Canopy Care

Jim

Is anyone using/aware of a product to protect canopies? Ideally, what I'm looking for is something that will help stop the build up of "green stuff" which always seems to be attracted to the stitching and I'm sure helps it to rot in time.

I don't know if you use any proofing on your canopy? We use fabsil (put a load of it on our brand new canopy earlier this year) and whilst it doesn't prevent algae etc, as it repels water, it doesn't seem to stay wet for so long which I think may help reduce the problem.

We have never used anything on the canopy yet and only used the "enviromentally friendly boatwash" to clean it down.

I think we will give Fabsil a try and see how it goes. Thanks Mark for the pointer :wave

• 1 month later...

Just to revive this one, our canopy manufacturer also recommended Fabsil as a good protector but also mentioned using a polish (which must contain beeswax) on the stitching to help fend off the algae.

Fabsil will also help but I've just been informed there are over 700 odd types of "green stuff" and there isn't any product that can deal with them all.

cheers for the idea Mark :wave

High powered spray nozzles tend to work well!

I lay mine flat on my gravel driveway and use a damn great brush, and absolutely saturate it with two coats, (in the summer so they soak in quickly).

It gets through a gallon of the stuff very quickly, but it can be bought very cheaply in those quantities online.

The cover then repels water completely between the biennial dousings. :)

edit - doh.. re-reading your reply, I can now see you may have meant the spray for blasting the green cr*p off...

Our canopy stays in the Lazerette from November to when the weather picks up (Feb/March) and it up most of the winter except when we go out in the ship when it is taken down. By the time it is time to put it away in the spring it normally has algal growth.

I like others lay it out and scrub with boat wash and a soft brush, let it dry and store it away. When I come to put it up in November time I use copius Fabsil which seems to work well. As far as stoping algal growth I was told by a yottie in our marina that he paints on a mould inhibitor first, never tried it so can't comment if it works or not.

Hi,

We found Polycell Mould Killer 3 in 1 very effective for dealing with mould stains on canvas. I think there is some extra chemical in the formula that makes it better than others on the market. When we first had Tamara some canvas was very stained, we sprayed it prior to the winter lay up and in the spring the canvas was back to white. If you do use it it might be worth checking it will not damage the colour of the canopy.

Ian (boatless for 8 days :cry )