Mudweighting

Royston

Hi  although I have hired many times on the broads the one thing I’ve never done is mudweighted , as I will be visiting in July and September and the moorings particularly in the north may be busy I would be glad of any advice on the matter , I have not come across any info anywhere where and where not to obvs , , it’s  just something I would like to try maybe hireing a dingy to access dry land to walk my chihuahua , Thanks in advance   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Royston said:

Hi  although I have hired many times on the broads the one thing I’ve never done is mudweighted , as I will be visiting in July and September and the moorings particularly in the north may be busy I would be glad of any advice on the matter , I have not come across any info anywhere where and where not to obvs , , it’s  just something I would like to try maybe hireing a dingy to access dry land to walk my chihuahua , Thanks in advance   

Hi. We're thinking of doing the same thing when we are on the northern broads from 22nd April.  Like you we have never mudweighted and are going to give it a go.  I asked the question myself on here not so long back but for the life of me can't find the post (think it's an age thing lol).  We are going to try and mudweight at Ranworth and/or Barton Broad providing the weather conditions are favourable. I'm sure others will be able to give advice better than me so I'll let them advise you :default_smile:

Chris

Thanks Chris yeah I too suffer from the age thing lol , I have had problems getting moored in the past at Ranworth ( always popular ) and Womack staithe which is a favourite spot of mine , In the past with the kids it was always more beneficial to moor nearer to main popular centres whereas now they ain’t comeing it’s not needed so I would like to give it a go and with a rowing dingy could add another dimension to things and make it easier to find overnight stops  , but I e just never come across any specific info , I would be very interested in how you get on in April though Thanks 

• Like 1

Best thing to do. Peace and quiet, no noisy neighbours - perfect. Let out plenty of slack, then you stand less chance of dragging the weight. If you don't have an electric winch, and the weight is stuck, take up as much slack as you can, fasten off, and go slow astern to break the suction. Then haul in. I've mudweighted on practically every broad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Regulo said:

Best thing to do. Peace and quiet, no noisy neighbours - perfect. Let out plenty of slack, then you stand less chance of dragging the weight. If you don't have an electric winch, and the weight is stuck, take up as much slack as you can, fasten off, and go slow astern to break the suction. Then haul in. I've mudweighted on practically every broad. 

Great thanks , That’s also part of my thinking too mate ,  I think like a lot of things it comes down to common sense it’s just that I have not come across any guidelines in regards to where and distance from Bankside’s and such , don’t want to fall foul of any bylaws lol

Mud weighting is one solution to avoiding crowded moorings and mooring fees but hiring a dinghy is becoming more difficult with many yards, including Richardsons, getting rid of their dinghy fleet and smaller yards providing dinghies only to their own customers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Splasher said:

Mud weighting is one solution to avoiding crowded moorings and mooring fees but hiring a dinghy is becoming more difficult with many yards, including Richardsons, getting rid of their dinghy fleet and smaller yards providing dinghies only to their own customers.

Cheers splasher , yeah I was unsure about dingy hire haveing never needed or wanted to previously ( although I’ve done a lot of canoeing and kayaking ) . I have actually in the last hour been on the phone to Brinjs to amend my July booking to include a dingy and they weee most helpful in doing so , I’m really looking forward to haveing the option it gives me , Thanks for reply 

Perhaps now I should advertise the rowing /sailing dinghy I have sitting in my front garden!!

On mudweighting, check which way the wind is blowing and nose slowly towards the side from where its coming i.e. head to wind.  I have only been caught out once in 20 years when the wind went round 180 degrees overnight. Usually in summer months the wind dies away anyway and you can have those stunning evenings the Broads are famous for. Don't lower the mudweight slowly, just let it go making sure your foot is not in a loop and the weight will take itself into the mud.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, marshman said:

Perhaps now I should advertise the rowing /sailing dinghy I have sitting in my front garden!!

On mudweighting, check which way the wind is blowing and nose slowly towards the side from where its coming i.e. head to wind.  I have only been caught out once in 20 years when the wind went round 180 degrees overnight. Usually in summer months the wind dies away anyway and you can have those stunning evenings the Broads are famous for. Don't lower the mudweight slowly, just let it go making sure your foot is not in a loop and the weight will take itself into the mud.

Many thanks for an excellent description 

32 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Main thing before chucking mudweight over is MAKE SURE THERE IS A ROPE ATTACHED, sounds daft but seen it done, and attach the other end as well in case it follows it in, seen that done as well.

Didn't laugh though, honest! (lie)

Yip I can believe it lol

Also when lifting the mudweight, before placing it back in it's place on the bow, make sure you've cleaned it off! I erm thought I'd cleaned it off last year when at Beccles yacht marina. On placing it back on the bow I got splattered good and proper cos I hadn't checked the bottom of the mudweight - doh!! Shan't forget again :default_blush:

Chris

Hi When mud weighting dont drop the weight straight down as you will get splashed but swing/throw it away from the boat, when choosing a spot allow for the boat to swing 360 degrees without hitting the bank or another boat ,finally allow enough slack in the rope for a rise in tide if not weighting at high tide, other wise you may wake up in a different spot as the weight is pulled up by rising tide, when retrieving the weight if stuck in the mud tighten rope of on the cleat then gently drive boat forwards/rearwards to break suction when free  pull weight up, if covered in mud leave it hanging just below water line then drive of retrieving it when it has been washed clean by movement through the water. John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeePee1952 said:

Also when lifting the mudweight, before placing it back in it's place on the bow, make sure you've cleaned it off! I erm thought I'd cleaned it off last year when at Beccles yacht marina. On placing it back on the bow I got splattered good and proper cos I hadn't checked the bottom of the mudweight - doh!! Shan't forget again :default_blush:

Chris

I’ll bare that in mind lol

51 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi When mud weighting dont drop the weight straight down as you will get splashed but swing/throw it away from the boat, when choosing a spot allow for the boat to swing 360 degrees without hitting the bank or another boat ,finally allow enough slack in the rope for a rise in tide if not weighting at high tide, other wise you may wake up in a different spot as the weight is pulled up by rising tide, when retrieving the weight if stuck in the mud tighten rope of on the cleat then gently drive boat forwards/rearwards to break suction when free  pull weight up, if covered in mud leave it hanging just below water line then drive of retrieving it when it has been washed clean by movement through the water. John

More good advice , many thanks John

2 hours ago, marshman said:

Just had a thought (very rare nowadays!). We're out on Royale Light 2 in September this year and it has an electrically operated mudweight. How does that stick sufficiently in the mud if it is being lowered at a constant speed or does it just "freefall" when operated and then winched back up electrically on retrieval?

Chris

I had an electric winch on my boat. In my experience it made no difference that the weight was lowered rather than dropped. There's a vast quantity of sticky mud on the bottom of most Broads, and after a few moments the weight is well and truly in it! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1