Winter Cruising.

Andrewcook

I won't be back on board for at least 2, maybe 3 weeks but will be on board over most of Christmas and through the winter.  Looking forward to it!!

Just had some covers fitted which appear to block almost all of the draughts from the sliding canopy, plus they give some privacy if I'm moving between the shower and main bedroom!!  When I'm back I've a 7-day timer / controller for the Eberspacher to fit plus some lagging for the ducting.  The original controller is just on, or off which is not very useful!  The Webasto already has a 7-day timer.

Throw in a 15 tog duvet and a hot water bottle I'm ready to go!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

With regard to that migration from shower to bedroom "au natural" Your concern is not unknown to the seasoned. boater. Fear not, in mid winter the peeping Tom is rare. Or indeed the peeping Tomess.

I strongly advise that you perfect the leopard crawl from aft to forward, or forward to aft depending on the configuration of your boat. You should not be seen.

However not to be tempted with the canopy down.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I can’t persuade all family to come on the boat for Christmas, boat probably a big small for that. So I suggested a cottage with mooring, move the boat round to it and do day trips. We’ll do it, but not this year as too short notice. 
last year I was out over new year, had Womack to myself on New Year’s Eve, and fleet dyke to myself the next night. Wonderful. Resets the batteries for another year. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

With regard to that migration from shower to bedroom "au natural" Your concern is not unknown to the seasoned. boater. Fear not, in mid winter the peeping Tom is rare. Or indeed the peeping Tomess.

I strongly advise that you perfect the leopard crawl from aft to forward, or forward to aft depending on the configuration of your boat. You should not be seen.

However not to be tempted with the canopy down.  

Tis because in the midst of winter the peeping Tom has very little to look at.:default_smile:.

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Haha 9

Haven't done Christmas, but 2009 we had a week on Moonlight Shadow commencing on Boxing Day. Weather was kind to us - lovely sunny days, cold crisp nights. Saw the new year in in the Waveney at Oulton Broad, a very enjoyable evening. Another evening was spent in the Woods End, just a few couples, the landlord and an open fire. Walking down the lane back to our mooring on the green, the beams from our torches were filled with the reflections of ice crystals in the air - magical. But the highlight of our week was when my friend spotted a Bittern walking through the reeds at the edge of the Yare near Rockland Broad. Very quiet on the rivers; three or four days we didn't see another boat moving.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, NeilB said:

When I'm back I've a 7-day timer / controller for the Eberspacher to fit plus some lagging for the ducting.

What lagging can be put round the eberspacher ducting? Surely not just normal ‘grey pipe’, I’ve never seen it with a large enough diameter 

Mine has something wrapped round it, sort of stuck to it. Is that insulation? Or can I do more?

55 minutes ago, kpnut said:

What lagging can be put round the eberspacher ducting? Surely not just normal ‘grey pipe’, I’ve never seen it with a large enough diameter 

Mine has something wrapped round it, sort of stuck to it. Is that insulation? Or can I do more?

You can go from expensive options like this - https://www.melloronline.co.uk/Heater_Installation_Accessories_/5097/Eberspacher_heater_MaxiTherm_ducting_Insulation_75mm_-_80mm_ducting.html

or something a bit cheaper like - https://www.screwfix.com/p/thermawrap-spiral-pipe-insulation-52-x-4mm-x-7-5m/62194?kpid=62194&ds_kid=92700055281954514&ds_rl=1249404&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_6ItaSG-wIVVofVCh3vzwSNEAQYASABEgLbk_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll be using a combination as it can make a big difference on a long run, mine goes from the back of the boat to the forward bulkhead so loses a lot of heat.

Winter cruising for Katie and I has always been magical , the wildlife and  scenery so different  , the Norfolk sunrises and sunsets on a crisp morning and evening are an absolute bliss to behold.

Abundant moorings , even at the most sought after spots , welcoming log fires ablaze at riverside inns , if there ever was a winter wonderland then it’s The Broads .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, YnysMon said:

This thread is making me look forward to our next trip even more! Roll on 30th December. Yes, I know I’m wishing away Christmas…can’t help it! 

