Richardson's Boat Sales

catcouk

I am a self-confessed lover of Richardson's "classic fleet" - whatever you think of how such a fleet was assembled, you cannot argue that the range of boats was outstanding. Whilst looking for a boat, I noticed many familiar names missing (not unusual for a late booking) and was shocked to find them up for sale!

It's not shocking that a yard should be shifting some of its older boats bit I was surprised at the sheer quantity up for sale. Plenty of boats that aren't that interesting to me but I'd always fancied trying Astral Gem or Jollie Richie. I thought the idea of the Jollie Richie was particularly innovative but I guess the family focussed idea didn't pay off?

I was also surprised to see the entire fleet of Aquafibre Ideals on sale (the Challenger/Champagne boats that have a particular reputation for group hires). Some of the boats also had reletively recent facelifts. Odd too with some of the boats they decided to keep instead.

I guess I'm just hoping that all is okay at Stalham. I would be gutted to see the classic fleet disbanded or even further thinned out. The equivalent boats at Woods are nowhere near as nicely kept and they simply don't have the same variety.

• Like 2

Most of the boats you've mentioned were put up for sale at the end of the 2021 season at which point I was also surprised how many were being retired from the hire fleet. I would have thought they'd all have been sold by now being well over a year later but I can see there are a lot still available on the website.

• Like 2

I think it's a strategic shift away from the larger 'stag' boats, as many yards have also done.

It's a bit of a shame as there were quite a few boats that I'd have liked to hire with the group of mates I go boating with every September, but ultimately they're a business and the platinum fleet is very popular.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

Most of the boats you've mentioned were put up for sale at the end of the 2021 season at which point I was also surprised how many were being retired from the hire fleet. I would have thought they'd all have been sold by now being well over a year later but I can see there are a lot still available on the website.

There’s a few on Apolloduck and a couple at NYA, too.