Places To Go?

Happy

Due to age/mobility it has been decided boating is now not a choice for us.  We have hired a couple of house boats

before and this year having a lodge in early May at Beccles, near where to our boat used to be moored.  Now looking

at places to explore.  First choice is a day boat up to the locks pub.  Another place I have looked at is the Transport Museum at Ipswich.

Has anyone been and would you reccomend?  Any other ideas would be welcome.  Two oldies and the dog!

Thanks.  Alan

• Like 1

I think Mrs Happy would love Somerleyton Hall, a very grand house and beautiful  gardens.

Also Henstead Exotic Gardens if it's your thing of course.

There's also a Beccles and District Museum which may be of interest.

I prefer visiting old pubs and Inn's but then you know that Alan and I'm sure you know quite a lot about too :default_biggrin: :default_icon_kiss: 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Woodbridge is well worth a visit, some lovely medieval buildings (some pubs :default_party0001:so you can nose around the inside with an excuse to be in the pub) and the tide mill, the replica of the sutton hoo boat down by the quay and sutton hoo itself of course just outside, and the angel had woodfordes albion stout last time I was in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you're looking for waterside or nearby pubs:- Ramsholt Arms,anywhere in Woodbridge, Waldringfield Maybush, Felixstowe Ferry FBI, Levington Ship, Chelmondiston Red Lion and Pin Mill Butt and Oyster are all highly recommended. To maintain the Broads link, Arthur Ransome lived for a while beside the Butt and  Oyster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take a drive along the North Coast Road. Cromer, Sheringham, Blakeney, Morston, Wells, Brancaster etc all good.

Nearer to The Broads I enjoy Caister Motor Museum at the Castle. A really good private collecton of most interest to us who started driving in the sixties.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Hi Alan,

Are you stopping in Derbys loft in the yard?

Paul.

:default_icon_wave:  Hi Paul.  I did not know that there was a Derbys loft in the yard.  If I had realised would have considered it.

We are staying in the detatched servants quaters of 'mansion'.  For future use, is the loft worth considering?

Regards Alan

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, petersjoy said:

Thanks Paul.  Looks good.  (Better than the old toilets that were 'always going to be modernised'!) Unfortunately

no dogs accepted which is no good to us as we still have Purdy our shi-tzu.  Keep well.  Regards Alan