Twin engines

Hi there

I can only comment on shaft drive boats but yes it will run on one engine but you will have to apply a little rudder to compensate for the off centre leverage. Be aware though that the prop on the non running engine will cause the shaft and hence gearbox to rotate as you move thru the water. Some gearboxes apparently do not like that. :norty:

hope that helps

Wayne

Also, possibly, ( I have no experience of this myself ), the props should be of the correct pitch for the pair to be running.

If only one is running, then it's running with half the normal torque available for the same mass of boat to move at any give engine revs/speed.

Exactly the same as "over-propping" a single engine, which can be quite damaging.

( IMHO )

I'm envious really, my boat is only a single.... ;)

You will get a bit of offset thrust Ian, but run alternatively to keep the hours ballanced and you should be OK short term, as Strowie says some do not like freewheeling. All in all I would suggest smaller props for long term river use would be a more appropriate solution, unless you have turbos to load up that is.

Clanny is happier running one engine on the rivers. Goes straighter, possibly due to a few more revs giving better directional thrust as she is on duo prop outdrives.

Doesn't like to turn in the direction of the running engine though so starting the other one up for moorings.is a good idea.

Does save about 1 1/2 pints of beer an hour in monetary terms.

• 5 weeks later...
With the single engine low speed steering issue, by dropping one of the trim tabs on the running engine side will the drag act as a secondary rudder?

Ian :Stinky

Dont forget what a trim tab does as opposed to a rudder (or outdrive)

Rudder (or outdrive) primary effect is to yaw the boat, the secondary effect will be roll

trim tab - Primary effect roll, secondary effect is yaw

Although running a single tab down it is more likely to make the boat list but secondary effect will be to to correct the yaw so you will just crap along. However, physics aside, at river speed all this is fairly negligable and you probably wont have to use a tab.. just accespt that the boat will travel at a slight angle through the water!

so you will just crap along.

"Best Freudian slip of the year award" :lol:

One prop stopped, one tab down, boat listing, extra drag and fuel consumption, = "crapping along".... :clap

Hi Ian, don't think the tab would make any difference at all to the steering issue, for one thing they have virtually no effect at rivet speeds and for another the poor turning in one direction is because the thrust is being applied out of centre. A twin engine boat turns more easily than a single even without using opposing engines as long as you are turning in the opposite direction to the running prop, try to turn in the same direction and it is working against you.

It is only moorings where it will cause you a problem though and running just the one engine equates to a saving of £4 an hour on the rivers with Clanny.

Twin tabs and twin engines Ian? Not going salty are you? :naughty:

No plans for the salty bits.

It might be easy to go out there, and this type of boat looks able to handle some limited conditions, but with no training or experience it is not fair to expect others to come to your rescue and pick up the pieces. Many years ago I used to work with some volunteers on the Lowestoft Lifeboat and appreciate what they do and encounter.

Back to the topic.

When we took our new boat on the river trial we tried both engines on single running and yes a bit of rudder was required to compensate for the thrust. This was not a problem. What did surprise me was how well you could handle the boat on the two throttles for slow speeds and not use the rudder.

Ian

Having thought about this for some while, I can guarantee a number of things. Having two engines will have at least the following effect: It will double your oil expenditure, your spark plug and lead expenditure, it will increase the swearability modulus in that the reduced space in the engine compartment will invariably mean that you have less room for your elbows and more importanatly your head to fit into. You will then have two engines to listen to when you suddenly get an attack of 'Skippers Super-Hearing' whereby even the smallest whine will have to be verified. Invariably the time will come when one engine for whatever reason refuses to start and this will mean that you will call off your journey a few hundred metres up river whilst you completely ignore the fact that 90% of the other boats on the river only have one engine anyway. You will invariably put the wrong engine for'ad as the boat neetly pirouettes away from the mooring you were aiming for, and likewise whilst stern mooring, the same effect will inevitably turn your stern moor into a side-on! As well as your oil and possiblt fuel costs doubling, so will your alchol intake as I cannot explain, but in recent years the amount of Fosters/Carlsberg and wine we get through has increased umteenfold (We do however have a crate of Carling knocking around somewhere at a very reasonable cost - (which I keep next to the remnants of a very expensive set of champagne glasses... well expensive to me). With the added edition of engines, your cruising buddies will also change. Whereas guys who used to wave at you majestically as you sailed past in your half-decker thingy will still wave, only now use less fingers! Your new friends, having got to the 'pub' in the time that takes to get there instead of the previous few days 'hell and high seas' journey, will ensure that you have sufficient alcholic intake that will ensure you will be 'checking your fenders' far more frequently than before and you will no longer be able to decipher why the other people in the pub, when you were a saily and thought they were all drunkards, suddenly seem quite normal! And lastly, don't forget, your new Broads toll will include the unwritten rule that you can now run a several hundred metre extention cord to an electric point in order to keep the sound system pumping out the tunes to any hours of the morning!

Welcome to the real world of boating :grin::grin:

Oh and I nearly forgot.... (for those that remember..)

Bachman Turner Overdrive....Let's Rock!

post-814-136713882006_thumb.jpg

I just hope people don't see that as some kind of invitation Ian :naughty:

:naughty::norty:

Twin Diesel, American built, sea going, unable to get under potter, owned by an ex sailing boat owner and on the Broads!

If that is not a sin I don't know what is. :o

Twin Diesel, American built, sea going, unable to get under potter, owned by an ex sailing boat owner and on the Broads!

you want some ballast ill get you under :lol::lol:

Ian i cant believe im reading this !! You were a Saily man, everytime i saw you on the Broads you were Tacking ;):naughty:

Whats with the change ?