Ranworth Mooring Fees?

Chelsea14Ian

you dont even need to be resident to be a parishoner of a parish -

Not resident in the parish but is a member of the Church of England (or a Church with which the Church of England is in communion) and has habitually attended worship in the parish during the six months prior to enrolment; or

you just need to regularly go to church in the parish

I see some big loopholes forming in their plan, and attendance at Ranworth church might improve as a side benefit too.

https://lawandreligionuk.com/2019/03/04/who-may-enter-a-parish-church/

I did read the advert recently for the Liana trip boat operator will also collect mooring fees, help with boats mooring and cover the visitors centre when required. 

Not sure they can justify the £10 fee to cover staffing costs when they are expected to cover other roles as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrundallNavy said:

I did read the advert recently for the Liana trip boat operator will also collect mooring fees, help with boats mooring and cover the visitors centre when required. 

Not sure they can justify the £10 fee to cover staffing costs when they are expected to cover other roles as well. 

Did the words "must be prepared to put up with a great deal of abuse" appear on the job advert?

If the charge does come into effect before we come on 22nd April, this is one holiday maker who won’t be mooring at Ranworth or spending money in the pub or gift shop! If the weather conditions are right, we’ll mudweight on the broad overnight and cook our own meal and drink our own wine! :default_biggrin:
Chris

• Like 1

Wasn't they also proposing a £5 daytime fee?

Just think about the turnover of boats that use to moor up for an hour or two to have a pint / walk - Think this charge might significantly reduce the 'passing trade' as people will now want to stay as long as possible to get their 'moneys worth'

Is it entirely down to the BA if there is going to be a charge? As I mentioned earlier, we tend to be daytime visitors for a breakfast in the cafe, walk to the church (with a donation to walk up the tower) a visit to the shop for an ice cream.

a charge for daytime mooring might just put me off. I wonder what the views of the local businesses are?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grendel said:

I would still like to see what the rangers reaction would be if you claimed to be a parishoner at ranworth. (due to it being absolutely clear in the title deeds that parishoners cannot be charged).

would you need proof?

would they be allowed to ask for proof?

would they still claim they could charge you?

Well they are not in a position to issue a fixed penalty notice and they have no legal standing especially the volunteers so the answer would be no, as the charge is potentially unlawful you could suggest they are guilty of obtaining monies under false pretences.

Fred   

1 hour ago, Davydine said:

Is it entirely down to the BA if there is going to be a charge? As I mentioned earlier, we tend to be daytime visitors for a breakfast in the cafe, walk to the church (with a donation to walk up the tower) a visit to the shop for an ice cream.

a charge for daytime mooring might just put me off. I wonder what the views of the local businesses are?

It is not entirely down to the BA, they are subject to the law the same as everyone else, it was shown with Reedham that they couldn't legally charge on what is a historically free public  quay and I believe they have been advised of that again by their own legal advisors, that should also apply to Ranworth.

Fred

• Like 2

4 hours ago, grendel said:

you dont even need to be resident to be a parishoner of a parish -

you just need to regularly go to church in the parish

I see some big loopholes forming in their plan, and attendance at Ranworth church might improve as a side benefit too.

https://lawandreligionuk.com/2019/03/04/who-may-enter-a-parish-church/

No good then if you are Jewish, Muslim or Hindu ...

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I wonder if there is a way to affiliate the NBN with St Helen’s ergo meaning that any member of our congregation at the NBN would automatically be regarded as parishioners of Ranworth parish :default_biggrin:

Could we all get Hackney Carriage badges and start by the dingy Duke and slowly move anti clockwise towards the woods ? :default_biggrin:

Kindest Regards Marge and Parge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't think it will affect the shop or visitors to Ranworth - people mooring up tend to be in the minority compared to visitors going to the village as a whole which is generally rammed in the summer. Indeed as it seems lots of people won't bother to moor there now, it might reduce the crush of boats trying to!!

If you dont want to pay, mudweight and enjoy the boats jostling to pay, after all what is a pretty modest fee. I pay rates yet have to pay to park in Norwich and I think that visitors will just pay, as they do at Norwich YS, Salhouse, Yarmouth, Oulton, and Beccles plus many other places. At least you don't have to download an app as you now do in lots of places.

Neither do I think the Ranger will get a lot of abuse - people understand you have to pay to park your car all over Norfolk and quite frankly if you do abuse the guy doing his job you should be ashamed of yourself. As we get older we have to understand we live in a real world and not in one based on values some 50 years ago!

Well thats my view despite the fact I have never ever moored at Ranworth!!!!

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, marshman said:

If you dont want to pay, mudweight and enjoy the boats jostling to pay, after all what is a pretty modest fee. I pay rates yet have to pay to park in Norwich and I think that visitors will just pay, as they do at Norwich YS, Salhouse, Yarmouth, Oulton, and Beccles plus many other places. At least you don't have to download an app as you now do in lots of places.

In other words we should just accept orders from "on high", do what we are told and meekly give in to yet another un-democratic extortion.

This is what the French would call a "chantage".

• Like 6

The one thing it will do is make more likely that there will be a mooring available when you arrive,  there has been many times when i have not been able to moor when i arrive as they were full then having to mud weight spend time looking for some one to leave then racing to get there before others with the same idea. John

Car parking charges anywhere are pretty undemocratic too but visitors still pay them without moaning - there used to be loads of places around the coast where I remember parking for free where I now no longer can!

Its not as though you are forced to moor at Ranworth - as I have said its probably the last place I want to be BUT if you want to go to the pub or the tea rooms and can get a spot, I dont think £10 is unreasonable!! Perhaps if this encourages people to ask for dinghies, that trend will grow again - or you can buy my 10' rowing and sailing dinghy sitting on my front lawn!!!! That must be worth more now with this furore!!!

I do think it's a dripping  tap.High charges,moorings  charges st pubs.Some of which not refunded with food.Now purposed charges at Ranworth  and Reedham.I don't think it makes good business  sense now ,with cost of living increases. I just hope  the tap doesn't  drip to fast.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, marshman said:

Car parking charges anywhere are pretty undemocratic too but visitors still pay them without moaning - there used to be loads of places around the coast where I remember parking for free where I now no longer can!

Its not as though you are forced to moor at Ranworth - as I have said its probably the last place I want to be BUT if you want to go to the pub or the tea rooms and can get a spot, I dont think £10 is unreasonable!! Perhaps if this encourages people to ask for dinghies, that trend will grow again - or you can buy my 10' rowing and sailing dinghy sitting on my front lawn!!!! That must be worth more now with this furore!!!

Not everyone who uses a council car park contributes to their rates, everyone who moors at Ranworth contributes through tolls.

Fred

• Like 4

19 hours ago, BrundallNavy said:

Agreed the clue is in the title, Visitor Centre Officer primary duties non navigational, the mooring attendants are usually volunteers, just to be clear on status there are no Rangers at Ranworth so calls into question how much authority the staff have other than reporting back to HQ.

Fred

• Like 1

Ignoring all the flying teddies,  the matter is quite simple. If the BA can legally charge, then sooner or later they will.

If such an action is not legal then the BA may try it, but they do so at their own risk. 

Finally, if such an option is illegal,  and they try it, and they are caught out,  then it's "goodbye gong" for the doctor, whose wife will not be a happy bunny.