3 Rivers Race 2023

TheQ

The winner was Dingy Skipper no 6 Yare & Bure OD. I wished the skipper good luck on Friday having photographed one that day!

I arrived back in the galley at 08:00 and the fun continued. Having helped prepare 60 breakfasts before 23:15 by 12:00 midday we eventually reached 260 the majority between 08:00 & 12:00!

Note for next year have a decent tin opener to open the giant baked bean tins and when they hand out the 'raffle tickets' please tell the participants not to hand out individually to the crew - keep the strip intake ☹️

• Like 2

I've really enjoyed this thread, thank you for keeping us well informed, I could sense the excitement in some of the posts. I did see some of it on the webcams, amazing stuff 

Note to Liz, don't forget the tin opener (an early reminder) :default_biggrin: x

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, batrabill said:

Q, in the days of Social Media, wouldn't it be worth finding a person to "live report" the race?

Would it be considered wrong to say which boats had gone left or right at Thurne mouth?

Ooo...how can you even suggest that? :default_hiding: Surely port and starboard are the only terms allowed! :default_eusa_dance:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, batrabill said:

Q, in the days of Social Media, wouldn't it be worth finding a person to "live report" the race?

Would it be considered wrong to say which boats had gone left or right at Thurne mouth?

We have enough problems trying to recruit enough duty crew for the race without trying to find another one.

12 guardships x 4 people,, half a dozen start finish, radio and line crew, then the magnificent galley crew for 08:00 on the Saturday through to around 15:00 on the Sunday.

That being said, each boat is recorded as it passes each guardship in the race, I wonder if there's some software that could display  each boats last known position on a map.

22 minutes ago, TheQ said:

We have enough problems trying to recruit enough duty crew for the race without trying to find another one.

12 guardships x 4 people,, half a dozen start finish, radio and line crew, then the magnificent galley crew for 08:00 on the Saturday through to around 15:00 on the Sunday.

That being said, each boat is recorded as it passes each guardship in the race, I wonder if there's some software that could display  each boats last known position on a map.

The Herbert Woods boat Filibuster was being tracked and could be seen on their website 

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/three-rivers-tracker/?fbclid=IwAR05MvkQepnVTLsw273mHRWDa3UIOeQfwMz0C0Y2QCOeK6fIORDfITbLRgU

2 hours ago, batrabill said:

The Herbert Woods boat Filibuster was being tracked and could be seen on their website 

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/three-rivers-tracker/?fbclid=IwAR05MvkQepnVTLsw273mHRWDa3UIOeQfwMz0C0Y2QCOeK6fIORDfITbLRgU

The map is n longer there, but it showed their location in real time. I wonder what software/technology is required? Perhaps someone from Herbert Woods can tell us. 

The technology needed is APRS or GPRs Used in shipping aircraft and the such like.

As a radio amateur we have access to a site called aprs.fi to transmit our locations

Here a snapshot of the strait of Dover with it in action

aprs.jpg

It's easily downloaded as an app on a smartphone and you can edit the period of reporting in seconds. The quicker you transmit the closer the dots are together. But you would get a very wavy line with a sailboat if you reported too often.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

The technology needed is APRS or GPRs Used in shipping aircraft and the such like.

As a radio amateur we have access to a site called aprs.fi to transmit our locations

Here a snapshot of the strait of Dover with it in action

aprs.jpg

It's easily downloaded as an app on a smartphone and you can edit the period of reporting in seconds. The quicker you transmit the closer the dots are together. But you would get a very wavy line with a sailboat if you reported too often.

What would be needed to make that useful in this circumstance.

Crews could download an app but who would create the active map that would only show 3rr boats? Or is that not necessary?

2 hours ago, batrabill said:

What would be needed to make that useful in this circumstance.

Crews could download an app but who would create the active map that would only show 3rr boats? Or is that not necessary?

Would run off any mobile phone

If one of your members is an amateur radio operator he could set multiple addresses on the aprs.fi app for each boat.

the software map is very zoomable and you could have the whole course or just a small section of one river

The whole course

Bmap1.jpg

Part course

Bmap2.jpg

Full zoom Wroxham bridge

Bmap3.jpg

Perhaps easier way to track is a GPS tag - connected via Bluetooth to someone on the boats mobile phone - job done. They are about £50.00. I've thought for sometime how this event could be be a bit more widely enjoyed through more sponsorship funding allowing more of the public to enjoy from real time tracking, to live streaming the event, but then again I suspect many would find that a bit too much.

36 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The question is cost, last time the Race committee looked at it, the cost of trackers would double the entry fee. That's without setting up the software and online costs.

Isn’t the above saying that crews can download software onto their own mobile so the cost is negligible. The time to arrange is not though I accept. 

Surely part of the skill of the 3RR (and I have competed in the past) is to choose your own route over the course, depending on the wind and also the time of the tide on the lower Bure.  It is therefore a navigation race, which depends on the local knowledge of each skipper. 

When you meet another boat halfway through and you think you are ahead of them, you may not be!  They may have done both short legs, but you have not.  So you don't know whether you are actually, behind them over the course.

If everyone knew exactly where they were just by "downloading the APP" it would take a great deal of fun out of the race.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

"If everyone knew exactly where they were"

And that, sir, is the whole concept of sailing.

With regard to our holiday makers 

Half of them don't know where they are, where they have come from, or indeed where they are going. Bless! 🚣‍♀️😃

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, batrabill said:

Hence my original question. 

The trade-off is that it would be a much better spectator event with tracking. 

I cant see how it would work. It would identify where a boat was positioned on the Broads but how does the spectator factor in the handicap factor.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I cant see how it would work. It would identify where a boat was positioned on the Broads but how does the spectator factor in the handicap factor.

Not convinced that matters much. Lots of interest in who get to Potter/Hickling/ Acle etc. Also most boats have lots of friends and family following them. Nice to know where they are.