Ranworth Mooring Fees?

Chelsea14Ian

18 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

I too bear witness to The BA’s own version of Sir Lancelot wielding his jousting lance at what he obviously considers as shiny white dragons approaching his shoreline .

His stance is more that of someone wishing to repel the hoard as opposed to assisting in mooring , he leaps with gay abandon on boats hire or private to fulfil his quest and we are expected to pay for that!!!

He would only leap on my boat just the once😡

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

On the BA Yacht Station Webpage though they have included the new fees at GY & Norwich - Reedham still stated as  "Free"

GY and Norwich are Yacht stations and always had a fee, Ranworth and Reedham are public Quays or Staithes and always been free there in lies the difference.

Fred

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

And I recon half of that boathook would vanish from sight too! Tis dark up there...

It’s not the going up that’s the problem . . . . . . . Getting its back out again might be more of an issue!! :default_rofl:

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Maxwellian said:

I have seen more adult discussions in a play group

You'll hear a much less adult discussion when some idiot is aiming a boathook at your boat, from you.

Boathooks are for pulling ropes not fending grp or paint or wood or anything smackinthechopsable. 

• Like 4

The answer seems very simple to me.

All that is needed is a second mudweight.

Reverse very slowly toward the staithe  as you would normally and when about 2 feet away from the staithe lower a mudweight over the stern and make fast. Then go to the bow and lower the other one and make fast.

You then should have a boat which will stay still but is not moored to the staithe so cannot be charged for mooring to the staithe.

Simple !!!!!       lol

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Boat Hook.

For generations an integral piece of equipment to be found on nearly every boat, private or hire, on the Norfolk Broads. Sadly for better or worse it is now receiving bad press. Where from ? Its most favourite advocate in the past, the hirer now turned private owner. Why? Well, as a hirer, poking another hire boat was good sport.

However the tide has turned, hire boats believe it or not oare in the minority.

The private boat owner has a justified concern when confronted,  threatened by the boat hook by a novice by a person of little understanding of the consequences.

A new varient of the boat hook has appeared. The telescopic boat hook. Collapsible. Has been known to collapse without warning, during times of duress, beware of this nasty thing. I am unable to offer any further advice other than to venture to suggest that rarely seen or used by boatman.

There you have it. My take on the boat hook. A silly thing. Rarely used if ever used on a boat yard, work boats, life boats but seemingly favoured by those of little understanding.

It does have its uses but it is not a fender, it should not be used to avoid contact, to act as a protection.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I have always enjoyed a sunny aftenoon at Ranworth, moored on the front, watching the world float by. Even as a hirer though, the sight of another boat, hurtling backwards towards the gap alongside you, set the heart-a-pumping! But now, as one of our boat owners, I only moor, either down the side or on the other side of the boat dyke where there is less chance of sustaining a clattering.

We generally eat in the pub.....(over the years has been both good and not so...) but usually after dinner will either move and mudweight on the broad, or cruise slowly back to our home mooring in Horning.....the quiet, gentle evening cruise is one of my great pleasures in boating....

So....I am at a bit of a loss as what to do about paying to moor. Not going at all is cutting my nose off etc, but to pay a tenner just to have dinner in the pub when we are not staying overnight......

Time will tell. By the end of the season I will no doubt have adapted my itinerary to accommodate the change.

And like most of us, I am annoyed with the introduction of charges, but, like most of us, my annoyance is toward the authority that made the decision, not the poor ranger (barely above the national minimum wage) doing her or his best to keep the wolf from the door in a difficult, seasonal job market, in an astonishingly thankless (insofar as the charging goes) challenging role.

If the charges are introduced in a couple of weeks, and I do choose to moor there, I, like most of us, will always treat the ranger with respect, will pay my due, and thank my lucky stars that I am able to choose where I float.

• Like 8

There's no reason whatsoever to abuse the ranger over the charge, just point to the toll number and say no thanks I've already paid, do what you have to do.

But if they shove a boathook at your gelcoat abuse is to be expected, you wouldn't be polite to someone about the key your car would you?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bucket said:

I have always enjoyed a sunny aftenoon at Ranworth, moored on the front, watching the world float by. Even as a hirer though, the sight of another boat, hurtling backwards towards the gap alongside you, set the heart-a-pumping! But now, as one of our boat owners, I only moor, either down the side or on the other side of the boat dyke where there is less chance of sustaining a clattering.

We generally eat in the pub.....(over the years has been both good and not so...) but usually after dinner will either move and mudweight on the broad, or cruise slowly back to our home mooring in Horning.....the quiet, gentle evening cruise is one of my great pleasures in boating....

So....I am at a bit of a loss as what to do about paying to moor. Not going at all is cutting my nose off etc, but to pay a tenner just to have dinner in the pub when we are not staying overnight......

Time will tell. By the end of the season I will no doubt have adapted my itinerary to accommodate the change.

And like most of us, I am annoyed with the introduction of charges, but, like most of us, my annoyance is toward the authority that made the decision, not the poor ranger (barely above the national minimum wage) doing her or his best to keep the wolf from the door in a difficult, seasonal job market, in an astonishingly thankless (insofar as the charging goes) challenging role.

If the charges are introduced in a couple of weeks, and I do choose to moor there, I, like most of us, will always treat the ranger with respect, will pay my due, and thank my lucky stars that I am able to choose where I float.

My word Bucket.

In one post you have encapsulated the fundamental flaw in this most unsavoury episode. 

You have focused on the most important aspect of the Broads experience. That of consideration

Somewhat one-sided which does not favour the boater, in fact places them financially disadvantaged, and isolated with regard to any positive, constructive, solution.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, marshman said:

If you were trying to pick up a buoy in a fairway, you would find a boat hook very handy indeed - they do have a function!!!

I agree. Been there, done that, many times on a river cruiser on Wroxham Broad. 

Never used one when working on a boat yard. Or on a recognised BA mooring. 

Needed one last year on a half decker, in the reeds on the Bure, with only a paddle.

Bit embarrassing, but there you go!

• 6 months later...

If folk stopped using ranworth this madness would stop. We are currently on a 17 night holiday, we love the broads, but have opted to not go to ranworth, the pub, shop and local economy have lost £100-£200 pounds. Those businesses would soon stand up to the broads authority and get this stupid toll cancelled, i fear more moorings will follow suit as the great British public once again roll over and pay! 

All this to most likely pay for pay rises for the ***** who come up with these stupid schemes! 

• Like 3