Suggestions For The Less Able?

catcouk

Hello all! It has been a long while since I've posted - I have suffered from Long Covid for two years. I am desperate for a boating holiday with my family but my new reduced energy levels mean we can't do what we're used to.

In short, does anyone have any good ideas for what someone with less physical capacity can do ashore? We have a 5 year-old that needs entertaining too.

To be more specific, we don't fancy lugging my mobility scooter on and off the boat (let alone imagine finding a space to keep it onboard). I have enough ability to get on and off the boat and safely moor up. I could make the walk over the bridge at Potter to Lathams but probably won't survive a browse around it. Our usual walks around Hoveton Great Broad or Cockshoot Broad are sadly out of the question.

I'm desperate to get back on the water and any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated!

• Like 3

Firstly I am so sorry for your long Covid issues. My Dad has mobility issues, he also needs a scooter and a wheelchair so I can fully understand your concerns.

For entertaining your little one there are plenty of books available about wild life on the Broads, I have spent many a day afloat looking for and spotting wildlife with them, a drawing book and pencils to list and sketch what they have seen that day. That can be done without setting foot off the boat. 

My kids also know a lot of the boats  by name that cruise by as a result of doing the same as above

Take a small foldable picnic table for meals on the bank, My kids love having hot dogs or burgers sitting on the bank in the evenings. No need for pubs or cafes although nothing nicer than creating memories over lunch in the waterside pubs, it can be just as much fun

Family time afloat is what's important, no need to have to plod around Latham's buying tat, I bet you're pleased about that :default_biggrin:

Whatever you do, take care, be safe and above all have fun x

• Like 7

I don't have long covid,but have COPD. Recovering  from Cancer. At times my mobility  is not good.I just take my time and rest when ever I can.As others have said there are very nice holidays  let's and house boats available. You will know your ability. Hopefully you can find something that suits you. 

• Like 2

I too have difficulty in walking far and especially going upstairs so we have plumped for holiday homes.  There is a wide selection and you are spoilt for choice.    I agree with Marshman about the houseboats at Beccles.  The kiddies will think they are on a boat as effectively on the water just the same and yet you will have all facilities including an excellent taxi service here to ferry you into town - you know it is uphill and I could not do it now.   I say about a taxi because of parking.  At least you will be dropped off at the shops.  There are several benches to sit on with help.     As you will have the car a day out at Africa Alive is always worth a visit and you can reserve a wheel chair , which is what we do when you book.

Plenty of toilets there and facilities for eating etc and I have to say I have never seen such clean toilets as at Africa Alive.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your long Covid.

We have members of our syndicate who have young children, and it has been interesting to read their blog posts on our syndicate website (link to our syndicate website below) on how they head for places that have play parks etc. where their kids can let off steam. Some of the places that they’ve mentioned include:

Beccles. Playground just behind the northern yacht station moorings and (if you hire a low airdraft boat that can fit under the old bridge) the open air Lido swimming pool that’s right next to the Lido moorings.

Oulton Broad. Large playground in the Nicholas Everitt park next to the yacht station. There’s also powerboat racing on the Broad some summer evenings. Dan also mentioned that the Turkish restaurant near the yacht station made their kids very welcome. 

Waveney River Centre has an indoor swimming pool.

Rockland St Mary has a play park just down the road from the staithe and a pub over the road from the staithe.

Acle Bridge Inn seems to have lots of things to amuse kids.

Sutton Staithe also has a play park. I haven’t moored there myself, so I’m not sure whether that a public park or belonging to the pub.

If I recall correctly, I think there’s also a playground on the green behind the Stokesby BA moorings.

If you are willing to take a taxi, there are various amusement parks: Petite’s on the outskirts of Reedham; Pleasurewood Hills, Lowestoft; Bewilderwood, Horning. And of course, you could take a taxi from Yarmouth/Oulton Broad yacht stations to Gt Yarmouth/ Lowestoft beaches. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Very sorry to hear about your long Covid.

