Suggestions For The Less Able?

catcouk

Well, the wife agreed to give it a go! Thanks for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I appreciate the houseboat suggestions but I'm at my happiest chugging down the river and boat handling.

We have booked the absolute cheapest boat on the broads but I've only had good experiences from Richardson's so I am really looking forward to it. Bathtubs are not my favourite but it will mean we can cruise up to Coltishall. I just hope the boat isn't too rustic!

I'll be sure to create a new thread to let y'all know what we get up to.

IMG_20230313_174008.jpg

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Andythetiddler said:

If you’re going to Coltishall, you should push on to the lock to moor. It’s only a short walk then to Horstead playground. 
I am planning to take my grandchildren there in June when I’m hiring Jocelyn from Martham. 

Are there moorings at the locks? I'm ashamed to say I have never used rond anchors and lack the confidence to do it...

Also, I love going to the navigation limits. Dilham is the only rural one I haven't done (but I'm always worried I there won't be a free mooring as it's so small!).

3 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Dilham as about  3 average  size moorings. We went to the cross keys last September,very good.

That's what worries me. If there isn't a free spot, it's a long way to find the next free moorings!

Coltishall Locks is a wild mooring, we love it and have never had a problem with the rhond anchors, especially as there’s just a gentle river current up there. However, the bank is rather uneven, so if you do have any mobility issues maybe it’s one to avoid? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Coltishall Locks is a wild mooring, we love it and have never had a problem with the rhond anchors, especially as there’s just a gentle river current up there. However, the bank is rather uneven, so if you do have any mobility issues maybe it’s one to avoid? 

I really will have to be brave and learn how to use rhond anchors! But probably not on this occasion...

There used to be paid for moorings above Weyford bridge but they are now (or were last time we went past) marked as private. There is a BA free 24 hour mooring on the east bank immediately before (downstream of) the bridge. Space for 2-3 boats, though probably subject to road noise. We've only stopped there during the day. It's a fairly short walk from there, passing under the bridge and across the road, to the Weyford Bridge Hotel. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Coltishall Lock - Highly recommended.  As for using Rhond anchors - Brave? - Really?  I did an instructional video on how to set / remove a rhond anchor - Its in here and on Youtube

Griff

I think I may have even watched that video before. It's trusting they will stay and a general nervousness of getting the boat (and prop) close to the bank!

17 minutes ago, catcouk said:

I think I may have even watched that video before. It's trusting they will stay and a general nervousness of getting the boat (and prop) close to the bank!

generally on the broads its at least 3 foot deep right off the bank (ie with the boat touching it) as most boats draw a lot less than that its fine, even down south where there is a greater tidal rise and fall its deep enough (just dont cut the corners too tight on the bure if you head down below Acle, i have touched bottom several times on the way down there, a full boat width off the bank)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have written up our full holiday elsewhere but here is a brief summary of what we actually did on our short break that I hope can be a help to others:

Moored at Ludham Bridge overnight; explored the little shop and bakery in the morning.

Visited the Stracey Arms shop and cafe saw the donkeys and goats.

Moored at Salhouse Broad and walked up the slight hill to the coffee shack.

Got ice cream from the ice cream boat (just above Salhouse Broad).

Moored at Hoveton St John Staithe overnight (under the bridge) which is by the back of Roys car park; had McDonalds; visited the Broads Information Centre.

Got the train from Wroxham & Hoveton station (we visited the North Norfolk Railway but the world is your oyster).

Moored at Coltishall Common overnight; right by two pubs.

Mudweighted in Malthouse Broad to have lunch (my wife had to lift the mudweight).

Visited Toad Hole Cottage at How Hill (replica of an original marshman's cottage).

Moored at Irstead Staithe (could also have been Gaye's Staithe of needed) and used my e-bike to visit the Barton Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is amazingly accessible IF you can get there.

Moored overnight at Wayford Bridge (pub close by) but might be more sensible to spend the last night back at the yard.

I've planned a video but I haven't decided if the footage I have is good enough yet...

• 4 weeks later...

For those that have followed this thread, I did threaten to release a video showing exactly what we got up to. Apologies it has taken so long, I had a few issues with my video editing software refusing to publish it. But here is what our holiday looked like even with me having Long Covid (so no lovely walks like in the past but still a great time) - I hope that it can be useful to others worried about a trip.

Someone on the Internet did comment on my boat review video telling me that Long Covid (that I suffer from) doesn't exist. Whilst I absolutely respect their right to an opinion, it seems a little rude telling me that the illness I suffer from can't possibly exist - they're now blocked!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, catcouk said:

For those that have followed this thread, I did threaten to release a video showing exactly what we got up to. Apologies it has taken so long, I had a few issues with my video editing software refusing to publish it. But here is what our holiday looked like even with me having Long Covid (so no lovely walks like in the past but still a great time) - I hope that it can be useful to others worried about a trip.

Someone on the Internet did comment on my boat review video telling me that Long Covid (that I suffer from) doesn't exist. Whilst I absolutely respect their right to an opinion, it seems a little rude telling me that the illness I suffer from can't possibly exist - they're now blocked!

Just watched your excellent video. My fat fingers accidentally clicked on the thumbs down button but hastily rectified it by clicking on like!   I also believe I’m classed as having long covid, but thankfully not in energy levels.  I got covid right at the beginning before testing and before losing taste and smell was on the list. I still haven’t got those senses back fully. Its very hit and miss and nothing tastes as I remember it so I absolutely believe there is such a thing as long covid.  

• Like 3