Please Help

pgm2010

Hi all, I have a boat stored at Great Yarmouth that has had the engine and all controls stolen. If anyone hears anything about a Silver Honda 8 LRE Outboard engine Serial no BAAJ1306656 anywhere, any information however small, really would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks.

Im sorry to hear that and im sorry to say that it would seem that nothing is safe at the moment.

Everyone take note, if your engine is small enough take it off and lock it away at home.

As has been talked about on here recently boats on trailers, where you can take all wheels off leaving trailer on blocks, chain and padlock the trailer to somthing strong, lock or remove the hitch.

If it takes half a day of your time it was worth it not to loose whats yours.

Thanks guys, It's just a case of trying to get as many people as possible looking out for it, turns out to add insult to injury the insurance had just lapsed and I didn't realise! As has been said, if at all possible remove as much as you can from your own boats, I had the Insurance approved Yam lock fitted, had the engine chained to a floor fixed post and had the whole transom reinforced with a stainless steel plate and still they took everything - NOTHING IS SAFE regardless of how secure you think it you have made it!! I think with everything I will now leave the boating world so if anybody knows of anyone that wants to buy a yorkshire pebble on a trailer give me a shout!

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
Im sorry to hear that and im sorry to say that it would seem that nothing is safe at the moment.

Everyone take note, if your engine is small enough take it off and lock it away at home.

As has been talked about on here recently boats on trailers, where you can take all wheels off leaving trailer on blocks, chain and padlock the trailer to somthing strong, lock or remove the hitch.

If it takes half a day of your time it was worth it not to loose whats yours.

There`s a power boat stored on a trailer near my works (i`m not saying where), and the owner has done just that. It`s on blocks with the wheels removed, and the towing hitch removed. It would have to be a VERY dedicated thief to take it away. This is exactly what i suggested on a similar thread posted by "Swordfish" elsewhere. No matter where you store your boat, ALWAYS remove any "removable" items, even if it means unbolting them.

It`s really sad to hear of the losses PGM, and i sincerely hope they can be recovered and returned to you, but if not, it`s well worth remembering that winter is also "boatjumble season". Another thing to consider if going boatjumbling is that if someone is NOT prepared to accept a cheque for an (or some) items, then it may be worth steering well clear, as cheques have to be payed into registered accounts, so a thief won`t want to pay a cheque for stolen property into one.

Thanks guys, It's just a case of trying to get as many people as possible looking out for it, turns out to add insult to injury the insurance had just lapsed and I didn't realise! As has been said, if at all possible remove as much as you can from your own boats, I had the Insurance approved Yam lock fitted, had the engine chained to a floor fixed post and had the whole transom reinforced with a stainless steel plate and still they took everything - NOTHING IS SAFE regardless of how secure you think it you have made it!! I think with everything I will now leave the boating world so if anybody knows of anyone that wants to buy a yorkshire pebble on a trailer give me a shout!

The thieves gain is all of our loss, sorry that this is pushing you to leave boating.

Just a thought its always worth posting a wanted add in gumtree and similar, you never know it maybe a stupid thief!

It`s really sad to hear of the losses PGM, and i sincerely hope they can be recovered and returned to you, but if not, it`s well worth remembering that winter is also "boatjumble season". Another thing to consider if going boatjumbling is that if someone is NOT prepared to accept a cheque for an (or some) items, then it may be worth steering well clear, as cheques have to be payed into registered accounts, so a thief won`t want to pay a cheque for stolen property into one.

On the other hand, I may well be seen at a couple of local boat jumbles this year (with a selection of classic outboards and Stuart Turner engine parts if anyone's interested). There's absolutely no way that I'd take a cheque (unless it was from somebody who I knew very well indeed), as since the cheque guarantee system no longer operates, there's no way of knowing that it's going to be honoured by the bank when I come to pay it in. If somebody wants to make a large purchase from me, it's cash there and then or some other method and they get the goods when payment clears. Of course, whatever method they choose, I'm happy to provide a receipt with my name and address on it, to assuage any concerns as to the provenance of my stock.

I'll certainly keep an eye out for the OP's outboard, as it's exactly the kind of item I buy and sell anyway and I have no intention of getting lumbered with stolen property if I can help it.

pgm2010,

Really sorry to hear this bad news.

These people are the scum of the earth and never know what it's like to lose something they've had to work hard to get.

I hope they drown in Breydon if they get to use it, but they are determined scum and I reckon they've already sold it on!

Don't give up boating mate...it's something to live for, which is more than I can say for the scum who stole your gear.

I hope they're dead tonight!

MC