrote Life on Mars as a parody of My Way.

The Thin White Duke era was more like 1975 onwards.

Now there's thread drift!

• Like 1