Swan Moorings

Bernard

I think those charges are pretty disgraceful. They will get away with it to some degree with those patrons who are merely there for holiday who, will accept it as part and parcel of their holiday costs especially those who are hiring on the Broads for the first time and will be completely unaware they are being ripped off. Sadly racking up costs like that could deter them from taking a similar hoiliday again so indirectly these sorts of establishments'  blatant greed could have an adverse effect on the hire boat industry.

Carole

• Like 4

I can't think of anywhere else who charges so much except perhaps the Wroxham Hotel? It wouldn't be so bad if they offered a discount on food. I guess they get away of it because of the location. What do you pay overnight at the New Inn and Ferry nowadays?

I am coming back to the broads for the first time in a five years in Sept and after reading about all the mooring changes and charges, I'm actually finding it quite daunting about where we'll actually be able to go and get in.

I've never felt like this before a broads trip, always been excited but it doesn't seem like we are going to be able to go where I normally would before unless I pay a small fortune.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

playing devils advocate here -is it that unreasonable though, at best there are 3 moorings, and the swan has to pay to maintain those moorings and quay headings, so by charging they might raise nearly £100 a day, how much do new quay headings cost (I dont know, but £1000 a metre doesnt seem unlikely), so say they have 50m of quay heading (£50,000 and this may be a gross underestimate) and say they get the full income from the moorings 150 days of the year, thats well over3 years of income. for a business trying to keep afloat in the current economic climate, that may be faced in the next few years with replacing the quay heading, is that so bad- I dont know what the current state of the quay headings are there, (or how much they own- do theyhave to maintain the moorings for Southern Comfort too?), so that just my view on the matter.

• Like 1

There was a section that had to be repaired in the last few years, I think they probably have to maintain the area up to the sailing club bridge but the Q might correct me on this.  Some sections do have club boats moored but not all.

I think this is a difficult one to answer really - I don't know how they plan to recoup the mooring fees, whether they intend employing a full time member of staff which up to now they haven't or not in recent years anyway, unlike the New Inn or the Ferry

1 hour ago, hazelgirl said:

I am coming back to the broads for the first time in a five years in Sept and after reading about all the mooring changes and charges, I'm actually finding it quite daunting about where we'll actually be able to go and get in.

I've never felt like this before a broads trip, always been excited but it doesn't seem like we are going to be able to go where I normally would before unless I pay a small fortune.

It all depends on where you want to moor. Assuming you're hiring, you can moor for free in boatyards overnight although just check with them first to make sure you're not in the way of their own returning boats. This comes in really handy at Horning as you have Ferry Marina boatyard and at Wroxham Barnes Brinkcraft usually have space. Richardsons always have space and Herbert Woods are generally OK. You also have Bridgecraft at Acle although there are usually bank moorings there available somewhere. Aside from that if you're happy to eat aboard, wild moorings are fairly plentiful on the Ant and there are a few on the Bure.

• Like 2

The Swan has always been a family favourite, we must have spent a small fortune in there over the years. I don't like to knock any business trying to survive but this seems a tad greedy to me although I understand they have the moorings to upkeep etc. People are being priced out of a broads holiday with the current cost of hire without the now added extras of mooring fees. To not be refundable if you eat and drink is a kick in the teeth.

It's not a case for wanting to boycott them for their greed but not being able to afford to eat, drink and moor there

The alternative is to stock up well with food and drink (wine) find wild moorings or mudweight if you don't have pets to worry about

Not a bad alternative really :default_biggrin: x

• Like 9

Great advantage of winter cruising is you don't get stung for mooring fees. :default_biggrin:

I'll say one thing for the Swan, they don't boot you out early, they pretty much stick to the advertised hours :default_beerchug:

This is the mooring fees for the Ferry, not sure about the New Inn. 

DSC_4913.JPG

• Thanks 2

The way prices are increasing this year, someone must think that Broads boating is the sport of millionaire playboys (or is that playpersons nowadays) .  Seriously, I wouldn't eat there if they paid me. The quality of their food is extremely variable and you wouldn't get me mooring there at those prices.

No doubt they will get their 10 or so dayboats every lunchtime at £10 each and their 3 overnight moorers at £20 each at weekends and school holidays but I think they are seriously limiting their water-borne custom at these levels.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NorfolkNog said:

Great advantage of winter cruising is you don't get stung for mooring fees. :default_biggrin:

I'll say one thing for the Swan, they don't boot you out early, they pretty much stick to the advertised hours :default_beerchug:

This is the mooring fees for the Ferry, not sure about the New Inn. 

DSC_4913.JPG

Not that we've stayed at the Ferry Inn recently (always full when we pass), but at least the mooring fee is refundable against food and drink, which is fair enough and deters people mooring up and not using the facilities.

Edited by Karizma
clarifying comments made for Ferry Inn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

The way prices are increasing this year, someone must think that Broads boating is the sport of millionaire playboys (or is that playpersons nowadays) .  Seriously, I wouldn't eat there if they paid me. The quality of their food is extremely variable and you wouldn't get me mooring there at those prices.

No doubt they will get their 10 or so dayboats every lunchtime at £10 each and their 3 overnight moorers at £20 each at weekends and school holidays but I think they are seriously limiting their water-borne custom at these levels.  

I would say that the lack of available moorings in Horning will have a greater impact on their water borne custom to be fair.

• Like 1

I've no problem at all with paying a mooring fee if it's fully refundable (as per The Ferry) because if I wasn't planning to eat at the pub I wouldn't moor there so it's as good as a free mooring.

16 minutes ago, CeePee1952 said:

Room for 30 to 40 boats????

Not far off, I'd say if it's full both sides and they're not all 46 footers.

• Like 4

Lucky us having a home mooring in Horning! Mind you, the Swan, New Inn and Ferry Inn aren’t my first choice. On winter visits when the weather is too windy for cruising we have been known to hop in the car to visit The White Horse Neatishead, or even The White Horse Upton. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, grendel said:

playing devils advocate here -is it that unreasonable though, at best there are 3 moorings, and the swan has to pay to maintain those moorings and quay headings, so by charging they might raise nearly £100 a day, how much do new quay headings cost (I dont know, but £1000 a metre doesnt seem unlikely), so say they have 50m of quay heading (£50,000 and this may be a gross underestimate) and say they get the full income from the moorings 150 days of the year, thats well over3 years of income. for a business trying to keep afloat in the current economic climate, that may be faced in the next few years with replacing the quay heading, is that so bad- I dont know what the current state of the quay headings are there, (or how much they own- do theyhave to maintain the moorings for Southern Comfort too?), so that just my view on the matter.

If I may politely say b######t

It's the Norfolk Business Plan.

If no one else has read it.

Diminishing returns so squeeze the existing customers until the pips squeak.

Don't worry because some other mug will be here next week/ year and they will pay. 

And then no one came. 😳

Then we will blame the Broads Authority, The National Parks, the Pandemic, Mad cow disease, foot and mouth, cost of living crisis in fact anything but our own greed.

Seen it before and will contact to see it again until........ I have no Idea 😫

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

The New Inn charge £15 with Electric £25.No money  off food.Okay we're lucky living in Martham no need to bring the boat to Horning,but the charges for all three pubs is in my opinion  unreasonable. 

The Ferry’s charge is refundable against food, so as long as you eat, it’s free.  I can’t really see an issue with that.  Looking at The Swans responses to the comments on FB Broads groups, they are relying on trade from passengers on the Southern Comfort trip boat for the bulk of their trade, topped up by day boats and visitors by road.  After all, with moorings as limited as they are there, how much revenue will they loose?