White Emblem Bourne 35

Hello all and thank you for adding me. 
I have just bought an Ernest Collins Bourne 35 with my Dad and will be restoring it over the next period of time. I think it was built in 1968 and sold to a private buyer in 1985-1987. After that it was deregistered in 1991. 
The boats of the Norfolk Broads website sadly has no information about her or the White Emblem boats. 
Could anyone offer any suggestions as to how I could find out some information or photos?

many thanks in advance. 

1042458081_whiteemblem.thumb.jpeg.82293e1dbfc6b298b50672cf0f1b8fda.jpeg

This is from Blakes catalogue of 1968 and as there is a photo, the boat would have already been on hire before then.  As there are 4 advertised in the class, they probably started building around 1966.

I remember them as lovely boats, among the best built on the Broads, in those days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We hired White Emblem 4. Registration No D137 from Ernest Collins Wroxham from 1970 to 1975 for  4 weeks per year. 2 weeks in April and 2 weeks in September.There were 4 White Emblems in the fleet. Beautiful boat in those days. Ernest Collins built their own boats and had their yard opposite to where Brinkcraft are now. They were eventually taken over by Jack Powels. The last boat they built was Astral Emblem 1.

• Like 2

Sorry, you are correct the registration number was D135 not D137. If you look at the picture Vaughan has posted above you will see the name is on the superstructure on the varnish to the left of the cockpit door. This was so for No’s 1,2 and 3 but on number 4 it was in the same place but but within a white panel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

Sorry, you are correct the registration number was D135 not D137. If you look at the picture Vaughan has posted above you will see the name is on the superstructure on the varnish to the left of the cockpit door. This was so for No’s 1,2 and 3 but on number 4 it was in the same place but but within a white panel.

That’s great Graham. Thank you. Do you have any photos? I want to get it back as original as possible if I can. 

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

1042458081_whiteemblem.thumb.jpeg.82293e1dbfc6b298b50672cf0f1b8fda.jpeg

This is from Blakes catalogue of 1968 and as there is a photo, the boat would have already been on hire before then.  As there are 4 advertised in the class, they probably started building around 1966.

I remember them as lovely boats, among the best built on the Broads, in those days.

Thank you for this. The photo shows white emblem 3 so I guess it could be around that time 1968. The internal layout is the same so promising. I’m super pumped about getting it back up and running!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I see the most difficult part of the rubbing strake - around the stem - is missing, and will need a template made in order to laminate a new one.  As it is a Bourne hull, it is worth asking around the boatyards to see if anyone still has one, that you can borrow.

It’s all good. I’m a boatbuilder here at Upton. It won’t be too difficult to make one up. It all needs replacing anyway. The last owner used skirting board by the look of it! 😂

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Hi Tom

Unfortunately the former i made for Andy's  Bourne 35  bow section  has been  binned,  i have repaired many a  Bourne bow section over the years and they all differ slightly,

A heads up regarding the keel on a Bourne 35!

The keel its self is only constructed from the same thickness fiberglass as the hull, and is very prone to splitting on the  bottom corners if not supported evenly along its length.

Over the years i have had the pleasure of repairing at least six keels on Bourne's  because of damage caused by uneven  supporting blocks.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

Robin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robin said:

The keel its self is only constructed from the same thickness fiberglass as the hull, and is very prone to splitting on the  bottom corners if not supported evenly along its length.

Same goes for an Alphacraft, and more so!  Spread the load on the keel as much as possible. It's got nothing inside it!

4 hours ago, Robin said:

Hi Tom

Unfortunately the former i made for Andy's  Bourne 35  bow section  has been  binned,  i have repaired many a  Bourne bow section over the years and they all differ slightly,

A heads up regarding the keel on a Bourne 35!

Over the years i have had the pleasure of repairing at least six keels on Bourne's  because of damage caused by uneven  supporting blocks.

I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress.

Robin

Thanks Robin for the heads up. I’ll make sure it’s supported properly in the morning. I must say it look pled in very good order once I pumped about a tonne of water out of the bilge.