I’ll bet there’s a few of us who’d like to wish away Christmas.  It’d save me a fortune and I’d not have to put up with all those adverts on TV reminding me that it’s on 25th December (again!)! :default_hiding:

Now, I wonder if there’ll be a sale at DFS, SCS, Next and the like , all starting on Boxing Day!  :default_coat:

See, I told you that carrying a soapbox around all day was a bloody nuisance!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I’ll bet there’s a few of us who’d like to wish away Christmas.  It’d save me a fortune and I’d not have to put up with all those adverts on TV reminding me that it’s on 25th December (again!)! :default_hiding:

Now, I wonder if there’ll be a sale at DFS, SCS, Next and the like , all starting on Boxing Day!  :default_coat:

See, I told you that carrying a soapbox around all day was a bloody nuisance!! 

I love Christmas , but at Christmas not in October.   Very has been advertising for weeks now.   You dont see adverts for weeks on end for Diwali so why Christmas.     Yes I know bar humbug. 

• Like 6

I love Christmas and all the adverts and kerfuffle that comes with it but agree it's a tad early at the moment although I have started the shopping for it. The children are older now so the whole believing in Santa thingy is coming to an end sadly, it's horrible, I want them to believe until they're at least 21 :default_biggrin:

Going back to winter cruising, CambridgeCabbys post just about sums it up for me, lovely post x

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gracie said:

I love Christmas and all the adverts and kerfuffle that comes with it but agree it's a tad early at the moment although I have started the shopping for it. The children are older now so the whole believing in Santa thingy is coming to an end sadly, it's horrible, I want them to believe until they're at least 21 :default_biggrin:

Going back to winter cruising, CambridgeCabbys post just about sums it up for me, lovely post x

Come on Grace I am 77 and still believe in Father Christmas.     Mind you that Ferrari I keep asking for never materialises.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Come on Grace I am 77 and still believe in Father Christmas.     Mind you that Ferrari I keep asking for never materialises.

Hardly surprising really!  How do you think he’d get it down the chimney and stuff it into the stocking, hung on the fireplace?? :default_eusa_dance:  Give the poor bloke a break!!:default_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

Now I never said I didn't believe although I'm having serious doubts, I never get the Jimmy Choos or Louboutin's which clearly will fit down a chimney where as a ruddy Ferrari won't :default_biggrin: x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

Now I never said I didn't believe although I'm having serious doubts, I never get the Jimmy Choos or Louboutin's which clearly will fit down a chimney where as a ruddy Ferrari won't :default_biggrin: x

Nothing wrong with parking it outside with a huge bow and a sprig of Holly. 

:default_icon_bowdown:

• Haha 2

Never done a Christmas afloat but I live in hope ('Hope' must be a great place to live btw)

Have done a New Year afloat, did a night nav from the wetshed to Acle bridge in on New Years Eve, arrived in proper dark and during a snow storm, getting alongside and the mooring lines set was pure joy and glee - not

Then we got iced in at Malthouse Broad morning of Jan 02nd, fortunately a H.W's hire boat did the ice breaking thing so we followed their route out to the main river.

Came proper unstuck a few days later however attempting to get back to the wetshed as from Broads edge it was frozen solid.  Took us hours and hours with maximum physical effort from the deck crew, me on the helm with concentration levels to the max to get her back into wetshed without inflicting damage to her hull.  An experience I vowed to never repeat and avoid at all costs in the future and have largely succeeded 

For quite a few years now though we have had mild winters on the rivers and not seen any real ice problems for what seems ages

I have a weekend planned afloat later in November and am confident the rivers will be ice free.  There maybe an opportunity for a few days onboard late December too, we will see

Griff

BA NBN 007.jpg

BA NBN 008.jpg

BA NBN 009.jpg

BA NBN 010.jpg

BA NBN 011.jpg

BA NBN 023.JPG

BA 133 - Malthouse Broad.jpg

BA 150 - Ice on the Ant.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1