One Year On.

Chelsea14Ian

Today marks our first year living in Martham. We've been busy.Both Gardens front and back have been done.Lots of hard work over many months. Very soon all the windows will be replaced. I've decorated  the hallway.The kitchen  replaced and repainted.the porch has been lined in wood.I've painted in white and soon stain and vanish.We've had a few bumps along the way.My Cancer and Marina's op on her wrist and problems  with Arthritis. Oh and a new boat.

Today I'm thanks to Alan touring St George's English  Whisky. It was a long held dream of ours to move to Norfolk. It didn't  disappoint. We love it here.

A few photos. 

20211108_102922.jpg

IMG_20211108_121851_853.jpg

20220212_162529.jpg

20220402_135603.jpg

IMG_20220402_205238_602.jpg

20220428_112329.jpg

IMG_20220505_183714_488.jpg

20220615_101328.jpg

20220703_095628.jpg

20220710_123036.jpg

20220828_095746.jpg

20221012_075122.jpg

20221012_075110.jpg

20221020_091519.jpg

20221020_091507.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Cant believe its been a year already Ian. So very envious. Our attempt at moving to Norfolk this year failed miserably after the chain collapsed and has cost us too much in fees to carry on for the time-being, but one day!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Im thinking we may try again in the spring. We are still a bit exhausted by it all at the moment.  It took 5 months before the chain fell apart and peoples mortgage offers ran out.  I believe in fate and now feel maybe the house wasnt the right one for us after all and there was a reason why it all went wrong. Just wish it hadnt been such an expensive exercise! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Lulu said:

Im thinking we may try again in the spring. We are still a bit exhausted by it all at the moment.  It took 5 months before the chain fell apart and peoples mortgage offers ran out.  I believe in fate and now feel maybe the house wasnt the right one for us after all and there was a reason why it all went wrong. Just wish it hadnt been such an expensive exercise! 

Everything happens for a reason Sam (in my very humble opinion).  We both originally wanted to be nearer The Broads, but in reality where we are is a brilliant compromise.    We can be at the boat in forty minutes or so, so it still feels like a journey to get there, it’s two hours for the wife to get to work one day a week, so do-able until the time is right for her to retire and about an hour and forty five minutes to get to our families in Milton Keynes and Northampton.

I have no regrets, other than I wish we’d been in a position to move here earlier.  You’ll get there - some things are worth waiting for (but be prepared to swap a kidney for dental treatment!).

• Like 3

I am into my 16th year here in North Norfolk. The first ten years were wonderful and though The Broads were never like putting to sea for me we both enjoyed our mostly day boating.

Soon I will have been widowed for 6 years and although it has brought many challenges (when you have been together for 50 years you never get over the loss) I would not return to Buckinghamshire, I still enjoy Norfolk.

However, I am finding my land a little too large these days as we were mid 50s when we retired and Judith was a "Gardener" luckily at present I can afford help with it as downsizing and living in close proximity to others, something I have not done for 38 years frightens me.

• Sad 6

It's amazing how you can used to that providing you have user friendly "close proximity" ocupants! We've been lucky with ours here but  when we first retired we  lived in Soham for a short while and had the neighbours from hell  -   2 lots of them! One lot next door and one lot opposite. We had to get help from the police with the latter.

Carole

• Sad 2

You are meant to be taking it easy and not spending my inheritance..Geez see I even send you to a whiskey shop to get drunk all the time.

Glad you enjoying your retirement, but slow down!

We are coming up to the end of our second year in Suffolk and the first in our own house.. Time flies!

• Haha 3

On 26/10/2022 at 16:51, Chelsea14Ian said:

Yes tasted three.A standard one,a 11 year old and a 15 year old.We didn't  have to spit out.Also I brought  a whisky  and a liquor. Barrels of whisky  cost about £3000.Need to be stored elsewhere. 

If you invest in one. I'm sure Ole Marge and me could find room for it somewhere. :default_norty:

Kindest Regards and enjoy Martham Marge and Parge

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

You are meant to be taking it easy and not spending my inheritance..Geez see I even send you to a whiskey shop to get drunk all the time.

Glad you enjoying your retirement, but slow down!

We are coming up to the end of our second year in Suffolk and the first in our own house.. Time flies!

Could you send me to a wine shop :default_biggrin:

Congrats to you and Dave on your second year x

• Love 1

We have friends who emigrated to Cape Town and we used to go out to spend 6 weeks or so with them in  late January/early February.  They live right in the middle of the wine making  region not far from Stellenbosch and a regular trip was to go for a tour round the nearby vinyards of which there was loads. There'd  be copious wine sampling followed by a delicious lunch. The cost was ridulously cheap, as was everything in South Africa at that time.There wasn't just vinyards there was also distilleries making the most delicious brandy, cognac etc. Most of these establishments were family owned and run and had been in existence for several generations over 100s of years.

Carole

• Like 2