We have members of our syndicate who have young children, and it has been interesting to read their blog posts on our syndicate website (link to our syndicate website below) on how they head for places that have play parks etc. where their kids can let off steam. Some of the places that they’ve mentioned include:

Beccles. Playground just behind the northern yacht station moorings and (if you hire a low airdraft boat that can fit under the old bridge) the open air Lido swimming pool that’s right next to the Lido moorings.

Oulton Broad. Large playground in the Nicholas Everitt park next to the yacht station. There’s also powerboat racing on the Broad some summer evenings. Dan also mentioned that the Turkish restaurant near the yacht station made their kids very welcome. 

Waveney River Centre has an indoor swimming pool.

Rockland St Mary has a play park just down the road from the staithe and a pub over the road from the staithe.

Acle Bridge Inn seems to have lots of things to amuse kids.

Sutton Staithe also has a play park. I haven’t moored there myself, so I’m not sure whether that a public park or belonging to the pub.

If I recall correctly, I think there’s also a playground on the green behind the Stokesby BA moorings.

If you are willing to take a taxi, there are various amusement parks: Petite’s on the outskirts of Reedham; Pleasurewood Hills, Lowestoft; Bewilderwood, Horning. And of course, you could take a taxi from Yarmouth/Oulton Broad yacht stations to Gt Yarmouth/ Lowestoft beaches. 

Lots of places down South but I can't imagine a relaxing short break from Stalham getting there! I can add to your list of play parks though as I did some work on this a few years back. I'd have to look up the full list but the one near Horning village hall was great and, for a bit of a walk up the hill, Loddon has a play park and a skate park. There is also a very little park about 10 minutes South of the main moorings at Potter.

Also - I can confirm the park at Beccles is awesome. My son loved that when we were last up.

• Like 2

That Horning playground is up a very steep hill!

I’ve never really considered this before, but it does seem like there are more southern broads destinations that are good for families with young children. The trouble is that hiring options on the southern broads are rapidly declining. Pacific Cruisers in Loddon seem to have some very satisfied customers. I’ve not hired with them, just going on general reviews and holiday blogs on this forum. 

I hadn't thought about the extra cabin - great idea. I actually have an electric bike which let me go on my first bike ride with my son. Unfortunately, I suspect that extra cabin will be rather costly. Worth a look though.

Sorry to hear about your illness we know what it's like and the frustration is very hard to deal with. 

If you hire a boat that will go under Wroxham bridge then you have the park. Coltishall you are on the green. Salhouse has the beach. A taxi to pleasure wood hills from any Horning boat yard . Ranworth you are on the play area and a boat trip to the nature reserve. There is a little cottage to see at How Hill if you moor near the Stalham end and possibly a Werry. The little shop for Ice cream at Womac.

Gracie has had some great ideas a table and stuff on the bank set up camp near the boat.

Please remember life jackets for all at all times.  I wear mine as I haven't got enough go to swim or rescue anyone. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge (I know that positivity is one of the best therapies so bite sized chunks and go for your holiday you and your five year old will all be skippers )

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, MargeandParge said:

Please remember life jackets for all at all times.  I wear mine as I haven't got enough go to swim or rescue anyone.

Absolutely! Our son was wearing his lifejacket on deck from 8 weeks old. As an ex-sailing instructor, I take the safety and seamanship of our holiday very seriously!

Great suggestions there. I will certainly put those on the list - thanks for all the details.

• Like 1

I understand your need to be afloat, the waterside lodges and houseboats are a great idea, I've hired them for my dad and although lovely, not quite the same so I get it.

A one level cruiser is a good shout too. The picnic table idea I suggested earlier was such a success with my children. Cruise for a good part of the day and then find moorings where you can pitch up the table and have picnics and meals etc, little ones don't need expensive entertainment all of the time. If you can create something you wouldn't normally do at home it makes for an adventure and wonderful memories x

• Like 3

Hi Old Parge again another thought to save your energy an inexpensive digital camera for your son so he can show you stuff he has seen without you needing to go to it.

Might be fun taking pictures of stuff  maybe up stairs or wildlife they always want you to enjoy the things they have seen. 

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 2

If on southern rivers the train can be your friend as well, stations at brudall/cantley/reedham/somerleyton/beccles/oulton broad, oulton is an easy train ride into lowestoft giving you the beach as well.

