If The World Was A Bit More Strictly.

Chelsea14Ian

Gracie  what's  wrong with the 👞 shoes and the dresses?

I've  watched strictly  all that time.Often when I've not been well unfortunately. Over the years at this time of year I've  had broken bones,Pneumonia,operations etc.And strictly  cheers me up.So it's a 10  from me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Really didn't care for last night's programme. The dances didn't look like dances set to such bizarre music. Kudos to Dave Arch and the band for managing to play those tv theme tunes.

Incidentally ... I think the singers are very much underrated and never get enough recognition. Tommy Blaize is amazing. I've got tickets to see him next March at the Norwich Playhouse in a concert with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra performing the music of Ray Charles. Very much looking forward to that.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Kudos to Dave Arch and the band for managing to play those tv theme tunes.

Especially the Doctor Who music, which was electronically created many years ago (late 50s?) by the BBC Radiophonics Workshop, on what later became marketed as the Moog Synthesiser.

I don't think I have ever heard that played "live" before.

My enjoyment of the programme has always been a bit like the "curate's egg" but there is no doubt that the anchor for the whole show is the music of Dave Arch and his band and singers. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Marking seems a little generous this year. 

I would agree with that completely. Some of the marks do seem too high when you watch some of the judges giving the same score to so many couples. Only Craig really does seem to have some consistency and differential. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

I hate to say this,but Tony Adams is getting  better. However if Ron Chooper Harris if was on Strictly  he would smash it.

Pah, I can resist anything but temptation. Strictly is not for me, each to their own though. As for Harris, the Thurnscoe Express ( aka Billy Whitehurst) would have him for breakfast, after four Weetabix! :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

Harry Redknapp has heard of him, ' Mike Tyson wouldn't last two rounds with him',  'Jamie, don't go anywhere near that nutcase', Alan Hansen, 'he was crazy', Alan Shearer, ' he was evil' and Vinnie Jones, 'the hardest footballer ever'.  When at Oxford he'd had a couple of bare knuckle fights for cash and when he turned up for training, with nine stitches in his face, he told the staff he'd had a car crash. In the next match he clashed with Bruce Grobbelaar and the stitches burst open with blood everywhere. Oxford's physio told Billy he'd have to come off, his reply was 'you try and take me off and I'll ******* kill you!.  We saw him sinking pints in a local pub at 1pm on a Saturday matchday, ' alright Billy, not playing today?' Nope, I'm on the team sheet!' Different days. :default_cool:

On 22/10/2022 at 22:23, Chelsea14Ian said:

Gracie  what's  wrong with the 👞 shoes and the dresses?

I've  watched strictly  all that time.Often when I've not been well unfortunately. Over the years at this time of year I've  had broken bones,Pneumonia,operations etc.And strictly  cheers me up.So it's a 10  from me.

Yes I've  had some bad luck over the years.It doesn't get me down.Yes it can knock you back.Cancer has its lighter moments. Meeting others on the same journey,you tend to swap stories,jokes etc.The Cancer care nurses  are great.I've had the support from a whole  range of family friends , Doctors  and nurses .

May seem strange  to say,but Cancer shouldn't get you down.And Strictly helps.

• Like 1

Can someone confirm whether Dave Arch still has the full band behind him or is it now just him, with keyboard substituting for all the instruments and singers?

I’ve only watched it once this year, last week,( not yesterday) and he was at the keyboard and they praised him but not the orchestra. 
Strictly was about the only BBC show still employing live musicians, so I’m really hoping I’m wrong in thinking they’ve cut them out now. 
My son plays with some of the dance touring shows that have come off the back of Strictly and it’s always great to see/hear the live band on stage. It ‘makes’ the show to be honest. 

As regards the singers. The male singers are usually great, I sometimes think the female singers are out of tune. There was a male singer, Lance Ellington? who was always extremely good. Is he still there?

And yes, I think Craig is the most consistent judge. At least he distinguishes between good technique and faults so as not to score too highly, leaving no room to manoeuvre later on. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, kpnut said:

Can someone confirm whether Dave Arch still has the full band behind him or is it now just him, with keyboard substituting for all the instruments and singers?

I’ve only watched it once this year, last week,( not yesterday) and he was at the keyboard and they praised him but not the orchestra. 
Strictly was about the only BBC show still employing live musicians, so I’m really hoping I’m wrong in thinking they’ve cut them out now. 
My son plays with some of the dance touring shows that have come off the back of Strictly and it’s always great to see/hear the live band on stage. It ‘makes’ the show to be honest. 

As regards the singers. The male singers are usually great, I sometimes think the female singers are out of tune. There was a male singer, Lance Ellington? who was always extremely good. Is he still there?

And yes, I think Craig is the most consistent judge. At least he distinguishes between good technique and faults so as not to score too highly, leaving no room to manoeuvre later on. 

Thats once more than me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Thats once more than me.

I can claim never to have watched it, but then I hardly ever watch TV. For the last 5 years I was in the UK I didn't own one and I only have one now because I bought it to go into a house I own which has a tenant and he didn't want it. Still I do occasionally watch it. It's good for Youtube music videos, particularly when favourite bands are streaming live and it's good for watching Gibraltar international football matches. I normally have no interest in football, but in a small place like Gibraltar I know some of the players and the commentator is a good mate (and also a sailor).

I thought that Saturday's programme was an odd one. Trying to theme the dances  to fit in with the BBC's 100th anniversary was a bit like fitting round pegs into square holes with some of them being performed to highly inappropriate music. I have a bee in my bonnet at the best of times with dances like the Argentine tango and paso doble being accompanied by "I fought the law and the law won" or similar nonsense - but Saturday's show took the biscuit in this respect. 

On the question of judges. I agree that Craig should be kept and Anton also provides informed feedback. However, I struggle to see what the 2 females contribute beyond noise. 

• Like 3

I have only waqtched one tv program in the past 3 years, and that was the queens funeral, I generally found that most of the TV content was absolute rubbish, so to save energy, the TV isnt turned on nowadays. I have dvd's, and I watch youtube, when I am not busy doind something else.

for me strictly would be the height of boredom (well for me most tv programs are to be honest)

22 hours ago, kpnut said:

There was a male singer, Lance Ellington? who was always extremely good. Is he still there?

I think Lance left a few years ago now. 

22 hours ago, kpnut said:

I think they’re all still there but they don’t introduce / thank the musicians after the first number like they used to. And the camera angle they use when they do get round to it doesn’t seem to give a good view. But it’s nice to see the screens are gone that we’re separating some of them. 

• Thanks 1