Disposable Meat Foil Trays

Andrewcook

Agree…these disposable trays are being sold as an easy option at Christmas to save washing up. You can only recycle them if you wash them. Nigella has a lot to answer for. My recollection is that she was the first TV cook to recommend them as a way to cut down on ‘work’ for Christmas. 

58 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

Agree…these disposable trays are being sold as an easy option at Christmas to save washing up. You can only recycle them if you wash them. Nigella has a lot to answer for. My recollection is that she was the first TV cook to recommend them as a way to cut down on ‘work’ for Christmas. 

Do you know what's even worse? The following is taken from the Tesco website, for the roasting tin foil trays.

I kid you not, it says

"Preparation and Usage

Before first use remove packaging and hand wash tray in warm soapy water. When using for roasting please support bottom of the tray and wear oven mitts or equivalent before taking it out of the oven for your own safety."

OK the last part is common sense, but you are supposed to wash the trays before use, and then if you want to recycle them, wash them again, and you pay £1 for the privilege of creating more recycling. No wonder the world is in such a mess!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had the option to buy some for my air fryer, instead I bought 3x 1 litre pyrex bowls, £4.50 each, its a no brainer a 1 litre glass, reusable, and recycleable bowl for £4.50 or a £1 foil tray, if i use the bowl five times its paid for itself over a foil dish, and it just goes in the dishwasher to clean it.

• Like 4

The foil trays are quite a lot thicker. Personally I’m trying to limit the use of tin foil and cling film as much as possible. I’ve come across a ‘recipe’ for making some beeswax food coverings that act as an alternative food covers and can be reused. Bought my beeswax, have lots of material, just need to do it! 

• Like 1

You can often reuse foil trays a number of times, so long as they are not too burnt in  

If you put them in the dishwasher they can come out a bit discoloured, but still OK  

Also you can reuse the smaller foil dishes from takeaways, and the plastic takeaway tubs - great for leftover potions to put in the fridge or freezer  

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bikertov said:

You can often reuse foil trays a number of times, so long as they are not too burnt in  

If you put them in the dishwasher they can come out a bit discoloured, but still OK  

You can use solid trays thousands of times and if you hand wash Dishes and crockery etc you save on electricity as well, we have had all our cooking utensils for decades and they are still going strong.

Sadly to much of today's society is disposable, we are supposed to be saving the planets resources yet constantly waste them producing throw away items, even recycling uses up energy etc. in the process, nothing ever has or ever will come for free.

Fred

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rightsaidfred said:

You can use solid trays thousands of times and if you hand wash Dishes and crockery etc you save on electricity as well, we have had all our cooking utensils for decades and they are still going strong.

Sadly to much of today's society is disposable, we are supposed to be saving the planets resources yet constantly waste them producing throw away items, even recycling uses up energy etc. in the process, nothing ever has or ever will come for free.

Fred

I totally agree - I really dislike the throwaway culture we live in, but do struggle to convince my family of the concept.

If something is slightly broken or damaged, I am happy to carry on using it if it can't be fully repaired. But their attitude is 'just get a new one'. To me, it feels such a waste to dispose of something that can still do it's job, and that is apart from the cost of a replacement.

The downside is that I am accused of being a hoarder, as I hate to throw anything away - just in case it may be repairable, salvageable or somehow useful in the future ...

• Like 3

Talking of wasted resources, last week I selected 'Paperless' in my online account with a pension provider. I always do this as I'm perfectly comfortable with digital records. They confirmed my choice within the app and by email.

This morning, you guessed it, a letter arrived from them confirming that I have selected 'Paperless'

🙄

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Ray said:

Talking of wasted resources, last week I selected 'Paperless' in my online account with a pension provider. I always do this as I'm perfectly comfortable with digital records. They confirmed my choice within the app and by email.

This morning, you guessed it, a letter arrived from them confirming that I have selected 'Paperless'

🙄

Whilst it may at first glance seem a bit of a waste, it is actually very good fraud prevention practice. Just imagine for one moment that someone had hacked your online pension account and was intending to steal your hard earnt pension. At least the letter arriving would have alerted you and you could then contact them to say it wasn't you who had requested your account was made paperless!!!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

Fred

Modern dishwashers use very little water and probably cost less to run than to do washing up by hand.

I am in agreement that using disposable cookware is not environmentally friendly.  If you have to wash a foil tray to recycle it, you may as well just use a proper one in the first place.

As for pots and pans, after buying a set of non stick saucepans when I first set up house in the seventies, that lasted a couple of years, I invested quite a lot of money in some Prestige copper bottomed stainless steel saucepans, which are still in use today over forty years later.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mouldy said:

Modern dishwashers use very little water and probably cost less to run than to do washing up by hand.

Not having one I dont know but from observing friends I can wash up in pretty much the same time they spend rinsing everything before putting it in the dishwasher plus I dont need special products just a bottle of washing up liquid that has multiple uses.

Fred

59 minutes ago, rightsaidfred said:

Not having one I dont know but from observing friends I can wash up in pretty much the same time they spend rinsing everything before putting it in the dishwasher plus I dont need special products just a bottle of washing up liquid that has multiple uses.

Fred

No need to rinse before putting things in a dishwasher, just scrape any waste into the bin just as you would before washing up.  We run our dishwasher just once a day, overnight.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Whilst it may at first glance seem a bit of a waste, it is actually very good fraud prevention practice. Just imagine for one moment that someone had hacked your online pension account and was intending to steal your hard earnt pension. At least the letter arriving would have alerted you and you could then contact them to say it wasn't you who had requested your account was made paperless!!!

Unless you are with Sun Life of course. I can't believe they are still using the advert where the guy's paperwork goes to his neighbour's house. Yes it could be the Postie at fault but if your policy goes astray, you have been warned...:default_biggrin:

In our house the dishwasher is me. Last year we stayed in a lodge with a dishwasher and we thought it was a faff. I got annoyed with the cutlery which seemed to come alive as I tried to get it all the the stupid basket thingy. This year at the same place I found it quicker to do the cutlery by hand, bung the rest in the washer and go out. Time isn't that precious at home so wouldn't bother.

• Haha 1