If slow on your feet I would rule out rockland playpark as it's a steepish hill with narrow footpath so not good for a mobility scooter (and I wouldn't use one on the road there).

Electric bike is a great idea, even a regular bike is far less effort than walking and lots of the places are flat.

Hi @catcouk

Here are some suggestions for you:

Northern Broads

• Take a wheelchair accessible boat trip aboard Ra the Solar Boat at Hoveton
  • Enjoy an accessible sailing or canoe trip with the Nancy Oldfield Trust at Neatishead
  • Visit the floating wildlife visitor centre and go wildlife spotting at NWT Ranworth Broad, or visit the Broads Authority information centre at Ranworth Staithe to learn more about the local wildlife and history
  • St Helen's Church at Ranworth, the church tea-room, visitor centre and sensory garden offer an accessible visit, ramps are available to enter the church
  • Hire a wheelchair-accessible day boat from Broads Tours and explore the River Bure
  • Browse the exhibits and take an accessible boat trip at the Museum of the Broads in Stalham
  • Hire tandem bicycles at Broadland Cycle Hire in Horning
  • St Benet's Abbey near Ludham is a very atmospheric site to visit, with some accessible areas
  • Enjoy the views and Braille signs on the accessible boardwalk at Barton Broad, and visit the viewing platform; there's also an accessible boardwalk at Filby Broad
  • Filby and Rollesby Broads have suitable access for angling, and Martham Pits is another good place
  • Hire a mobility scooter to enjoy the gardens and take an accessible boat trip at Fairhaven Woodland and Water Garden (South Walsham)
  • Take a river cruise aboard the wheelchair-friendly 'Queen of the Broads' and 'Belle of the Broads' with Broads Tours, or the 'Southern Comfort' Mississippi River Boat in Horning
  • Take a trip on the accessible miniature Bure Valley Railway or venture along the flat Bure Valley Railway Path

Southern Broads

• Get close to nature and visit the Suffolk Wildlife Trust Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve and Visitor Centre (Oulton Broad)
  • The Roman monument at Burgh Castle includes some accessible areas and offers one of the best views in the Broads
  • Take an accessible boat trips with Waveney Stardust (Beccles) and Waveney Sailability (Lowestoft)
  • Enjoy a picnic and relax at easy access green spaces near the waterways at Beccles Quay, Oulton Broad (with Nicholas Everitt Park), Cow Tower and Pull's Ferry (Norwich)
  • Venture out to Wheatfen Nature Reserve at Surlingham and explore the easy-access boardwalk linking the car park to the bird hide

Accessible places to eat and drink

In addition to food and drink available at the places above, below are some places to eat which are wheelchair accessible (we suggest you call in advance of your visit to check any specific requirements you might have):

• Indulge in some shopping and refuel in one of the quaint cafes at Wroxham Barns
  • Browse the brewery shop and eat at Woodforde's Flagship pub/restaurant The Fur and Feather Inn
  • Enjoy delicious food and picturesque views at the wheelchair-accessible Filby Bridge restaurant
  • Eat and drink at the wheelchair-accessible Ferry Inn, Horning
  • Dine at the wheelchair-accessible Waterside Restaurant (Rollesby) and enjoy views over Rollesby Broad from their flat wooden decking
  • Visit the Flint Barn Cafe at Whitlingham Country Park after exploring the paths around the Broad (advisable in summer/dry periods only)

Accessible places to stay

Below are some ideas for accessible places to stay during your visit:

• Self-catering stays at Hall Farm Cottages in Horning caters for disabled visitors
  • Limes Farm self catering cottage in Ludham offers disabled access and has a wet room
  • Wheatacre Hall Barns in Beccles have a number of easy-access cottages (contact first)
  • The Nancy Oldfield Trust's Kenyon Bungalow at Neatishead offers accessible stays and boat trip opportunities
  • Cotenham Barns (Panxworth) have accessible options, including the fully-accessible Cotenham Garden Cottage
  • The Threshing Barn at Mill Farm Eco Barn, Winterton-on-Sea is accessible

For links to businesses and activities: https://www.visitthebroads.co.uk/discover-the-broads/about-the-broads/accessible-visits

