Hi All. 👋

AdamB

Fenders - it adds to the time spent on decks over open water which adds to the hazards.

It also looks Ship shape and just proper.  It also cuts down drag if left dragging in the water and helps to keep the fender bottoms clean.  It also reduces the risk of fenders and their respective lanyards getting caught and ripped off whilst underway seen it many times.  To me its just not right.  We were lifting fenders up on deck years and years before I ever joined the RN and went to sea.  Pre 70's most Broads craft lifted them once underway, the practise has largely died out nowadays.  I appreciate in some craft its not really possible, some crews are also not realistically physically able to

I just don't get the rag n stick brigade, yacht designers go to a lot of trouble making yacht hulls as slippy as possible with minimal drag, then sailors go careering all over the rivers (Literally) dragging fenders in the water

Griff

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Pre 70's most Broads craft lifted them once underway, the practise has largely died out nowadays. 

That is very true. At Hearts in the 50s and 60s, hirers were told to lift the fenders, on the rial run.  Mind you, there were only three each side anyway!

1684027722_kinghickling.thumb.jpeg.d9aaf8a5ef59407f6c6222140e4ea636.jpeg

• Like 2

Knowing how clumsy I can be, even tripping over thin air, I know I’d step out and trip over the fenders if we kept them on deck and …… sploosh!  We often make a last minute decision to moor and cant be doing with extra trip hazards and prep 

You keep on raising your fenders Griff as BA always looks ship shape and very smart while under way.:default_stinky:

Ole Marge and myself are danglers as we would need a safety boat following us to be able to do this.  However when leaving Neatishead it is always done. Also with a tight stern on gap.

KIndest Regards Marge and Parge 

Fenders dragging in the water is another matter, I have fallen foul to this when dropping lower for a low edge and forgetting to lift again but try and avoid that, mine are on spring hooks that go around the lower guard wire normally and keeps them clear of the water but can be hooked around the stantion bases when needed lower.

Each to their own but I don't think it's good to advise folk to go out on deck everytime they move or moor without any knowledge of their boat or experience/physical ability.

• Like 1

Hi Adam I went to Tollsbury, it's near Colchester to fetch mine they had every thing I needed plus advice on fitting, It's very heavy so would be expensive to post and if you went for mat it is rolled up like carpets are so edges could be damaged in transit. John