Riccos Moorings

Soundings

Has anybody heard what Riccos will be charging nexy year? It is probably a little early as the mooring year starts in April but one never knows xmas4

havent heard anything yet ... we will be there for another year & maybe more until Richos lets us down (unlikely) or if prices start getting stupid... neva had a problem good moorings shore power water all the other boaty stuff plus can pull the car right up to the boat so no long walking

Jonny

Clive,

How much is the difference for outside or wet shed?

Say a 27ft boat.

:Stinky

its about £10 per foot difference, but inside in Stalham is still cheaper than most moorings in Horning or Wroxham!

There will be a slight increase outside and a bit more inside but that wont be just yet...

Have to say we are with Richardsons and have been for about 3 years now. It is the best mooring by far that we have ever had. Nothing is too much trouble for the Richardsons staff, unlike some marinas. The folk who moor there are also the friendliest and helpful.

M

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Not yet clive,

I intend to have two hires before I buy.....

One to fill my loyalty card up.

And the half price one... to boat hunt....

cheersbar

We did the boat hunting bit on our second week while in the cottage in June this year. There are some i`d recommend Geoffers, and some i`d steer well clear of. But if you`re serious, don`t forget to add the cost of a full survey, and if nessecary, an updated BSSC, as you never know what they might have changed between tests.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I have to agree that the facilities at Ricko`s are first class, with competative prices (compared to others), but the reason i WOULD`NT moor on or anywhere near the Ant is because, AND THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION, ther are far too many boats moored at the head of the river. I`ve just looked at the google satelite view of Stalham, and it`s actually quite scary to see the number of boats all moored in one location. Add to that the moorings at Wayford bridge and Barton Turf,it seems as though the Ant is too crammed with moorings. I still say (AND AGAIN THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION), that more should be done to encourage some of the biggest fleets to operate a second yard on the Southern side to ease the burden of the Northern rivers (as done so by Ferry Marina and Le Boat) I know there would be financial constraints etc, but if the BA were to come up with some form of incentive, it would be much better for the Broads as a whole.

Neil,Sorry to be so contraversial, but, If you have a boat that is suited to the Northerns then its Northerns where you will moor. Full stop.

Its simply the better option.I know I have done both but always returned to the North. And although it is much hated by many the Ant is simply the best river on the whole system IMHO but also a lot of others who moor up our wayRod

Rod, Hi.

I'm going to argue with you over this one! We have a boat suited to the North Broads and did moor there. No way will we return except for a few weeks out of season... ask Barry and Olive too!

So it may be your better option but you just can't include everyone in your challeging statement! Period!

It’s simply a matter of choice, ignoring hire yards the number of people who vote with their mooring fees and prefer to moor and cruise north demonstrates its popularity, it certainly wouldn’t do for me except for a short visit but each to their own. Also I think with a large number it’s a matter of convenience and they moor where they have easiest (and most economical) access from their home, not all obviously as some will travel a bit further to get the cruising ground of choice.

I've always had moorings in the North because I live here. I guess that might sound a weak reason to anyone traveling hundreds of miles to get here, but 5 minutes to get to the boat is much quicker than 45 minutes, on an almost daily basis.

Having said that, I do keep well clear of the Ant during the height of the season and bank holidays, and use my boat much more during the Spring, Autumn and Winter.

I much prefer the quietness of the Waveney and Yare though, and if I lived down that way I would definitely prefer to moor there, rather than up here. The scenery may be less interesting and with fewer Broads, but the upper reaches are still very attractive in their own right.

If I were booking a hire craft in any of the busy periods, I would definitely prefer the South, even with the much more restricted choice of craft.

i dont mind where the boats moored

has to be fair on mooring prices not OTT

then the destinations

North or south i dont realy case aslong as im boating & on the broads enjoying my first love then i couldn't really give a figs ear which side :naughty::naughty:

Jonny

We have alwaya moored North and on the Ant, but yes the river can be very busy (uncomfortably so) on and around turnaround days. We have given thought and continue to give thought to the alternatives including going South but as Strowager says it is useful to have the boat ten minutes from home. There are those who travel long distances to their boats (we used to) and that does open up opportunities - if you are prepared to travel then the options of course go beyond the Norfolk Broads. Personal choice, I guess.

I missed that bit, yes, I certainly wouldn't agree with any sort of toll subsidy to equalise the traffic on the system.

Another thought is that most boaters (hirers and owners) seem a very gregarious bunch.

The majority seem to want to see and be seen by others, as long as they can get a mooring at the Pubs each day.

I savor the days when you pass only a handful of boats all day, but the busyness of the high season and the popularity of the North prove that most people enjoy the crowds.

We have had the debate about overcrowding before so we will not start that again! But yes boaters are gregarious - we used to be on the Leicester Arm of th Grand Union Canal. There were miles of towpath mooring in some pretty stunning countrysie. Come evening though the country moorings were basically empty as the boating population all headed for the nearest landmark (read pub or village with pub)