What Can I Plug In?

Broads01

5 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

We only use the inverter and heater when on shore power , not on the inverter 

Yeah I assumed that - Was just thinking in terms of the max wattage on shore power that it must have been a low wattage kettle. Sounds ideal actually. 5 minutes is probably better than a kettle on the hob and a lot less hassle.

When I was in syndicate, we would have owners using the battery charger, immersion and some oil rads. You can imagine that would exceed the 3680W pretty easily. :default_icon_rolleyes: Breakers often don't trip until there is some pretty serious overcurrent going on.

I remember inspecting the shore power lead one winter - The ends of the cable inside the plugs were black and the insulation had melted. Needless to say we chucked it away.

• Like 1

I learned a neat heating solution today, on occasions lidls and Aldi sell heated car seat covers, these run at 12V and output around 50-60W of heat, now you dont just need to use these on car seats, you could for instance put one on the bed and warm your back and rear end. they consume about 5-6A, so if you used one for 10 hours overnight it would use 50-60Ah of battery power, a lot less than a small fan heater, as you are only heating yourself that is in contact with it, not the entire boat (I have also found that this will happily run off my portable solar power bank). I sincerely doubt you would need to run it for that length of time as it does get nice and warm. certainly an option I will be testing next year when aboard.

• Like 2