Hope that helps,

Tom

• Like 9
  • Thanks 12
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Hi @catcouk

Here are some suggestions for you:

Northern Broads

• Take a wheelchair accessible boat trip aboard Ra the Solar Boat at Hoveton
  • Enjoy an accessible sailing or canoe trip with the Nancy Oldfield Trust at Neatishead
  • Visit the floating wildlife visitor centre and go wildlife spotting at NWT Ranworth Broad, or visit the Broads Authority information centre at Ranworth Staithe to learn more about the local wildlife and history
  • St Helen's Church at Ranworth, the church tea-room, visitor centre and sensory garden offer an accessible visit, ramps are available to enter the church
  • Hire a wheelchair-accessible day boat from Broads Tours and explore the River Bure
  • Browse the exhibits and take an accessible boat trip at the Museum of the Broads in Stalham
  • Hire tandem bicycles at Broadland Cycle Hire in Horning
  • St Benet's Abbey near Ludham is a very atmospheric site to visit, with some accessible areas
  • Enjoy the views and Braille signs on the accessible boardwalk at Barton Broad, and visit the viewing platform; there's also an accessible boardwalk at Filby Broad
  • Filby and Rollesby Broads have suitable access for angling, and Martham Pits is another good place
  • Hire a mobility scooter to enjoy the gardens and take an accessible boat trip at Fairhaven Woodland and Water Garden (South Walsham)
  • Take a river cruise aboard the wheelchair-friendly 'Queen of the Broads' and 'Belle of the Broads' with Broads Tours, or the 'Southern Comfort' Mississippi River Boat in Horning
  • Take a trip on the accessible miniature Bure Valley Railway or venture along the flat Bure Valley Railway Path

Southern Broads

• Get close to nature and visit the Suffolk Wildlife Trust Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve and Visitor Centre (Oulton Broad)
  • The Roman monument at Burgh Castle includes some accessible areas and offers one of the best views in the Broads
  • Take an accessible boat trips with Waveney Stardust (Beccles) and Waveney Sailability (Lowestoft)
  • Enjoy a picnic and relax at easy access green spaces near the waterways at Beccles Quay, Oulton Broad (with Nicholas Everitt Park), Cow Tower and Pull's Ferry (Norwich)
  • Venture out to Wheatfen Nature Reserve at Surlingham and explore the easy-access boardwalk linking the car park to the bird hide

Accessible places to eat and drink

In addition to food and drink available at the places above, below are some places to eat which are wheelchair accessible (we suggest you call in advance of your visit to check any specific requirements you might have):

• Indulge in some shopping and refuel in one of the quaint cafes at Wroxham Barns
  • Browse the brewery shop and eat at Woodforde's Flagship pub/restaurant The Fur and Feather Inn
  • Enjoy delicious food and picturesque views at the wheelchair-accessible Filby Bridge restaurant
  • Eat and drink at the wheelchair-accessible Ferry Inn, Horning
  • Dine at the wheelchair-accessible Waterside Restaurant (Rollesby) and enjoy views over Rollesby Broad from their flat wooden decking
  • Visit the Flint Barn Cafe at Whitlingham Country Park after exploring the paths around the Broad (advisable in summer/dry periods only)

Accessible places to stay

Below are some ideas for accessible places to stay during your visit:

• Self-catering stays at Hall Farm Cottages in Horning caters for disabled visitors
  • Limes Farm self catering cottage in Ludham offers disabled access and has a wet room
  • Wheatacre Hall Barns in Beccles have a number of easy-access cottages (contact first)
  • The Nancy Oldfield Trust's Kenyon Bungalow at Neatishead offers accessible stays and boat trip opportunities
  • Cotenham Barns (Panxworth) have accessible options, including the fully-accessible Cotenham Garden Cottage
  • The Threshing Barn at Mill Farm Eco Barn, Winterton-on-Sea is accessible

For links to businesses and activities: https://www.visitthebroads.co.uk/discover-the-broads/about-the-broads/accessible-visits

Hope that helps,

Tom

What an excellent post, it wold be great if we could have that pinned somehow?

• Like 5