River Ice - Dec 2022 Into Early 2023

BroadAmbition

Just got back from a 3 hour round trip. Decided it was too unsafe to stay on board with getting the dog on and off. Its just too slippery. Checked the boat over and engine started first time. Everything ok so very relieved. So strange seeing the main river completely frozen over but very beautiful! 

FEFC3B9E-B861-4E4D-B5F2-C6B052E7D290.jpeg

EAEC6A84-2386-4EC4-A1A6-06C8B73E5ABA.jpeg

56D47994-F23C-4807-8C61-BC692DC76C7B.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Bikertov said:

I didn't realise how easily it seems that the rivers and Broads can freeze over - and it doesn't even seem to be that cold even. 

It wasn’t cold, it was ******* freezing! just ask Desmond who made a nest while we were checking things over 😂

3D9D809A-46A2-4E97-9D31-9BA36A4ABCC4.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Love 3

7 hours ago, Lulu said:

Decided it was too unsafe to stay on board with getting the dog on and off.

I know you have to get Desmond off the side Lulu but this is what I did with Charlie, who has to be on the lead as he bogs off otherwise. And he had to be helped up steps ‘cos he’s got a gammy leg. 
I half lifted, using his harness and he half jumped, up the aft well onto the quay with me firmly inside the boat. I then looped the lead around the mooring post so I wasn’t holding a pulling dog while I climbed out. 
Finlay, on the other hand, just jumps out and stays close if asked. I think he gets a bit fed up waiting for me sometimes!

Sorry to hear you had to go home but you achieved your goal of checking the boat over. It does gives you peace of mind. 

If we had stern access it wouldn’t have been such a problem but if one of us slips we both slip and i cant let him off the lead. Its been a long day but i will sleep well knowing the boat is fine. We did some tweaks with the dehumidifier and left the curtains open to let the sun come in and warm things up a bit as and when it decides to make an appearance. Still cant get over how the engine started first time. Good ole Perkins. 

• Like 1

Mine did too. And after we serviced it, with changing the fuel filters, it only needed a bit of coaxing (bleeding) to get going again. I left her with tube heater on thermostat and also a duvet over the top to keep the heat generated from escaping so much. 

On 16/12/2022 at 11:53, Bikertov said:

I didn't realise how easily it seems that the rivers and Broads can freeze over - and it doesn't even seem to be that cold even. 

You have to remember that they are very shallow and do not retain their daytime build of heat like large bodies of deep water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really glad to see the end of the freeze. This year, on the back of the recent mild winters  (!!) and because of the exorbitant cost of electricity we decided not to leave heating on board during the winter. We settled for winterising the engine, draining down the domestic water system, leaving all taps open  antifreeze down loo and fitting a  substantial winter cover. We hope all will be well.  At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I can't say I particularly enjoyed the blue skies last week as with the sun so low at this time of the year it makes for very uncomfortable driving. 

Carole

I checked mine over on Friday and I'm glad to say no problems up to that point. The tube heaters were doing the job of keeping the engine compartment at a toasty 5 degrees!!. I always leave the taps open during the Winter but tried the water system out of interest and the pump was fine, with just a little ice coming out the galley cold tap, before normal water appeared.

I think the big problem this year could be mould. I fired up the warm air heating to give it a run and warm the boat through a little bit. Before long it started raining on me. The condensation on the head lining had in fact iced up and running the heater caused it to melt and start dripping. I got a cloth and dried it all off, which I know is a thankless task because it no doubt returned as soon as I left the boat and froze again, but it did make me think that when the thaw comes that water will drip of the ceiling and onto the carpet, cushions, bedding etc and with low enough temperatures and damp conditions will turn to mould in no time. Fortunately I'm due to be in the area next week for a few days so will pop across to the boat and turn the heating back on for a few hours to give the boat a good dry out.

Could be worth a trip for those of you that are close enough to go and give those head linings a dry off and air the boat through for a few hours if possible.

f40df5af-45a4-470b-a225-bffb6b2da159.jpg

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

I checked mine over on Friday and I'm glad to say no problems up to that point. The tube heaters were doing the job of keeping the engine compartment at a toasty 5 degrees!!. I always leave the taps open during the Winter but tried the water system out of interest and the pump was fine, with just a little ice coming out the galley cold tap, before normal water appeared.

I think the big problem this year could be mould. I fired up the warm air heating to give it a run and warm the boat through a little bit. Before long it started raining on me. The condensation on the head lining had in fact iced up and running the heater caused it to melt and start dripping. I got a cloth and dried it all off, which I know is a thankless task because it no doubt returned as soon as I left the boat and froze again, but it did make me think that when the thaw comes that water will drip of the ceiling and onto the carpet, cushions, bedding etc and with low enough temperatures and damp conditions will turn to mould in no time. Fortunately I'm due to be in the area next week for a few days so will pop across to the boat and turn the heating back on for a few hours to give the boat a good dry out.

Could be worth a trip for those of you that are close enough to go and give those head linings a dry off and air the boat through for a few hours if possible.

f40df5af-45a4-470b-a225-bffb6b2da159.jpg

I have just called at our boat and have the same condensation problem in the aft section of the boat (front cabin all well as I have a dehumidifier set on a timer )l It was soaking in areas.

I think whilst the tube heaters x 2 in have been doing there job in the engine bay on a thermostat they must have been on for a while and caused all the condensation. 
I may run antifreeze through the raw water next week and forget it until spring as I always think I can extend to  a winter cruise but rarely do.

John