Potter Bridge Closed To Road Traffic

Meantime

Hi The best solution for all (Except the person paying) would be to demolish it then rebuild it on modern foundations exactly as it is, BUT! with a higher arch clearance. I am not holding my breath on this solution as the person paying would have no benefit from this. John

I haven't read every thread but is the bridge closed to river traffic as well?  I saw a picture in the online EDP that showed a picture saying closed, moor and await instruction.  I wasn't sure whether that was because the divers were in the river?

I'm not entirely sure if some folk are being serious on the potential that the bridge might get raised/removed 😂😂😂😂😂😂.

That bridge is going no where, ( except potentially closer to  the river bed 😁) unless it receives some major

trauma . 

• Like 1

In 2007 storms washed away parts of the Severn Valley Railway and due to the impact on local tourism £3.8million was raised for the repairs. In 2015 storm Desmond washed away 2 bridges and damaged another on the Keswick to Threlkeld railway walk in the Lake District. £7.9million was the bill for that one and with no toll payers to recoup the cost!

If PH was deemed to be totally unsafe it could actually be a blessing disguise and lead to decent long term outcome. It's value to tourism, listed status and location within a National Park would all count in it's favour. 

the fact that it is a listed structure wont help any, I once lived in a grade 2 listed council house, and the problems that lead to, they werent allowed to visibly alter the appearaance of the property, so when everyone else got double glazing, all we got was secondary glazing, when it came time to fit a gas boiler, the flue ended up going through the wall into the hedge where it couldnt be seen.

• Sad 1

I think you will find that Potter Heigham Bridge is a scheduled Ancient Monument under the jurisdiction of English Heritage. Therefore the smart money is on it is going nowhere and will not be altered. Boats have been passing under it since 1385, unfortunately water levels have risen and flood defences have had to be made higher which tends to push the water further inland. As has been pointed out on many occasion, it is the fact it is an arch and Broads boats tend to be very wide beam in their superstructure that keeps many out. 

High craft would not benefit because the road bridge is less, quite a bit less than 8ft anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jeffbroadslover said:

You could more or less guarantee thatif the bridge was over somewhere like the Thames the money would be found in a big pot available to English Heritage or the National Park Family.

What a shame that the Norfolk Broads are in Norfolk and not near the capital !!!!!

Jeff  

The Thames has it's own "Potter" namely Osney Bridge in Oxford. At 7'6" it stops the higher airdraft boats from the top 32 miles of river.

OsneyBridge.thumb.jpg.5ce6afc385fcbd403a4dab4ee0731451.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

You could more or less guarantee thatif the bridge was over somewhere like the Thames the money would be found in a big pot available to English Heritage or the National Park Family.

What a shame that the Norfolk Broads are in Norfolk and not near the capital !!!!!

Jeff  

Always money for London.

• Like 1

If the Norfolk Broads were in London it wouldn't be Norfolk :facepalm:The London Broads doesn't have quite the same ring to it and could mean a whole different thing entirely :default_biggrin:

I love that bridge if there was a way around it or under it without damaging the old structure how great that would be. When I was little my parents and I would spend days up on Hickling Broad, very fond memories x

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

What a ghastly thought!!!

13 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

I wonder what could happen if the Council finds Potter Heigham's structure is unsafe I hope not but  would that  means  Broads Authority would step in to say No Boats going in or out of that Potter Heigham Brid.ge. 

They wouldn't have much choice on that one and the rspb and such would love it.

• Like 2

boats dont actually use the bridge as such, thye usethe hole under the bridge and dont (unless they hit it) contribute to wear of the bridge, If the bridge got sso unsafe that it was in danger of collapse then the fact it is a scheduled ancient monument would be enough to prompt repairs to stabilise the structure so the situation should never arise (unless temporarily while under repair) that the bridge be closed to river traffic. I would also expect that a great deal of pressure would come from the businesses above the bridge that use the navigation, Martham boats for one, plus the lighter that services the riverside properties. - those properties themselves and all other river users.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The Thames has it's own "Potter" namely Osney Bridge in Oxford. At 7'6" 

7ft6" ? - We can only dream of that mount of airdraft at PHB.

Can we swop PHB for Osney Bridge please?

Griff

One big difference is that part of the Thames is non tidal, another difference is moorings are mostly dependent on local authorities or private owners, there is no free network of moorings and very few boat related facilities.

Fred

• Thanks 1